diy solar

diy solar

EG4 2 Ton Solar Mini-Split Question

Oh good. You understand you can schedule the start in the app?? As I was saying, while the current sunrise is about 7:30 here, I don't need Cooling til later in the AM and so scheduled it for 10AM, and off at 6 when I get evening shade. Days are getting shorter, at peak in summer i had it going 9am to 7:30 pm. Good to know on "40w".
I set it to come on after full sun and off during every night and it's working perfectly. Thanks so much for that.
I suppose when we wake up to a cloudy day and full sun comes late, I'll have to deal with that.
Seems like it shouldn't be that way. Still feel it wouldn't have been designed that way, like something isn't right.

Still feel it wouldn't have been designed that way, like something isn't right.
DEYE actually says it is designed that way, to simply shut off IF there is too much intermittent clouds so the compressor isn't shutting off and on. It's a compressor protection thing.

But IF once the sun comes back out and you have cloudless full sun, if in that condition the MPPT times out and shuts the unit down, THEN you have a bad MPPT.

Also, for running PV only you want to have as many panels as possible for cloud situations. The Australian vendor who sells similar Deye units recommended parallel arrays. The literature with our unit says not to do that. Hopefully, someone shortly will show up with the Aussie-based units as they are selling in USA, and we can figure out what's acceptable.

if you have an AC supply connected ... even though they are drawing only 40-80 watts from the AC All 3 units work PERFECTLY from Solar.

In my case, Signature Solar agreed it is an MPPT issue, and is sending me a whole new unit for replacement once the get back in stock.
Thank you for input from experience. I commend you on your seemingly very thorough and succinct report on your EG4 / Signature Solar experiences. That must've taken a few days in itself!

This is where our scenarios differ. My 24k unit was originally connected to AC and worked perfectly. Only now is connected to Solar but will not use it if already running on AC. The only way to use solar is if the unit starts up with sufficient sun to run it.

I haven't seen it cease using solar because of cloud cover yet. Will be interesting to see if I'll have to "reboot" to recover from that as well.

So, does this sound to you like it's a fault in the MPPT controller as well? I agree, it'd be a PITA to have to start from scratch with another install. Seems like a replacement part would be in order.

DEYE actually says it is designed that way, to simply shut off IF there is too much intermittent clouds so the compressor isn't shutting off and on. It's a compressor protection thing.

But IF once the sun comes back out and you have cloudless full sun, if in that condition the MPPT times out and shuts the unit down, THEN you have a bad MPPT.
But mine is running from both power sources, so the compressor shouldn't ever shut down. I'll have to wait for that particular day to see how it reacts. Only problem I know of so far is that "The EG4 will not use solar power unless there is enough to run the unit even though it's already running off AC."

"DEYE". Is that the manufacturer who makes all these mini splits on the market?

Back