diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Problem

Sorry to say but I believe both inverters are shorted and dead. Do not make any more attempts to try and power them up. Do as Gavin said above and contact SS for further assistance.

In regard to pre-charging the inverter capacitors, the EG4 Lifepower4 batteries have a built-in pre-charge circuit. To use the built-in pre-charger, you make sure the batteries are OFF(breaker in off position) BEFORE connecting to your inverter. Once the battery is connected, turn on the battery breaker and as the battery powers up you might hear it making some snapping/pulsing noises. That is the pre-charge circuit pumping up the inverter capacitors. The battery may go into a fault state on the initial pre-charge and give you the red light with no power output in which case you turn off the battery, wait a second and turn it back on which will cause it to go through the pre-charge function again. They usually can complete the pre-charge in one or two cycles. There is no need to use a resistor or light bulb with these batteries.

Both inverters are probably blown. And your t class fuses may also be blown. The inverters could blow if you wire the PV into them the way you have. Or they could blow not using the precharge resistor like you described before. So you’ll have to contact Signature Solar and run some tests for their tech team to confirm the issue.
Replace the t class fuses and now I’m getting power to the negative and positive leads to the inverses, but know action from the inverters themselves. Just got the sleeves for the light bulb, let me test that and see what I get. Thanks

In regard to pre-charging the inverter capacitors, the EG4 Lifepower4 batteries have a built-in pre-charge circuit. To use the built-in pre-charger, you make sure the batteries are OFF(breaker in off position) BEFORE connecting to your inverter. Once the battery is connected, turn on the battery breaker and as the battery powers up you might hear it making some snapping/pulsing noises. That is the pre-charge circuit pumping up the inverter capacitors. The battery may go into a fault state on the initial pre-charge and give you the red light with no power output in which case you turn off the battery, wait a second and turn it back on which will cause it to go through the pre-charge function again. They usually can complete the pre-charge in one or two cycles. There is no need to use a resistor or light bulb with these batteries.

More info and a video:

Replace the t class fuses and now I’m getting power to the negative and positive leads to the inverses, but know action from the inverters themselves. Just got the sleeves for the light bulb, let me test that and see what I get. Thanks
How did you make out?
I was betting the fuse was blown.
Hopefully the inverters are fine.

Sorry to say but I believe both inverters are shorted and dead. Do not make any more attempts to try and power them up. Do as Gavin said above and contact SS for further assistance.

Out of the 3 batteries that I have hooked up, one Clears the pre-charge, the other two go into alarm stage. Turn both batteries off and redid the pre-charge 4 times, and the alarm still comes on in red.
Funny thing is, when I have both positive and negative off of the hot and neutral post, all 3 batteries bms stay green. I myself feel that the 2 inverters that I have had an issue when I went too parallel them to work together.

How did you make out?
I was betting the fuse was blown.
Hopefully the inverters are fine.
Fuse where blown, added new ones and got power all the way up the line to the inverters, inverters still not working. When I originally set them to work in parallel with one another, my issues began with both inverters not working.

Fuse where blown, added new ones and got power all the way up the line to the inverters, inverters still not working. When I originally set them to work in parallel with one another, my issues began with both inverters not working.
Did you try to start them up individually or do you still have them in parallel?

The batteries go into alarm because there is a dead short inside the inverters.

And they may have fried when your paralleled them and ran the same PV strings to both inverters. SS will have you test things with your multi meters and send them photos.

In all honesty without doing the light bulb test, I believe that my 2 inverters are fried like burnt toast. I say this only for the fact of, 1) when I disconnect the power from the batteries to the inverters, I get a test reading of 52.7 with all 3 batteries functioning as they should. 2) when I hook up the positive and negative back up to the inverters , I get no reading on the breaker (top side) on the wall under the inverter, as well as 2 of the 3 batteries going into alarm mode. 3) with only solar hooked up to the inverters, the setting screen on the inverters will not come on. Just my observation.
I agree, I definitely recommend giving tech a call and have them troubleshoot with you. I also recommend preemptively take photos of the multimeter readings with the points of measurements in one photo (It can be difficult to take a photo and probe the terminals, sometimes asking someone for assistance here is necessary), a photo of each unit and whole the set up, a close up of the serial numbers, and sometimes even a short video of what is/or is not, happening can help speed up the process to get a solution. ?‍??

When all just shut down, the only sound was 1 of the 3 battery breakers switching off.
Off topic. Is your PV wire 12/2 Romex? If, so are your polarities correct? The placement of the wires also appear to be at two different locations. Either way hope you get everything figured out. There is a proper sequence to firing everything up.

Last edited:
I’ve been reading this post and I have to say I commend all the great members here trying to help this person out. It takes a lot more time and effort to troubleshoot something that’s not right in front of you than say a simple design question. Let alone the patience needed for dealing with less experienced diy’ers. That’s why this forum is so great. Thanks Will Prowse and all the other members here.

Last edited:
@vitalssigns how are you making out? Everything up and running?
Did all the trouble shooting with SS, the 2 EG4 inverters are down for the count. SS are going to replace them, my only question is, should I stay with the replacement of the 2, or is there a better one that I should go with that will work with the parallel set up?

Did all the trouble shooting with SS, the 2 EG4 inverters are down for the count. SS are going to replace them, my only question is, should I stay with the replacement of the 2, or is there a better one that I should go with that will work with the parallel set up?
Personally I would only stick with that model if you can find the older 250V max PV input version, the original LV6548.
Otherwise I would look at the SRNE HYP.

Edit to add the 6000XP looks promising.
Edit again to fix the model. I'm glad Tim didn't catch it ?.

Last edited:
See if you can get the 6000XP as some kind of trade up, it's in a whole different League.
SS did say that they would replace the 2 EG4 6500EX with refurbish units only because they do not have any new ones on had. But they also said that they could give me store credit for the 2 I’m sending back, and I can upgrade to another inverter. The 6000XP you mentioned, sounds like it would be a better choice.

Back