diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6000EX User Settings

Quankl

Me yet again,

I have a question. When I am on EG4 BMS comm mode the voltages go too high for my liking. I resorted to User mode.

However, while in BMS comm mode with EG4 settings. The battery slows charge whenever the SoC hits 96% to 10A each battery which I think is nice.
However when in USER mode and manual settnigs for bulk and float. It doesnt do this. Is this the case for everyone?

Me yet again,

I have a question. When I am on EG4 BMS comm mode the voltages go too high for my liking. I resorted to User mode.

However, while in BMS comm mode with EG4 settings. The battery slows charge whenever the SoC hits 96% to 10A each battery which I think is nice.
However when in USER mode and manual settnigs for bulk and float. It doesnt do this. Is this the case for everyone?

I would recommend running this in user-defined for 2 weeks and it should train the BMS to go to the voltage point that you desire while using BMS communication.

Me yet again,

That would be the case for everyone.

If you have Solar Assistant you can create an automation to reduce charging current when battery hits XX.X Volts.

You could also connect to your BMS with the PC software and reduce the cell / battery full voltage values so it doesn't charge so high.

I ran a TP6048 (pretty much the same unit as the 6000EX) for around a year in open loop, no communications, with no issues once I got the voltages dialed in.

I would recommend running this in user-defined for 2 weeks and it should train the BMS to go to the voltage point that you desire while using BMS communication.
I'm by no means and expert but that seems like a really big should...
That would imply the the BMS will reprogram itself...

That would be the case for everyone.

If you have Solar Assistant you can create an automation to reduce charging current when battery hits XX.X Volts.

You could also connect to your BMS with the PC software and reduce the cell / battery full voltage values so it doesn't charge so high.

I ran a TP6048 (pretty much the same unit as the 6000EX) for around a year in open loop, no communications, with no issues once I got the voltages dialed in.

I'm by no means and expert but that seems like a really big should...
That would imply the the BMS will reprogram itself...
To the part on the BMS and PC I don't believe you get access to change any parameters on eg4 battery and

On the point of the voltages and the case for everyone. So it is normal and acceptable for the inverter to push full current in to 100% SoC on user settings?

I found out after trial and error. 55v bulk/absorb and 54.2float. This drops it at 95% SoC approximately to 10amps(5a per battery) and slows till 0a at 99/100% SoC then stops.

But this 99/100% SOC is 100.3 on one battery and 98.x on the other. Do I need to set bulk/absorb a bit higher temporarily to push the other to 100%?

To the part on the BMS and PC I don't believe you get access to change any parameters on eg4 battery and

On the point of the voltages and the case for everyone. So it is normal and acceptable for the inverter to push full current in to 100% SoC on user settings?

I found out after trial and error. 55v bulk/absorb and 54.2float. This drops it at 95% SoC approximately to 10amps(5a per battery) and slows till 0a at 99/100% SoC then stops.

But this 99/100% SOC is 100.3 on one battery and 98.x on the other. Do I need to set bulk/absorb a bit higher temporarily to push the other to 100%?

I would recommend setting the Bulk to 56.2v per spec-sheet.

Attachments

• EG4-LifePower4-48V-Spec-Sheet (1).pdf
    160.1 KB · Views: 6
To the part on the BMS and PC I don't believe you get access to change any parameters on eg4 battery
Hmm, I guess the firmware updates take care of it. I remember reading posts some time ago that updates changed voltage parameters.
and

If your inverter doesn't have a tail current setting you don't have many options besides the SA automations I mentioned above.

I would follow Jareds advice.

I would recommend setting the Bulk to 56.2v per spec-sheet.

Yup. I did.

The SoC magically changed to 100.3 instantly. Not sure if it was just stuck at 98.8 after charging had stopped with my previous values.

The voltage on the battery terminal via multimeter just quickly rose until 56.2 on both terminals and 6000EX screen. Nothing else. But SoC is saying 100.3 on both now. And have stopped charging.

They are slowly falling now. Been about 15 mins maybe and it's at 54.4 now. I assume dropping until the 54v float. Will check tomorrow how/if it charges full current till 100% using these values.

Seems random. But today now. 56.2v bulk and 54v float when it hits 54v charging slows and current falls and that SOC is like 70%.

Doesn't reach bulk voltage them go to float. It just slows once inverter reaches float. Then that is like another 6 hours at float voltage/current to reach full. That can't be right.

And just to show. This is why I can't use EG4 comms.PXL_20240319_111909126.jpg

OV protect is 3.6 and alarm is 3.55.
EG4 sends it to 58.4. thats 3.65. everytime it will shut down the battery. Why is this that way?

Even at 57.6 that's 3.6v. still will send it in OV protect range..

User settings just also aren't working as they should for me either... Was fine yesterday now today it slowed. I had to raise the float voltage for it to charge quickly past 54v(3.38 per cell based on BMS tools).

Looks like 3.32 on the lower corner of the BMS tools screen. I know it's not the latest but I have pretty terrible luck with updating firmwares unless it's extremely necessary. Haven't seen anything about voltages float/bulk in the later changelogs

I would recommend updating the LifePower4's to the latest firmware. If DM'd, I can send out an auto-update tool that helps simplify the update process.

Didnt get opportunity today to update the firmware as i had to leave. But just followed a test with some screenshots attached.

56V absorb/ 54.4 float settings
Screenshot 2024-03-20 114526.png

Battery % 96Screenshot 2024-03-20 114453.png

I just want a clear answer again, when set to User, is it safe for longevity and reliability of the batteries for the PV to send full 56v and full current(in my case 40-50Amps(20-25amps each) to the batteries all the way to 56v(Past 100%). before it got to 99% I took the screenshots and reduced it back to 55v bulk which caused it to trickle to 100% at float voltage. Just worried about doing any damage honestly but seems one battery is slowly drifting in SoC again if I stop it at 55.

This image. It also always gets a bit less current at all times and seems one cell in Pack1 always drops off to much lower than Pack2 once charging has stopped. During charge they are all close. difference can sometimes reach .01 difference. Average stays the same though so all the others have to be pretty tight and just one cell off. Cause for concern or not?
Screenshot 2024-03-20 120601.png

Secondly, I will get to updating the BMS as you recommended and then try EG4 comms again as well and see how that works.

Didnt get opportunity today to update the firmware as i had to leave. But just followed a test with some screenshots attached.

56V absorb/ 54.4 float settings
View attachment 203220

Battery % 96View attachment 203222

I just want a clear answer again, when set to User, is it safe for longevity and reliability of the batteries for the PV to send full 56v and full current(in my case 40-50Amps(20-25amps each) to the batteries all the way to 56v(Past 100%). before it got to 99% I took the screenshots and reduced it back to 55v bulk which caused it to trickle to 100% at float voltage. Just worried about doing any damage honestly but seems one battery is slowly drifting in SoC again if I stop it at 55.

This image. It also always gets a bit less current at all times and seems one cell in Pack1 always drops off to much lower than Pack2 once charging has stopped. During charge they are all close. difference can sometimes reach .01 difference. Average stays the same though so all the others have to be pretty tight and just one cell off. Cause for concern or not?
View attachment 203226

Secondly, I will get to updating the BMS as you recommended and then try EG4 comms again as well and see how that works.

It does not appear to be a cause for concern. I would recommend updating to the latest firmware and running a few cycles fully discharging and charging the batteries on the user defined setting after the firmware update prior to switching back to BMS communication.

Fully discharge to what voltage or SoC? Just want to be specific. 5%?

Last edited:
Screenshot_20240324-103614_Chrome.png

Idk I think I got scared here when the first pack hit 0.0% reported by the BMS but the cell voltages still seemed to have more juice in them but still I didn't want the battery to throw any alarm or anything for having 0.0% and shutting down or protecting or anything.

I turned back on solar just after this point. Will see how it goes. 56.4v absorb 54.2 float is set.

I would not take SOC into account while in the user-defined mode since the inverter charging and discharging will be based off of voltage. Doing so will help calibrate the SOC.

Ok. Got it. So I tried last two days on weekend where I could monitor it 24/7 with the provided settings. Couple things I noted

Saturday went well. It came up from 0 and went to 100% SOC reported by BMS tools on both batteries. And worked perfectly. One cell was still low though by about 90mv than all the rest in pack 1.

Today, I realised it before but sometimes the absorb settings won't occur. Like today, the inverter should full charge with full current until 56.4v and taper off slowly when it gets near full. Then float at 54.2. However it charged full current until near 54v(confirmed the cell voltages too with BMS tools) then slowly tapered off like that was it for charging and BMS tools reported around.. 71% SoC. It never was going to reach 56.4. I left it like that for about an hour with pure sunlight. I then adjusted the float up to around 55 in order for it to reach 100% today. I will return the values to 54.2v float and 56.4 for tomorrow to see what will happen if it works right.

The single cell is still lagging behind the ones being balanced are the cells at the top. Not that lower one that BMS tools shows

Here is a screen shot about an hour after full charge occured. And then another about 3 hours maybe after full charge. The low cell is still low. The other pack is perfect with like 0.008v difference between highest and lowest cell. SOC as reported by BMS tools is 100.3 on one battery and 96.1 on the other at this point after the two days of draining and charging back up.PXL_20240325_131845789.jpg
PXL_20240325_144007780.jpg

Well no change. But everything seems to be working. I'm getting solar power and I'm getting AC output from batteries so I'll leave it and manage.

The cell probably will never balance either since that occurs at 3.4v and that cell can't go past 3.35 for some reason. I increase float to 56 for a bit and again suddenly jumped to 100.3% SOC for the pack. Low cell is still there but other cells climb. Will just monitor it. Thanks

Back