diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 Error F06

This past weekend I was out to dinner with the wife but happened to be monitoring SA and noticed that it was late in the day, sun was down and the batteries were just over 50%. Right now the output from the inverters is only powering a LED light and the heat pump in my shop, so a 1Kw load max when it's really trying to push the heat.

I know that 50% was not enough to run the heat pump thru the night, so I switched to the Solar Assistant Power tab and told it to override the source priority to SUB for 12 hours.

As soon as I did this, SA became unresponsive and said to connect to bluetooth.

We made it home about 90 minutes later and I found that my 2P1 inverter was flashing fault code F06. Per the manual this meant "Output voltage is too high". SA died because it was connected to the 2P1 inverter AC output via a USB dongle. My buck converter isnt connected just yet...

I'm trying to understand why this would have triggered. At the time I made the change there was 0v input from PV, I was running the heat pump off battery and the load reported in SA before I made the switch was just over 330w.

I had to power cycle the system to get it to resume working, so now I'm a bit hesitant to change between SBU and SUB for fear of the same thing happening. I am also about to start swinging circuits in the house over to the dedicated load panel but would like to figure this out before I wind up taking down power to key circuits (fridges, freezers etc).

I am 1 rev behind on firmwares.

Has anyone else seen this behavior?

The load was ~300 watts, so less than 2amps, you're saying all loads should be removed?

If that's the case, should I be changing the SA configuration and not use the Battery State of Charge settings?

1679931365587.png

We're actually doing some testing currently to see how the units perform with SA. We don't advise the use of SA currently as we know very little about how well it will work with these inverters. It may turn out that it is fine, but just don't have a lot of info just yet.

And it really just depends. The issue could be present depending on battery %, load, etc. Just be sure that you aren't close to the threshold settings while making the changes.

Solar assistant is just a monitoring tool that displays the data it receives from the inverters or batteries. When you use the power management option, it just sends a command to the inverters to change modes, no different from you changing the option from the display or *choke* using WatchPower to make the change.

The inverters handle the actual change. If they cannot handle switching under load then they should not allow it, and even the inverters themselves will change modes based on the settings programmed in, regardless of the current load of the inverter.

I had a F06 code today on my single 6500EX inverter. My system doesn't have batteries, but it does have 3.6kW of solar panels. Today was a bright, virtually cloudless day, temps about 50F and the time was about 2pm.

I had a small space heater on low heat (about 800W), and switched it to high heat (1.6kW) and it shut down and gave me the F06 code. It would not reset by just toggling the inverter switch on the main panel. I had to switch off the PV disconnect and turn it back on before it would reset the inverter. After that the inverter worked fine. I later put on different loads, including one of about 2.4kW and it handled it fine, like it has on other sunny days.

I looked up the F06 fault code in the manual and it said output voltage too high. In the troubleshooting part of the manual it says "F6/F58 Output abnormal"; Explanation: "(Inverter voltage below than 190Vac or is higher than 260Vac)." It says the remedy is: "1. Reduce the connected load or 2. Return to repair center". These voltages don't make sense in this iteration as I have only one inverter running. Also, I don't have any system monitoring software running with the system, like Solar Assistant.

So considering my system has just one inverter, was this just a simple overload (over current) situation that was remedied by resetting the PV input and removing the load? Or is there a more serious issue? Like @30362, I will be soon switching critical 120V loads over to this inverter and I want to be sure there's not a problem with the inverter. @BenFromSignatureSolar

Last edited:
I’ve noticed a delay while using SA to change from SBU to SUB. The changeover causes my lights to flash and my router to restart. This occurs if I manually activate it, and when I let SA power management trigger it.

I have not experienced this issue switching from SUB to SBU.

I’ve noticed a delay while using SA to change from SBU to SUB. The changeover causes my lights to flash and my router to restart. This occurs if I manually activate it, and when I let SA power management trigger it.

I have not experienced this issue switching from SUB to SBU.
Interesting. I've noticed a few second delay between changes, but never had anything shutdown on me (and I have quite a bit of networking hardware running in my house).

I will add that I have option 3 set to UPS mode, so my transfer time should be quicker.

Interesting. I've noticed a few second delay between changes, but never had anything shutdown on me (and I have quite a bit of networking hardware running in my house).

I will add that I have option 3 set to UPS mode, so my transfer time should be quicker.

This delay is causing problems with some of my appliances and electronics.
The delay occurs via Solar Assistant Power Management (SBU to SUB) and when Setting 20 activates (Battery to Grid).

When the switch over happens I get a flash on my lights, CCTV loses power, and my router restarts. My refrigerator was negatively affected by this as well with a failed DC power relay.

Transition from SUB to SBU has no issues.

This delay is causing problems with some of my appliances and electronics.
The delay occurs via Solar Assistant Power Management (SBU to SUB) and when Setting 20 activates (Battery to Grid).

When the switch over happens I get a flash on my lights, CCTV loses power, and my router restarts. My refrigerator was negatively affected by this as well with a failed DC power relay.

Transition from SUB to SBU has no issues.
Try switching option 3 to UPS. That should shorten the transfer time down to 10ms from the 20ms in APP mode.

Try switching option 3 to UPS. That should shorten the transfer time down to 10ms from the 20ms in APP mode.
I am on UPS setting. The transfer time for SUB to SBU is not an issue.

It’s the slow transition from SBU (solar / battery) to SUB (hybrid / grid) that has the problems.

I just had this happen to me. I have SA set to send a command to the inverters at 30% SOC to switch from SUB to SBU. I had a 6 kW load running and 2P1 threw a fatal error f06. Per Ben, it sounds like it's a known issue and that setting shouldn't be changed during load. I agree with Adam though, the setting should be locked down if the inverters cannot handle the switch during load.

Back