diy solar

diy solar

EG4 2 Ton Solar Mini-Split Question

bdub

I finally got my solar array set up (6 - 370w) and was thrilled to see over 1500 watts being used immediately upon switching it on to the EG4 unit. The next day, as it warmed up and the panels started producing power, the unit only reported 15 to 37 watts available and varied greatly several times per second even though there was full sun. After giving it time to produce more power, it didn't report a great increase. On a hunch, I switched the panels off, then back on after a few moments. I was relieved to see the unit report 1690 watts PV Input.

Why do you think the unit wouldn't use the full power available until I cycled it?

It'll be plenty inconvenient if I have to do that every day. Anyone run aross this behavior?

I think MrM1 had trouble with the MPPT in one of his units.
Hopefully your episode was just a fluke.

I've had one running since (conveniently easy to remember..) January 1st. Never witnessed behavior like you mentioned, fwiw. Did the green solar-array power icon light up while this was going on??? Did it feel like it was cooling?? Hoping maybe problem was some app/comms thing and not unit :unsure:

Would obviously be concerned if it repeats.

20230522_093219.jpg

I think MrM1 had trouble with the MPPT in one of his units.
Hopefully your episode was just a fluke.
Good to know. I should check in with him. I'll wait to see what happens this morning after the sun gets up higher. I'll not turn it off this time, in case that had something to do with it. Edit: Next day I watched it and the green light was not on.

Thanks for your response

Last edited:
I have found it preferable to just cloud-schedule via app mine to come on after solar power from array stabilizes rather than iffy "wake-on-sunrise" timing. Also like now in Cooling mode don't really need it going until 9 or 10am unless I want to freeze to death :ROFLMAO:

I've had one running since (conveniently easy to remember..) January 1st. Never witnessed behavior like you mentioned, fwiw. Did the green solar-array power icon light up while this was going on??? Did it feel like it was cooling?? Hoping maybe problem was some app/comms thing and not unit :unsure:

Would obviously be concerned if it repeats.
I don't think so, but am not sure now. Wish I'd paid more attention to that detail. I don't think it would've been on as I'm told it won't come on until it receives at least ~250 watts. (That sound right?) Even though I don't know if it wasn't or if it just didn't know it actually was.

Ok, proof captured this morning. Here are screen captures prior to cycling power from panels and after. These are from the eg4 phone app compared to my Emporia Vue power meter on the circuit.

These were taken while the panels were still in full shade from a large oak tree.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927_091102_Solar Aircon.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_091102_Solar Aircon.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 7
  • Screenshot_20230927_091141_Emporia Energy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_091141_Emporia Energy.jpg
    173.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230927_091413_Solar Aircon.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_091413_Solar Aircon.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 8
  • Screenshot_20230927_091431_Emporia Energy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_091431_Emporia Energy.jpg
    172.4 KB · Views: 7
Last edited:
I have found it preferable to just cloud-schedule via app mine to come on after solar power from array stabilizes rather than iffy "wake-on-sunrise" timing. Also like now in Cooling mode don't really need it going until 9 or 10am unless I want to freeze to death :ROFLMAO:
Oh? So you have the same problem or another one on startup? Yes, I could do this as well, but don't expect to want to mess with it all that often.

Ok, first things first. I have found it consistently likes to have 300W available in Cooling mode, and 400W in Heating. If running on PV only will need those, minimum, or it will cut off after a delay / restart sequence and flash "LP" on the display.

Without the A/C grid limiter on, but connected to PV and Grid, it will balance PV or run completely on grid at whatever power level is necessary to achieve desired temps if no PV is available. Probably not telling you things you didn't already know but just wanting to state for clarity :)

WITH the grid limiter ON (600W for 2T, see @MrM1 hack / massive info thread to make limiter "Always on"...), if ANY PV is available, typically HALF the limiter maximum will be added as a boost - 300W. With strong PV, grid always just says "40W" for whatever reason.

Oh? So you have the same problem or another one on startup? Yes, I could do this as well, but don't expect to want to mess with it all that often.
No, not per se. I have trees affecting it at very low sun angles at "sunrise". Combined with the low solar available at that time, it's better to set it to come on after that.

Speaking of when it comes on. I would schedule yours, then watch it in the app at that time. You should see the MPPT apparently gradually rising / exploring what PV is available, as well as briefly, a significant amount of grid to apparently get things going. If there is little or no PV, the PV number will go back down to zero and you'll see the grid number take over / rise. You don't need to wait till tomorrow, just turn it off and back on as you've done, but monitor app to see this behavior.

Ok, proof captured this morning.
I will say what you've described so far sounds rather a lot like the @MrM1 MPPT conks out issue, but need more info. For sure, start and run it after your shade is past and see if it's good then.

Edit: if you've got full Solar no shade and you don't see the green array icon quickly after it starts up, something is effed up.

Last edited:
I don't think so, but am not sure now. Wish I'd paid more attention to that detail. I don't think it would've been on as I'm told it won't come on until it receives at least ~250 watts. (That sound right?) Even though I don't know if it wasn't or if it just didn't know it actually was.

Ok, proof captured this morning. Here are screen captures prior to cycling power from panels and after. These are from the eg4 phone app compared to my Emporia Vue power meter on the circuit.

These were taken while the panels were still in full shade from a large oak tree.
Here are a couple other interesting things about the 40w power showing all the time. Here is my unit running totally off PV and then my Emporia Vue graph as I turn the grid back on. Notice that it's only pulling 17.8 w from the grid even though eg4 reports 40. So, the eg4 app is not to be believed.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230927_135305_Solar Aircon.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_135305_Solar Aircon.jpg
    118 KB · Views: 5
  • Screenshot_20230927_135717_Emporia Energy.jpg
    Screenshot_20230927_135717_Emporia Energy.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
I will say what you've described so far sounds rather a lot like the @MrM1 MPPT conks out issue, but need more info. For sure, start and run it after your shade is past and see if it's good then.

Edit: if you've got full Solar no shade and you don't see the green array icon quickly after it starts up, something is effed up.
Yes, that worked. Turned off and let it shut down all the way. Turned on after a few minutes, it slowly ramped up and after a few minutes, PV kicked in at 1740 watts. eg4 showed to be using 40w grid power but my meter read 17.4w.

So, till I figure out how to get it to work automatically, I'll shut it down and restart after the array has full sun in the morning. Fingers crossed.

Oh good. You understand you can schedule the start in the app?? As I was saying, while the current sunrise is about 7:30 here, I don't need Cooling til later in the AM and so scheduled it for 10AM, and off at 6 when I get evening shade. Days are getting shorter, at peak in summer i had it going 9am to 7:30 pm. Good to know on "40w". The others were decently accurate 459W vs 421 etc?? :cool:

Screenshot_20230927_144505_Solar Aircon.jpg

Please point me to that thread. I should read it.

Good thing he indexed it. Anyway I'm so happy with the 2 ton I have, I bought two more 1 tons for the 2nd floor and starting instl now, starting with array upgrade.

On Solar DC only (no AC supply connected)

The behavior I was experiencing Seemed to be in just 1 of the 3 units I purchased. The 12k and one of the 24k's did not seem to be an issue. Sun would come up, fans would start. Compressors came on as power was available. If enough cloud cover came thru to decrease power enough, compressor would turn off until sun returned and then compressor would turn back on.

The other 24k would follow that same behavior until / unless we got enough clouds. Then sometimes the compressor would come back on, and sometimes the MPPT would time out and the unit would shut down even in Full Sun. If you restarted, it worked fine.

BUT ... if you have an AC supply connected ... even though they are drawing only 40-80 watts from the AC (inverter or grid does not matter), All 3 units work PERFECTLY from Solar.

A work around in DC only mode would be to use timers. Do not allow the unit to come on until there is enough sun each day to support its power needs, AND THEN ... set a timer for "On" every hour Thru the Day. That way, if it's already on, it just skips that command, but if it powers down due to low power, it powers itself back on again

In my case, Signature Solar agreed it is an MPPT issue, and is sending me a whole new unit for replacement once the get back in stock.

On Solar DC only (no AC supply connected)

In my case, Signature Solar agreed it is an MPPT issue, and is sending me a whole new unit for replacement once the get back in stock.

Glad to hear that. Would personally prefer a swappable board or firmware update rather than having to install a whole new unit, but at least they're standing by it.

Glad to hear that. Would personally prefer a swappable board or firmware update rather than having to install a whole new unit, but at least they're standing by it.
That's my dilemma. Since it is working so Perfectly with AC power (thru my Schneider SW4024 inverter) and they are sending me the DIY version and not the installer version (like I have), I would be forced to replace the unit and lines too, which means digging out all the line install etc.

I could just sway the MPPT board internally and then send the new unit back with the board swapped, but I am afraid because it is a year newer, the firmware or something might be different and the new MPPT would not operate correctly in the older A/C unit. So I am debating just telling SS to NOT send the replacement. With an AC power connection, it just works that well. It only does not work correctly when on DC only ... and I am not sure I will ever run it that way.

Back