diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18kPV PV only noise and idle load

rhino

Solar Wizard
I currently have my EG4 18kPV setup as charge controller only. Two interesting things I've come across that I haven't seen mentioned yet.

- If you turn off all AC output the idle load drops to 16W-20W.
- If you limit the PV output to 100A the fans were not on. As soon as I raised that to 200A (and I had enough PV power that it was being limited) the fans kicked on and it was much louder then I was expecting. It appears to run the fans at full speed. Ambient temp it is in is probably around 50F.

Sure is acting to me like the fan speeds are directly proportional to charging amps and not a temperature. Air coming out of top of unit even feels cold. Anyone know for sure?

@EG4_Jarrett is it technically possible to have the fans temp controlled at least with PV only input with a firmware update/change?
I know that it's not in place now, but I don't see why not. We have been able to implement a lot of really cool things with firmware already. Though, I'm not sure if hardware limitation would factor into this. I'm pretty sure that there are digital temperature sensors inside the unit already, but I don't have the unit teardown memorized, so I could be wrong about that. But with all the UL listings, I don't see how it couldn't have them.

I know that it's not in place now, but I don't see why not. We have been able to implement a lot of really cool things with firmware already. Though, I'm not sure if hardware limitation would factor into this. I'm pretty sure that there are digital temperature sensors inside the unit already, but I don't have the unit teardown memorized, so I could be wrong about that. But with all the UL listings, I don't see how it couldn't have them.
Are you able to check if that is something that can be added?

I have asked about this before. I was seeing over 140 degrees before the fans would come on if the inverter was not doing much during the summer in a hot garage.
It actually cooled down when it was working hard !!!!

I have asked about this before. I was seeing over 140 degrees before the fans would come on if the inverter was not doing much during the summer in a hot garage.
It actually cooled down when it was working hard !!!!

Running on the warm side is not necessarily a bad thing, as long as you are within the design parameters. When I was younger automotive engines ran 160F-180F. Now-a-days they like to be around 200. Engine is more efficient hotter, at least until you melt something. It appears they have engineered these things for a fairly wide environmental spec.

@EG4_Jarrett is it technically possible to have the fans temp controlled at least with PV only input with a firmware update/change?
The fans will work of temp as well. They have tested this out for a while and the fans kicking on at 6k has been another good add to the firmware and keeping the inverter cool. There will be more fan logic added soon it is in the works.

The fans will work of temp as well. They have tested this out for a while and the fans kicking on at 6k has been another good add to the firmware and keeping the inverter cool. There will be more fan logic added soon it is in the works.
I think in my case there is no reason for them to turn on at least not full blast at 6k PV input when it appears everything is still "cold". I only feel cold air coming out especially when it is in a 45F-50F ambient temp environment. It would make a huge difference with noise levels.

I think in my case there is no reason for them to turn on at least not full blast at 6k PV input when it appears everything is still "cold". I only feel cold air coming out especially when it is in a 45F-50F ambient temp environment. It would make a huge difference with noise levels.
if it reach 6kw no mater if the case is ice cold the fan will come on.

if it reach 6kw no mater if the case is ice cold the fan will come on.
Yes, and it shouldn't do that. It should be temperature based since the entire point of the fan is to cool the unit. If it does not need to be cooled there is no reason for fan to come on. If it is in a hot ambient environment it likely should be coming on before 6kW is ever reached. If it is in a cold environment it likely does not need to be coming on at all in many cases even over 6kW.

Running the fans unnecessarily wears the fans out and draws in dust.

Yes, and it shouldn't do that. It should be temperature based since the entire point of the fan is to cool the unit. If it does not need to be cooled there is no reason for fan to come on. If it is in a hot ambient environment it likely should be coming on before 6kW is ever reached. If it is in a cold environment it likely does not need to be coming on at all in many cases even over 6kW.

Running the fans unnecessarily wears the fans out and draws in dust.
Well, i agree with you but we didn't design this unit, maybe they know soothing we don't.

If you add a 2,000 watt load the fans typically turn off. Example 6,000 watt solar, 2,000 watt load and 4,000 watt battery charging and the fans would be off.

Back