diy solar

diy solar

EG4-6500 network or wifi connection

EPicTony

Solar Enthusiast
I'm getting my system up and running. Is there a network or wifi connection ?
If not is there someway to connect them to a network ? Thanks

I honestly do not understand the desire to network a solar system. Just walk over to the inverter and look. If the lights are on, it's still working.
I just want something to tell me how much power I'm making per day/week/month etc.

I honestly do not understand the desire to network a solar system. Just walk over to the inverter and look. If the lights are on, it's still working.
I agree in the sense that there should be no need to constantly monitor the system, change settings or interact with it frequently. However, as we well know these systems are not "Turn on and forget it" so there needs to be a convenient way to conduct periodic checks.

One of the biggest problems with the Solar industry is the lack of standards. If you purchase the proper type of hard drive of any reputable brand its going to work on any computer no matter the make or model.
On the other hand the solar industry is fragmented all over the place every brand has their own protocols and various versions of the following, CAN Bus, RS-485, Bluetooth, WiFi or perhaps none.
My system is a perfect example. Schneider Xanbus is a proprietary CAN based system and instead of making it easy to interact with Xanbus directly they chose to add Modbus RS-485 as a method for outside communication but its limited as not all the registers can be written to. The BMS in the Chinese batteriy has a CAN based system but requires a CAN to USB converter so I have to bring the computer out to the garage and plug in the USB cord to spot check cell voltages every so often. The BMS in my DIY battery is a different flavor of CAN bus but at least has a color touch screen on the front of the battery to view and set the user menu but no networking ability. The active cell balancer in the DIY battery is Bluetooth so again you have to go in the garage an stand within 10 feet of the battery to get view the menus. The point of being able to network would be to bring all these items together in one place.

I just want something to tell me how much power I'm making per day/week/month etc.

Get a shunt. Call it a day.

If you're only running one unit, you can click the up button on the 6500EX and it will show you the daily, month to date and year to date total.

I'm getting my system up and running. Is there a network or wifi connection ?
If not is there someway to connect them to a network ? Thanks
I recent got my 6000EX up and running. The WIFI and SolarPower APP does enough for me to remotely monitor and change setting on my system. The only issue is the lack of real-time data, but it has historical data with time stamps with updates every 5 minutes. It will show daily generation totals if thats what your looking for. I would give it a try and see if it meets your needs.

I recent got my 6000EX up and running. The WIFI and SolarPower APP does enough for me to remotely monitor and change setting on my system. The only issue is the lack of real-time data, but it has historical data with time stamps with updates every 5 minutes. It will show daily generation totals if thats what your looking for. I would give it a try and see if it meets your needs.
Where did you get the SolarPower APP ? Is it an andriod app ? How did you get the inverter on wifi, I don't see it in the manual. Thanks

My EG4 6500EX-48 came with a CD and a RS-232 cable to connect it to a Windows PC and/or use the built-in Wi-Fi with an app on the cellphone. The app & Windows software aren't really bad & free, regardless of the fact that people recommend getting a Raspberry Pi and purchasing the solar assistant software to run on it for monitoring. I like the free software which shows where the power is coming from and where it is being used. Simple...

Where did you get the SolarPower APP ? Is it an andriod app ? How did you get the inverter on wifi, I don't see it in the manual. Thanks

I searched this forum and learned of the APP then downloaded it from the Apple APP Store. I just checked and it’s available in the Google APP Store.

I used the watchpower software that came with my tp6048 for around a month. I had to keep a laptop connected to the inverter at all times via USB followed by rs485. I tried to set up wireless through the inverter but failed, I know this was do to being off grid and trying to setup via Hotspot through a cell phone and router. The software needs an internet connection so it can communicate through servers in China...
The rs485 to usb was a much better connection than usb to micro usb... Still watch power would frequently freeze and need restarted. I gave up, since setting up solar assistant I've been pleased.
If you just want basic data scroll through the inverter display and try connecting rs485 to usb and running watch power.

I searched this forum and learned of the APP then downloaded it from the Apple APP Store. I just checked and it’s available in the Google APP Store.
The Android app is called watchpower, same name as the version on Windows PC. Here is how it looks on my Windows 11. It has a simple animation showing where power is coming and going plus all the parameter's values.

Attachments

• powerwatch.jpg
    powerwatch.jpg
    95.7 KB · Views: 6

I just got my system up and running so I want to make sure everything is working correctly. It’s nice to have remote monitoring and ability to make adjustments when I’m out of the house. Maybe when I’m satisfied with my system I’ll monitor it less, or not because it takes away the fun of DIY solar.

Back