diy solar

diy solar

Efficent microwave?

Back to the OP:

I notice my old 700watt microwave draws 1200watts. Are there more efficient options available?

I guess the point is, it's probably not relevant unless you have a demand problem. It would be a lot MORE wasteful to trash a perfectly good microwave to save 50 watt hours (not kilowatt.... watt) a month. This is my problem with some of the energy saving people talk about. If you are buying new because your microwave died, or you are remodeling your appliances, or building new, then it makes good sense to look at these factors. If you already own it spending $300 odd dollars on a more efficient microwave (or AC, or pump , or car, or ... ) often has a negative ROI, not to mention the waste factor. At a full $0.50/mo if you spend $300 on the appliance thats 600 months, or a 50 year payback. I'd milk what I owned until it dies.

It would be a lot MORE wasteful to trash a perfectly good microwave to save 50 watt hours
That is so true!

I wonder how much money is wasted buying new durable goods in an effort to save a little hydro when in fact they cost more to replace than they save.
And a modern Durable good is not very durable anymore.
This is really troubling to a fellow like me that wants to save money and do the right things from both an economic and environmental perspective.

Recent I repaired a stove for a relative, a board had failed and she was told it was cheaper to replace than fix.
The part cost 299 CDN
I could have repaired the board but its unlikely it would have been reliable ( very cheaply built designed to fail I almost think )
Electronics do not make things like this more efficient or cheaper to own and maintain on their own.
Sadly they probably could if the quality went in, but the energy savings regulations do not take into account the life cycle of these things or the energy required to ship them here from China.

So all I really have to say is if you have something simple and it works your better off to stick with it.
I bet an efficient inverter driven magnetron microwave might save a little energy but the replacement costs when it fails because it is not cost effective to replace will undo all those savings

WIN_20240622_07_38_43_Pro.jpg

Stove is a 10 year old General Electric ( Chinese brand company )

Haier Group Corporation (/ˈhaɪ.ər/)[2] is a Chinese multinational home appliances and consumer electronics company headquartered in Qingdao, Shandong. It designs, develops, manufactures and sells products including refrigerators, air conditioners, washing machines, dryers, microwave ovens, mobile phones, computers, and televisions. The home appliances business, namely Haier Smart Home, has seven global brands – Haier, Casarte, Leader, GE Appliances, Fisher & Paykel, Aqua and Candy.

Last edited:
Its normal
By microwave on the back tells me .
1045watt on 700watt cooking
I test it and its more about 1200watt.
I can see that on my battery what is draws .
For the rest even if you set 500watt or 250 watt mode
Its still use the 1200watt but only in puls systeem.
So it go on and of .

Same with my cooking systeem
induction cooker do the same.
Even if i set it on 400watt .
It go in puls mode and still pull 800watt.

So never forget even if you set the watts for cooking down.
Its still pull the max watts .

I was using a Panasonic 1.1 cu Foot 1200W Inverter Nukelator for many years. On 100% it would pull 74A from my 24V Battery bank. It was great nuker but after 12+ years it started making some unsettling noises and so I retired it.

With some shopping & consideration, I got myself a new Combo Unit that is a 0.9 Cu Foot 900W Microwave/Air-fryer/Convection Oven. It pulls 62A at full power (microwave) a little less in Air-Fry mode and about 68A when using the Convection with the elements. I was a wee bit hesitant at first but now that I got used to it and what it can do, I love it.

I was using a Panasonic 1.1 cu Foot 1200W Inverter Nukelator for many years. On 100% it would pull 74A from my 24V Battery bank. It was great nuker but after 12+ years it started making some unsettling noises and so I retired it.

With some shopping & consideration, I got myself a new Combo Unit that is a 0.9 Cu Foot 900W Microwave/Air-fryer/Convection Oven. It pulls 62A at full power (microwave) a little less in Air-Fry mode and about 68A when using the Convection with the elements. I was a wee bit hesitant at first but now that I got used to it and what it can do, I love it.
Does it use inverter for the air fry mode or does it have resistive elements for that?

From what the docs say it's Microwave & Element for browning and that does seem to be the case as whatever you heat up is evenly heated.

Most of the time i use 10liter electric oven .
Its only 800watt .
300watt /500 watt .
So i Select 300watt to warm it up ( the heat unit bottom go on) than i switch over to the top one (500watt)
Good for a lot of thing and not a big draw on the systeem .
Bread to nice lasagne.
Jip the best unit i use with a Tosti iron .

I do look to the Sharp YC-MG01E-W
Its a 1000watt Combi /oven.
Its run 1000watt microwave and 800watt oven function.
Its 20liter model

I have found the most power efficient method of cooking without having to use propane is my pellet grill. It pulls around 300W after it starts up and pellets are ez to store. Better than having to keep a bunch of propane tanks around. Love the flavor. Only thing is starting them up can get a little smokie. I run it on my portable "yard battery"
1719071493614.png

1719071566406.png

Get a small 600W inverter microwave and never worry about the big wattage
I don't worry about the microwave in my kitchen, the house system works just fine with it. :)

The OP is looking for a more efficient microwave. Even a 600W microwave will draw over 800W plus conversion losses.

Makita MW001GZ 40V MAX XGT Lithium-Ion 1.5 cu-ft. Cordless Microwave

If you're lucky, you can modify it for external input

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240622-122209.png
    Screenshot_20240622-122209.png
    364.5 KB · Views: 1

24 volt ;)

24 volt ;)
I like 48 volts 👹

diy solar

diy solar
Back