diy solar

diy solar

Ecoflow Delta Pro charging from a switching power supply

To test my Delta DC charging, I now purchased a 48v 20a power supply. Looks like my Delta Pro is fine with charging from this PS. I tested it with XT60 cable and got the full 8 amps it provides. I then tested it with the solar cables and got 15.7 amps, 754 watts. That is "probably" good enough in an extended outage situation. I will be testing the PS to see what the AC watt draw is on it. It will give me an idea what a more powerful PS would draw for my auto based inverter charging solution.

I might try the 72v 16.6a PS I found, but it takes weeks to arrive and is probably not returnable. And I already burned up one PS. Maybe @Boo3 could let me know exactly what PS he is using.

As for the variable voltage PS that would not charge the DP above 24v, I do not know why that is the case, but file it away as extra knowledge. I'll be returning that one for sure.

Found a 80v 18a that looks close to what @Boo3 is reporting.

Last edited:
The 48v 20a PS drew 12% more watts on the AC than it provided DC. I used that number to estimate what a 80v vs 72v PS would draw AC wise at 15.7a. I don't want to get too close to the 1500w output of my auto inverter, so I ordered the 72v 20a PS. Will charge a little less than 1200w, but fits my setup the best I think.

With this final piece of the puzzle, I think I could get by for weeks (with conserving) in a power outage using my 2 autos as gas generators.

Automobile --> 1500w PS Inverter @ 1265w AC --> 72v 20a SPS @ 1130w DC --> EcoFlow Delta Pro --> All Home 120v circuits

Tonight I took two of the XT60i plugs that I ordered and made a quick adapter. This allows one to plug in any XT60 plug and the Ecoflow will see the negative pin on the data line allowing 15 Amps. Tonight, I charged from my 12 volt battery at 199 watts.

I had originally thought I would put a selector switch in the adapter, but I decided to keep it simple and just solder the data pin to the negative terminal (the rounded end) as I can always remove this adapter to get 8 amps.
XT60i 15Amp adapter.jpg

Update: I received my 72v 20a switching power supply. Works well, 15.7 amps pulled from the Delta Pro. Seems to draw slightly less AC watts than it outputs DC, instead of 12% more. I'd have maybe gone up to the 80v if I'd known that bit of info, but this will be fine.

At some point I'll be making an adapter like @DarrylG. Thanks for the post!

Hi all - I'm having an issue with charging my Ecoflow Delta Pro and thought I'd see if anyone here has faced a similar issue and can help!

I have an Ecoflow Delta Pro unit powering my campervan systems. I have two charging / input sources hooked up - (1) 600W of solar and (2) 110V AC input via either shore power (a wall outlet) or the van's alternator via a DC-DC charger + inverter setup. However, the Delta Pro occasionally will not accept the 110V AC charge - when plugging it in, I hear a repeated clicking sound (~1 click per second for 4 second intervals) and input wattage displayed is 0. If I toggle the Delta Pro's AC output circuit on / off, that sometimes fixes the issue and the unit starts charging.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I need the unit to reliably start charging when a 110V AC power source is connected.
Thanks!

the XT 60 plug has to have the solar pin on it.. if it doesn't it defaults to 8 amps.. to get 15 amps I think you have to use the solar dongle and hook into the MC4 wiring instead.. I will be playing it with it soon to confirm..

Hi all - I'm having an issue with charging my Ecoflow Delta Pro and thought I'd see if anyone here has faced a similar issue and can help!

I have an Ecoflow Delta Pro unit powering my campervan systems. I have two charging / input sources hooked up - (1) 600W of solar and (2) 110V AC input via either shore power (a wall outlet) or the van's alternator via a DC-DC charger + inverter setup. However, the Delta Pro occasionally will not accept the 110V AC charge - when plugging it in, I hear a repeated clicking sound (~1 click per second for 4 second intervals) and input wattage displayed is 0. If I toggle the Delta Pro's AC output circuit on / off, that sometimes fixes the issue and the unit starts charging.
Does anyone have any idea why this is happening? I need the unit to reliably start charging when a 110V AC power source is connected.
Thanks!
I think Will said that the inverter is run backwards to charge. so its either charging or inverting, but not both.. not sure if I heard that right.. my Xantrax is like that too. that being said, I wonder if you are getting a ground loop.. maybe someone smarter than me can chime in on that.. Im still waiting for my Delta pro to show up..

These switching power supplies on Amazon look a bit sketchy. For those that are using them, how have they been holding up?

I'm no expert, but aren't computer power supply's AC to DC, so is there any way to use one of those with a modified cable? I would trust those power supplies to last longer as they're highly tested and under a lot of load, especially ones used on gaming computers. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1200w+psu&crid=1WY4FAQCAA1FR&sprefix=1200w+psu,aps,71&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

These switching power supplies on Amazon look a bit sketchy. For those that are using them, how have they been holding up?

I'm no expert, but aren't computer power supply's AC to DC, so is there any way to use one of those with a modified cable? I would trust those power supplies to last longer as they're highly tested and under a lot of load, especially ones used on gaming computers. https://www.amazon.com/s?k=1200w+psu&crid=1WY4FAQCAA1FR&sprefix=1200w+psu,aps,71&ref=nb_sb_noss_1
Computer power supplies will put out similar watts, but they do it to various parts of a mother board. The voltage they put out is not all that high either. The SMPS that are available, from my experience, have maybe two outputs to which larger wires can be attached. They are also able to put out higher voltages so smaller wires can be used to carry the current. Right now I use SMPS that put out either 72 or 92 volts and can supply between 20 to 30 amps. Since I connect them to AC using 12 AWG wires, I adjust the voltages so that they do not draw more than 20 Amps from the wall outlet. Ideally, I'd like a power supply that is capable to putting out over 100 VDC and reduce the wires size to the PV input. I do not think that is possible with a computer power supply.

Hi all,
I am just testing with my Delta Max 2000 and two options:
- OEM XT60i with positive middle pin and cigarette plug is working fine with 8A from my fully charged 12V car battery (voltage is 12.2V on battery when charging)
- I made XT60i cable with negative middle pin connected to the same battery, voltage is 12.5V on battery but Delta Max won't charge at all ... Does click inside of it when connected and click after some seconds after disconnected....

Not question anymore: ''Do you think it could be that it needs higher voltage when middle pin on XT60i is negative to start charging ?''

Edit: forget above, it is that reason, it is enough that you have plug some consumer in prior to charging and it kicks in, not sure that draw from it should be at the first connection of XT60 but can tell that it works without consumer if Delta is not turned of after initial consumer in + XT60 negative in :) !

BUT there is another catch ! Delta Max has current limiting only when middle pin is positive (8A) ! When it is negative it will draw over 13A and will restart charging ....
Why I am thinking of these ? I have connected 15V 17A Switching power supply to it for test and this it what happens: it show around 230W charging and restarts ... So if you wanna to charge it with more than 8A @ 12V you need to put DC-DC converter with less than 13A between battery and Delta Max but voltage can be higher. This is how it could be done: https://www.cppower.com.au/products...olated-dc-dc-converter?variant=42597175525544

Thanks, Best L

Last edited:
Hello Lazyass,

Yes, this sounds correct. When the pin has a positive input it tells the Delta that you are charging from a Car Outlet and to limit the amperage to 8a to avoid blowing a fuse. When the pin is negative it assumes you are connected to solar.

According to Ecoflow "DELTA Max connects with up to 2x 400W EcoFlow solar panels to deliver 800W Max solar charging speeds. With a voltage range from 11-100V and the Solar connector, you can also connect other solar panels to your DELTA Max." and from the manual:
"The product supports 11-100V DC input, 10A max current, and 800W max charging power." I am really surprised you are not seeing charging on without the Delta Max connected to a load or at least that is how I am reading your "consumer".

I also don't understand how your the amperage on your switching power supply is an issue. The Delta Max should only accept what it wants to take, which should max out at 10 amps according to the manual. Possibly it is something different about output of the switching power supply. So maybe try a different power supply and see if have the same results.
Thanks for the info.

Hello Lazyass,

Yes, this sounds correct. When the pin has a positive input it tells the Delta that you are charging from a Car Outlet and to limit the amperage to 8a to avoid blowing a fuse. When the pin is negative it assumes you are connected to solar.

According to Ecoflow "DELTA Max connects with up to 2x 400W EcoFlow solar panels to deliver 800W Max solar charging speeds. With a voltage range from 11-100V and the Solar connector, you can also connect other solar panels to your DELTA Max." and from the manual:
"The product supports 11-100V DC input, 10A max current, and 800W max charging power." I am really surprised you are not seeing charging on without the Delta Max connected to a load or at least that is how I am reading your "consumer".

I also don't understand how your the amperage on your switching power supply is an issue. The Delta Max should only accept what it wants to take, which should max out at 10 amps according to the manual. Possibly it is something different about output of the switching power supply. So maybe try a different power supply and see if have the same results.
Thanks for the info.
Yes, with consumer I mean load, watch Youtube video I attached, after turning unit on you need to have some small load on to engage solar charge, after that you can unplug and plug it back and it will start drawing.

I have just tried now with 12.5V car battery and it is the same it draws 190W for a second which is again over 13A at 12.5V ... So I would say that there is current limited when there is no middle pin XT60 or when pin is positive XT60i (2, 4, 6 and 8A by app) and not limited when middle pin is negative XT60i .... Thats my only explanation

Regardin 10 vs 13A on EU page it says 13A max https://eu.ecoflow.com/products/delta-max-portable-power-station?variant=41602659221668
But anyway maybe Pro has limiter to 16A, Max does not. And since it is meant for solar input, you limit V and A with panel setup so it makes sense, Max has some protections because it stops charging but it will not actively limit current.
So that is the reason why these guys sells this: https://www.cppower.com.au/products...olated-dc-dc-converter?variant=42597175525544

L

Yes, with consumer I mean load, watch Youtube video I attached, after turning unit on you need to have some small load on to engage solar charge, after that you can unplug and plug it back and it will start drawing.

I have just tried now with 12.5V car battery and it is the same it draws 190W for a second which is again over 13A at 12.5V ... So I would say that there is current limited when there is no middle pin XT60 or when pin is positive XT60i (2, 4, 6 and 8A by app) and not limited when middle pin is negative XT60i .... Thats my only explanation

Regardin 10 vs 13A on EU page it says 13A max https://eu.ecoflow.com/products/delta-max-portable-power-station?variant=41602659221668
But anyway maybe Pro has limiter to 16A, Max does not. And since it is meant for solar input, you limit V and A with panel setup so it makes sense, Max has some protections because it stops charging but it will not actively limit current.
So that is the reason why these guys sells this: https://www.cppower.com.au/products...olated-dc-dc-converter?variant=42597175525544

L

I can confirm what you're saying. I've struggled with this same issue with my Delta Max. I have an XT60i connector with the middle pin linked to negative so it should detect the charge source as a solar power charging source. The specs for solar DC input on the Delta Max is 11-100v @ 10a max.

Same as you I've tried using a switching power supply in my case 48v @ 5a and I saw a current draw over 336w which is 7a. Then it stops charging and I need to manually intervene.

I'm either thinking I might need be at within the voltage range for example 48v but running at either equal to or above 10a. In your case you're saying you saw power draw above 13a in solar config XT60i. These switching power supplies have overvoltage and over power draw protection so you're right they just stop.

How I understand an MPPT works is it is kinda guessing at how much power it can draw from the source. The 48v was constant, but it tried 1amp then 2 amps then 3, etc. until the DC power supply shut off at 7+ amps. So it would be important to have a DC power supply that could over-power the amount of amps the Ecoflow unit could pull by 120-150% so it would be happy to run constantly at that output.

if the PS is running at 100% duty cycle, or more, it aint gonna last long anyway before thermal shut down or thermal break down.. from what I have heard, most are getting a 20 amp supply at whatever voltage they can to a certain wattage.. I saw a demo using 2 server rack batteries, so it can pull right at 15 amps, and the system hit 1600 watts only for a short period before it started cutting back current due to temp. guessing. I saw the vide where it cut back to around 12oo continuous.

Yes. That is part of its UPS function. I did see a video where a beta tester connect the AC port up to 240 volts and got a massive charge rate, which makes sense since the Delta Pro is also sold in Europe. Which is mostly what the J1776 Electric car charger adapter does. However the video was very brief, made long ago and didn't have a follow up. So I am not certain how it worked out.
Yeah, the DP charges at 3000 watts when the AC power cord is fed 240 volts.

Back