diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6.5 Kw inverter max array voltage per PV input

Jwood

Question 1: On the EG4 6.5 Kw inverter there are two solar inputs (Pv1 and Pv2). The maximum amperage per input is 18 amps or less. The manual does not distinguish if the 500V maximum is split between the inputs ( ie. 250V per input), or can you apply up to 500 volts on one input? The panels I'm installing are Isc 13.8 and VOC 36.8. 400 watt panels. So the voltage to the one input will be 294.4 at 13.8 amps. Total 3200 watts

My question is can I put 294.4 volts into a single input of the inverter, or is the voltage split between the inputs at 250 volts each. I would assume you could put up to 500v on one input, but just want to confirm.

Question 2: I'm installing two inverters for 240 split phase. I will have one string of panels as described above per inverter. There is no mention in the instructions of installing one array per inverter. Has anyone had any issues or insight for this configuration? Thanks!

Question 1: On the EG4 6.5 Kw inverter there are two solar inputs (Pv1 and Pv2). The maximum amperage per input is 18 amps or less. The manual does not distinguish if the 500V maximum is split between the inputs ( ie. 250V per input), or can you apply up to 500 volts on one input? The panels I'm installing are Isc 13.8 and VOC 36.8. 400 watt panels. So the voltage to the one input will be 294.4 at 13.8 amps. Total 3200 watts

My question is can I put 294.4 volts into a single input of the inverter, or is the voltage split between the inputs at 250 volts each. I would assume you could put up to 500v on one input, but just want to confirm.

Operating range for each MPPT is 450V.

The 294.4V will work just fine.

Question 2: I'm installing two inverters for 240 split phase. I will have one string of panels as described above per inverter. There is no mention in the instructions of installing one array per inverter. Has anyone had any issues or insight for this configuration? Thanks!
I ran one string per inverter using only one MPPT port on an inverter.

Each mppt is 4000W within the max specs of 500v and 18a.

As Zwy said though, the operating range is up to 450v.

As far as strings on each inverter, I always thought it’s best to balance things out. If you have two, instead of putting them both on 1 invert, share the load between the two. One on each.

Always best to balance your solar between the two units. Otherwise one is charging the battery (if you have enough production) while the other is discharging. Or both are discharging at a widely unbalanced amount.

Hi jwood, I was on another thread for something similar asking bout this stuff. Worth noting that it's not "Max input" of 18 amps, it's max current "draw". I felt silly after it was pointed out. It looks like no matter the amps provided, it will only draw up to 18 amps per mppt.

Hi, fellow Signature Solar victims. Looks like this thread may have someone who can help me resolve an issue.

I'm running two 6500s in split phase. I have two strings of panels, one string to each inverter, both connecting to PV one on the respective inverter.

During testing, the master inverter responds to either string without problem. However, the slave inverter will not respond to solar from either string. I have opened the DC disconnect on the slave while the units are running. Meter shows 2 to 10 amps that should be flowing into the slave. The associated voltage ranges from zero at night to 384 during a good day.

Yet this second inverter does not acknowledge incoming solar resources.

Is this something that needs correcting in the slave's settings? Note that I have tried option 5 as both eg4 and use. Neither makes a difference.

Also, since I am doing split phase, would it make a difference if I changed the slave's solar input to PV 2?

I'd just run both strings to the correctly functional inverter, but if this slave unit is bad, I want SS to correct the issue now, while the warranty is recent.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Current settings on the slave unit:

01 = Sub
02 = Default
03 = APL
05 = USE
06, 07 = Default
09 = 60
10, 11 = Default
12 = SOC 10%
13 = SOC 30%
16 - snu
18-23 = Default
25 = Fd5
26, 27 = Default
28 = SiG
29 = SOC default
30-94 - Default

Hi, fellow Signature Solar victims. Looks like this thread may have someone who can help me resolve an issue.

I'm running two 6500s in split phase. I have two strings of panels, one string to each inverter, both connecting to PV one on the respective inverter.

During testing, the master inverter responds to either string without problem. However, the slave inverter will not respond to solar from either string. I have opened the DC disconnect on the slave while the units are running. Meter shows 2 to 10 amps that should be flowing into the slave. The associated voltage ranges from zero at night to 384 during a good day.

Yet this second inverter does not acknowledge incoming solar resources.

Is this something that needs correcting in the slave's settings? Note that I have tried option 5 as both eg4 and use. Neither makes a difference.

Also, since I am doing split phase, would it make a difference if I changed the slave's solar input to PV 2?

I'd just run both strings to the correctly functional inverter, but if this slave unit is bad, I want SS to correct the issue now, while the warranty is recent.

All help is appreciated. Thanks.

Current settings on the slave unit:

01 = Sub
02 = Default
03 = APL
05 = USE
06, 07 = Default
09 = 60
10, 11 = Default
12 = SOC 10%
13 = SOC 30%
16 - snu
18-23 = Default
25 = Fd5
26, 27 = Default
28 = SiG
29 = SOC default
30-94 - Default
Do you see the MPPT icon on the display?

With 2 units in parallel, setting 28 needs to be set to 2P2 on the slave inverter and 2P1 on the master.

Thanks for the response. The units are set as you said. Problem is, the P1 DC input on the slave does NOT recognize the incoming solar. Haven't yet tried moving it to the P2 DC input on that unit. If something is faulty on the P1 input, it'd be a matter of time before the problem spread to P2. Other than this issue, both inverters are running as they should. Both pull from the battery or the grid as necessary. However, only 2P1 recognized that solar is also attached..

Back