diy solar

diy solar

EG4 18Kpv Rapid Shutdown - No clear instructions

Good points, however I think powering the transmitter from a battery bank essentially defeats the entire purpose of the rapid shutdown. Initiating a rapid shutdown of the inverter wouldn’t turn the panel production off due to the transmitter still being powered via the battery bank.

Correct me if I’m wrong?
Correct. The Rapid Shutdown mechanism must be thought of as a total system that is tied together. Whatever initiates the RSD on one component must trigger all components. This can be a challenge to set up, but it can be done with some careful thought and the right hardware.

EG4 just released a video about it.

Correct. The Rapid Shutdown mechanism must be thought of as a total system that is tied together. whatever initiates the RSD on one component must trigger all components. This can be a challenge to set up, but it can be done with some careful thought and the right hardware.

EG4 just released a video about it.

Awesome, I’ll have a look right now!

BTW: On the 18Kpv, the internal Sunspec transmitter is powered by the battery and should not have the dark start issue unless the battery shuts down completely. Since the 18Kpv has a battery-driven +/- 12V power port, the EG4 solution uses that to avoid dark start with the Tigo CCA.

FYI: EG4 just posted a document:

@FilterGuy , you've helped respond to my questions in the past and I have questions similar to this thread so thought not to start a completely new one.

I am only using a Tigo's RSD, no optimizers or anything, just RSD. the 2F version for 2 modules. Question, do I need any accompanying receiver or anything in addition to the EG4 18PKV? Or do I just install the RSDs on the modules and continue the wiring into the PV inputs wihtin the inverter and the 18KPV takes care of it from there? (crossing my fingers it's that simple)

@FilterGuy , you've helped respond to my questions in the past and I have questions similar to this thread so thought not to start a completely new one.

I am only using a Tigo's RSD, no optimizers or anything, just RSD. the 2F version for 2 modules. Question, do I need any accompanying receiver or anything in addition to the EG4 18PKV? Or do I just install the RSDs on the modules and continue the wiring into the PV inputs wihtin the inverter and the 18KPV takes care of it from there? (crossing my fingers it's that simple)
It is that simple.

The 18Kpv has the transmitter built in and it should work well with your receivers.

It is that simple.

The 18Kpv has the transmitter built in and it should work well with your receivers.
Wow, I just found another thread you started and asked there too. Your support has been phenomenal, thanks for what you give the community.

BTW: Here is a bonus for you:

A lot of people who add RSD to an inverter end up powering the RSD transmitter from the AC out of the inverter. This mostly works. Where it breaks down is when the battery runs low and the inverter shuts off power in the middle of the night. At that point, the transmitter is powered down and the panels are disabled. The next morning the sun is up and the birds are singing but the panels are still disabled. The system does not turn back on even though there is plenty of sun. There has to be some kind of manual intervention to get things working again. (This is known as the dark-start problem).

The 18Kpv will shut down the AC output while the batteries still have a little left in them. This means that the integrated transmitter stays on and the next morning the panels are operable so the batteries start charging again.

Back