diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500 PV Input issue when PV is disconnected

RGH69

I have 2 6500's setup in split phase. Been running for several months no problem. Then in July, the system went down with a PV over voltage error on one unit and the other unit had a blank display. I completely disconnected the PV inputs. After several calls and emails to SS support, they sent me a replacement display for the one affected unit which appears to be working fine. However, the other unit still shows PV input on and off with that annoying beeping.

Per SS support, I updated the affected unit MCU and DSP to the latest firmware. I also changed the setup as standalone.

When the unit restarted, it still shows PV input around 80 to 83 volts which triggers MPPT and the unit beeps and it starts inverting even though the only input is from the batteries only. PV and Grid inputs are completely disconnected. After a few seconds the voltage drops to below 80v and the MPPT shuts off triggering more beeps. This happens over and over which is quite annoying.

I have attached photos of the bad unit PV inputs. PV2 shows no voltage. PV1 shows voltage and amperage. When the inverter is turned off, the voltage goes away on PV1.

Somehow, the voltage from the inverter is backfeeding on PV1.

Any other ideas?

IMG_2065.JPGIMG_2059.JPG

I am waiting for SS support to let me know what I should try next.

When you say "disconnected" did you just flip the breaker or did you actually unwire the pv from the inverter?

Also, you can turn off the beep under option 18. That's the keypress/alarm beep.

When you say "disconnected" did you just flip the breaker or did you actually unwire the pv from the inverter?

Also, you can turn off the beep under option 18. That's the keypress/alarm beep.
Shut down at the main PV disconnect and also at the individual breakers. When the inverter is off, there is 0v on the input wiring. When it is on, there is a few volts which is normal. No where near enough to start MPPT which is 80v.

Hopefully, I hear back from SSS soon because I have not been able to use solar for over a month because of this issue.

Hopefully, I hear back from SSS soon because I have not been able to use solar for over a month because of this issue.
I have two of those pieces of junk in my shop right now. Just started them up a few days ago. I can tell you they’re not gonna last too long and I’ll be replacing them with Victron or Schneider. I have two SolArk12K’s running my house. I guess I got a little spoiled with those. You get what you pay for.

Last edited:
I have two of those pieces of junk in my shop right now. Just started them up a few days ago. I can tell you they’re not gonna last too long and I’ll be replacing them with Victron or Schneider. I have two SolArk12K’s running my house. I guess I got a little spoiled with those. You get what you pay for.
Yeah, I have been thinking of a re-do. But business has not been so great with Bidenomics so I need to get these working. I setup the other in single mode and it runs fine so in a pinch (if the grid goes down. I can keep the fridge and freezer running.

Yeah, I have been thinking of a re-do. But business has not been so great with Bidenomics so I need to get these working. I setup the other in single mode and it runs fine so in a pinch (if the grid goes down. I can keep the fridge and freezer running.
Business has been great for 23 years. Really loving my off grid Solar hobby. Just wish some of it was manufactured here. Also not a President’s fault. We can thank the greedy CEO’s, who outsourced labor to communist China, while flying their families around on vacations in their tax deductible $2-58M bizjets.

Last edited:
Back