diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Problem

vitalssigns

This morning after getting off of work, I started finishing the final touches with getting my 2 EG4 6500EX up and running. After powering up both units with Solar only so I could Desonate which inverted was 2P1 (120) and 2P2 (180) I started getting the 61 error code. I was going to fix this error late, and decided to power up the unit, when I pressed the button to power up the inverter, both invertes shut off, with one of the 3 batteries that I have purchased from Signature Solar, the breaker on 1 battery kicked off. At that point I turned off the batteries and solar, then stated powering everything back up, the 2 inverters will not power up and come back on line. The solar and batteries were not supplying power to any feed going out of my panel box as of yet, can anyone tell me if I am at fault for this, if so, what did I do wrong with bring the units live?

After powering up both units with Solar only so I could Desonate which inverted was 2P1 (120) and 2P2 (180)
you can't change the settings with the unit powered up, it has to be in standby mode (switched off, battery connected).
2P1 (not 120). 2P2 180.
Will also has a vid on the set up steps for the 6548 - hope this helps.

you can't change the settings with the unit powered up, it has to be in standby mode (switched off, battery connected).
2P1 (not 120). 2P2 180.
I understand you can’t change the settings while the unit is powered up, in my post I did say that I was using solar only when I changed the settings on the unit. My question is, both EG4 6500EX units will not power up now after they shut off when I tried to power the units up, why?

2P1 (not 120). 2P2 180.

Just to make a clarification, at 17:15 in the video where he says the inverter will stay on for a couple minutes (while in bypass mode), before it shuts off...

Many have figured this out before on their own, but if you have a live PV solar array producing power, or have an AC input supplied to the unit, the displays will stay on while in bypass (so you then don't have to rush to make the setting).

So if you're having trouble getting the setting in before they lose power after going into bypass, then either wait until daytime when the solar comes back, or turn on an AC input like from grid or generator, and that will hold the screens on while in bypass, then you can take all the time you want to change Option 28.

Also, as OffGridForGood was saying make sure 2P1 is set to 0° phase, while 2P2 is set to 180°...

Go ahead and plan on doing a firmware update as well, since Error 61 could be related to that (is a battery comms error). For now you can set your battery type to 'USE' until you get the comms working. There are 2 firmwares on each unit, one for the display, and one for the inverter board, run the installers separately to get them both to latest rev..

After doing the firmware update, and if you want battery comms, it is important to set the inverter having the comms cable connected, to the proper battery type (like 'EG4' for example), then set the other inverter not having the battery comms cable on it to 'USE', since it will read through the other inverter as the slave.

Last edited:
I understand you can’t change the settings while the unit is powered up, in my post I did say that I was using solar only when I changed the settings on the unit. My question is, both EG4 6500EX units will not power up now after they shut off when I tried to power the units up, why?

Sometimes I found you have to kill all the powers (if the inverters act funny), like PV input, AC input, and battery connection, then turn back on (like rebooting the whole thing).

Or perhaps it isn't coming online because you had the the 2P1 set to 120° when it should be on 0°, confirm that first. I also always go back into Option 28 and make sure the setting 'stuck' after you thought you saved it just to make sure, then turn on the inverters again.

This morning after getting off of work, I started finishing the final touches with getting my 2 EG4 6500EX up and running. After powering up both units with Solar only so I could Desonate which inverted was 2P1 (120) and 2P2 (180) I started getting the 61 error code. I was going to fix this error late, and decided to power up the unit, when I pressed the button to power up the inverter, both invertes shut off, with one of the 3 batteries that I have purchased from Signature Solar, the breaker on 1 battery kicked off. At that point I turned off the batteries and solar, then stated powering everything back up, the 2 inverters will not power up and come back on line. The solar and batteries were not supplying power to any feed going out of my panel box as of yet, can anyone tell me if I am at fault for this, if so, what did I do wrong with bring the units live?
Error 61 usually has 2 fixes. 1 is the cable between the inverter and the battery is backwards. The other is a firmware update.

If the breaker on the battery tripped, that leads me to believe there was a short somewhere or the polarity on the batteries is reversed.

Sometimes I found you have to kill all the powers (if the inverters act funny), like PV input, AC input, and battery connection, then turn back on (like rebooting the whole thing).

Or perhaps it isn't coming online because you had the the 2P1 set to 120° when it should be on 0°, confirm that first. I also always go back into Option 28 and make sure the setting 'stuck' after you thought you saved it just to make sure, then turn on the inverters again.
The units will not power back up (go live) come on for me to change any settings while it is in standby mode. It has if the EG4 6500 are both dead with no life.

The units will not power back up (go live) come on for me to change any settings while it is in standby mode. It has if the EG4 6500 are both dead with no life.
Do you have voltage from the batteries at the terminals on the inverter?

Error 61 usually has 2 fixes. 1 is the cable between the inverter and the battery is backwards. The other is a firmware update.

If the breaker on the battery tripped, that leads me to believe there was a short somewhere or the polarity on the batteries is reversed.
I will do the firmware update only when I can get the units to come on in standby mode, right now Solar is coming in with batteries off to the inverters, but the units will not come on. As for thee breaker on the battery tripping, this is not the problem with the polarity reversed.

Do you have PV solar power connected and available on the input, or have a generator/grid AC power source connected? When the inverter is shut off, it cannot use battery power to keep the display on anymore, unless the PV is available, or there is power on the AC input, since without those, the inverter has to be on in order to take battery power to supply the display.

Back