diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18KPV Grid Draw

Without grid assist, the 18Kpv may not work for me.

I could/should remove it from the list?

A pair of Victron 10K Quattros is looking better all the time.
You have seen one report of lights flickering, you have probably read many tens of reports of people struggling to get them set up right due to the large feature set or deficient installation, you have not read about the couple of thousand installs that are running with no problems whatsoever.
Mine is set up for off-grid use but still has grid connected for the oh shit moments, low battery or overload bypass. It runs my whole house, lights do not flicker I absolutely would not tolerate that.
I am not a fanboy, I am just telling you when I've read and personally experienced....... Actually I am a fanboy because it is a bloody fine unit.

You have seen one report of lights flickering, you have probably read many tens of reports of people struggling to get them set up right due to the large feature set or deficient installation, you have not read about the couple of thousand installs that are running with no problems whatsoever.

My luck is usually I end up with the problems. :)

My concern is why hasn't this been resolved if indeed it is occurring?

Mine is set up for off-grid use but still has grid connected for the oh shit moments, low battery or overload bypass. It runs my whole house, lights do not flicker I absolutely would not tolerate that.

Light flicker would not be tolerated in this application, I have twenty two 6 bulb LED fixtures for lighting in the shop. Any flicker like the 6500EX, I'd shoot the inverter and send the bill for the bullet to the distributor when I send the unit back.

I am not a fanboy, I am just telling you when I've read and personally experienced....... Actually I am a fanboy because it is a bloody fine unit.
It does have features I may not need so that plays into it. I need something that produces power without hassle and may require grid assist but if the inverter can handle the loads, I don't even need grid assist. I don't need TOU, grid export, and even battery communication.

One report of flickering lights when off grid and I'm gone. :ROFLMAO:

I remember back when I decided to purchase the 6500EX's instead of installing the LV6548's, the reports of light flicker had just started coming in and I thought it was just an isolated issue. Huge mistake, 100 hours of my life I'm not getting back.

Don't need that soap opera again.
Without grid assist, the 18Kpv may not work for me.

I could/should remove it from the list?

A pair of Victron 10K Quattros is looking better all the time.
For those reporting their units work fine, that is great. Cheerlead if you want.

It seems one person is having the problem of light flicker and motors speeding up and slowing down, EG4 seems aware of it yet it hasn't been resolved. I've put off purchase of another inverter as I've waited to see what problems appear with all the latest units coming out.

The possible reactive power problem (or draw from grid) is a little concerning. I'm on guerilla solar here. This latest expansion will drop my utility bill considerably. And I'm not paying for the meter spinning if I'm not getting the power.

18Kpv is currently at the bottom of the list.
Still trying to figure where putting 18kpv on the bottom of my list/ buying a Victron/ Bad expereance with 6500ex or me being a Cheerlead has any thing to do with this page.

Reactive current is actual current but it is out if phase with the voltage, so its not real power. You can still measure it with a clamp meter but the utility meter should not respond to it since its not actual power. Im surprised by that much reactive current. Not a good thing. Reactive current still causes IR losses in wire, etc.

This is correct, it would not be using the power.

Got this from EG4_Jared..
" I was informed that it's normal for the 18kPV to display 3.8-6A on the Grid line without showing on the inverter screen. This represents reactive power from the grid, aiding in the transition times from grid to EPS mode to maintain them below 10ms. It's important to note that this reactive power isn't utilized to power loads."

Sure would be nice if this was mentioned somewhere in specs so we'd know what to expect and if there are ways to minimize the loss. That's a lot of wasted power.

We're always striving to improve our product manuals and spec sheets. I'll pass along your suggestion to our Technical Writing team for review.

Still trying to figure where putting 18kpv on the bottom of my list/ buying a Victron/ Bad expereance with 6500ex or me being a Cheerlead has any thing to do with this page.
Are you serious?

OP was about grid draw on the order of 300W to 400W. Some claim it doesn't, some claim it is reactive. One member states the meter is turning. So what exactly is occurring given these reports?

Then there is the light flicker, EG4 is aware of it according to the member, yet it isn't resolved?

I should buy one because some say they don't have a problem or is they just don't care/notice the issue?

I have a better idea, you pay for it, have it sent to my address and I get to keep it. I won't complain if there are problems, promise. :ROFLMAO:

Where is this lights flickering report at?
I was one of at least a couple...if I go completely off grid mode I get some LED lights flickering and the smaller fans in the house like woodstove blower speed up and slow down randomly. Also have noticed fluorescents dim and brighten. I don't have to run off grid so haven't pursued it further. I don't know if anyone has reported to EG4 or not but I haven't had anyone look at that particular issue. As long as I have grid support I don't have these issues with or without actual grid draw. Should the big one happen and there is no grid I'll have bigger things to be concerned about :)

Last edited:
I was one of at least a couple...if I go completely off grid mode I get some LED lights flickering and the smaller fans in the house like woodstove blower speed up and slow down randomly. Also have noticed fluorescents dim and brighten. I don't have to run off grid so haven't pursued it further. I don't know if anyone has reported to EG4 or not but I haven't had anyone look at that particular issue. As long as I have grid support I don't have these issues with or without actual grid draw. Should the big one happen and there is no grid I'll have bigger things to be concerned about :)
Do you have a critical load panel or line tap?

We are actively look into this and a firmware update has been applied to fix this issue.

critical load panel
I believe they make a 70 amp pool timer that could cut the grid power at night. But I could be wrong. This is a 60 amp 240. You could AC charge just before the timer cuts on for cloudy days. To top off the batteries.

Attachments

• IMG_5051.png
    IMG_5051.png
    291.2 KB · Views: 2
Last edited:
Alright guys...follow up on all my issues. First, kuddos to @EG4_Jared and @Markus_EG4!! They didn't quit until problem was dealt with

Issue 1, Apparent grid draw from reactive power. Oddly, when I asked my utility if I was being charged for reactive power as apparently some commercial customers are, they assured me no...and my meter stopped spinning. Hmmmmm
Issue 2, Fluctuating fan speeds and LED issues in EPS mode...it seems Keurigs can cause this. Unplugged mine and problem is solved.

I'm happy with the 18kpv but thrilled with EG4 customer service. You guys rock!

Issue 1, Apparent grid draw from reactive power. Oddly, when I asked my utility if I was being charged for reactive power as apparently some commercial customers are, they assured me no...and my meter stopped spinning. Hmmmmm
The utility company has no control over if your meter spins faster or if the numbers go up etc.
The only way it could stop spinning is if the meter is defective and they physically removed the meter and change it.
I have never seen a Utility company charge a home owner for Reactive power, most inline home meters cannot even read reactive power!
They only put in CT equipped meters for large Business Accounts, although I have heard that may be changing in the future.
The Point is that the meter most likely stopped spinning because of a setting they changed in the Inverter.

Last edited:
The utility company has no control over if your meter spins faster or if the numbers go up etc.
The only way it could stop spinning is if the meter is defective and they physically removed the meter and change it.
I have never seen a Utility company charge a home owner for Reactive power, most inline home meters cannot even read reactive power!
They only put in CT equipped meters for large Business Accounts, although I have heard that may be changing in the future.
The Point is that the meter most likely stopped spinning because of a setting they changed in the Inverter.
don't know...all I know is it's fixed

Back