diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Problem

When all just shut down, the only sound was 1 of the 3 battery breakers switching off.

Do you happen to have a generator, and can make a cord to plug into your AC input?

As Adam indicated before, can you check voltage right at the battery lugs on both inverters. Also check for PV voltage right at the PV inputs, if all else fails, wire in a generator on the AC inputs.

If battery voltage is at the inverters, then will they turn on with the push button in?

No, had connections
So was the picture taken earlier? I’m just trying to figure out why the disconnects are turned off in the picture.

I know there’s an internal fuse in the inverter that sits right above the positive battery connection. But I wouldn’t think if that was blown, it would prevent PV operation.

The other thing that comes to mind is inrush current from the batteries did something to the inverters, but I’m not sure if PV can pre-charge the capacitors in the inverter.

The fact that the inverters wont power up at all though…

Do you happen to have a generator, and can make a cord to plug into your AC input?

As Adam indicated before, can you check voltage right at the battery lugs on both inverters. Also check for PV voltage right at the PV inputs, if all else fails, wire in a generator on the AC inputs.

If battery voltage is at the inverters, then will they turn on with the push button in?
I will run power to my ac input on the inverters from the panel that I set up to feed power to what I was planning on running off of solar. So with that said, I have already run power from my home breaker box so no need for the generator, just have to flip the breaker in the panel to supply power to the inverter panel.
So was the picture taken earlier? I’m just trying to figure out why the disconnects are turned off in the picture.

I know there’s an internal fuse in the inverter that sits right above the positive battery connection. But I wouldn’t think if that was blown, it would prevent PV operation.

The other thing that comes to mind is inrush current from the batteries did something to the inverters, but I’m not sure if PV can pre-charge the capacitors in the inverter.

The fact that the inverters wont power up at all though…
when you ask for the pic, I had all turned off, here another pic with disconnects on, no power to the unit. Personally, I think the internal fuse is out, blown since I had one battery turn off.

Attachments

• IMG_4190.jpeg
    IMG_4190.jpeg
    748.9 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4191.jpeg
    IMG_4191.jpeg
    806.5 KB · Views: 19
I will run power to my ac input on the inverters from the panel that I set up to feed power to what I was planning on running off of solar. So with that said, I have already run power from my home breaker box so no need for the generator, just have to flip the breaker in the panel to supply power to the inverter panel.

when you ask for the pic, I had all turned off, here another pic with disconnects on, no power to the unit. Personally, I think the internal fuse is out, blown since I had one battery turn off

when you ask for the pic, I had all turned off, here another pic with disconnects on, no power to the unit. Personally, I think the internal fuse is out, blown since I had one battery turn off.
Solar should put the units in standby mode, but I get nothing.

Do you have a voltmeter, or one you could borrow?

No on hand, but if I run power from my panel to the AC input on the inverter, it should power up if the internal fuse on the inverter is not blown , right?

Just switched my power out on the inverter, to coming in from the panel, that is powered by my home panel. Right now the inverter are set up working together (2P1 - 2P2), I have ground and neutral on the same bus bar and both hots on the same breaker, don’t I need to have each hot on its on breaker and change the ground a neutral as well before adding power to the ac in?

Just switched my power out on the inverter, to coming in from the panel, that is powered by my home panel. Right now the inverter are set up working together (2P1 - 2P2), I have ground and neutral on the same bus bar and both hots on the same breaker, don’t I need to have each hot on its on breaker and change the ground a neutral as well before adding power to the ac in?

Attachments

• IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 18
Just looking for a confirmation before I switch power on from the grid to my panel that has the leads going to the AC in on the inverter, don’t want to make my situation any worse than what it is.

You should go back to basics, unparallel the inverters and then try and fire them up with just battery power one at a time. Make sure absolutely everything else is disconnected.
The way you have described your AC wiring and what I see, you should probably call in someone with more knowledge to help you. Read the manual.

I believe the internal fuse is only related to the battery connection. It shouldn’t affect the PV side of things to my knowledge.

Ummm what the what?
Step back, maybe phone a friend.
Do you have a wiring diagram?
Isolate the inverters before trying to power them up. Fix your panel and quadruple check your wiring before anything.
Screenshot_20231119-142841.jpg

If the fuse is out by the rushing in of power from the batteries, and at the same time my PV side is not powering up the unit to go in standby mode, call me stupid, but it may be a related issues.

Ummm what the what?
Step back, maybe phone a friend.
Do you have a wiring diagram?
Isolate the inverters before trying to power them up. Fix your panel and quadruple check your wiring before anything.
View attachment 178762
The red to ground? Red because I did not have green color for ground. Panel is good. Let me also mention, I work a lot and the system as always been off, but has been up and running over 5 different time without any problems.

Attachments

• IMG_4193.jpeg
    IMG_4193.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 18
  • IMG_4192.jpeg
    IMG_4192.jpeg
    894.1 KB · Views: 16
The red to ground? Red because I did not have green color for ground. Panel is good. Let me also mention, I work a lot and the system as always been off, but has been up and running over 5 different time without any problems.
Sorry if I was harsh, I don't want to see anyone get zapped and let out the magic smoke. I take shortcuts to but there are things you should not shortcut, I suppose it's better than green for a hot bit still...

So it ran fine until you attempted to wire in the 2nd inverter or that was working as well?
Did you use a precharge resistor or follow the precharge sequence for the batteries before power up?
As @Adam De Lay mentioned the fact the battery breaker tripped sounds like a short somewhere (then I see the red to ground)... It could have also tripped from inrush current while the capacitors charged.
You did say you have voltage at the battery terminals on the inverter?

Edit - looking at that photo of the red to ground again makes my brain hurt. I assume you have this on the top of the list to correct? You may always remember it but if/when someone else has to troubleshoot...

You should go back to basics, unparallel the inverters and then try and fire them up with just battery power one at a time. Make sure absolutely everything else is disconnected.
The way you have described your AC wiring and what I see, you should probably call in someone with more knowledge to help you. Read the manual.
I can not unparalleled the inverters because the inverters will not power up in standby mode from the solar that is coming in. Calling in someone with more knowledge would be a wise move no doubt, but being that my solar coming in with power doesn’t power my panel for standby mode, is not the wiring, it’s the inverter. Thanks you for your thoughts.

I can not unparalleled the inverters because the inverters will not power up in standby mode from the solar that is coming in. Calling in someone with more knowledge would be a wise move no doubt, but being that my solar coming in with power doesn’t power my panel for standby mode, is not the wiring, it’s the inverter. Thanks you for your thoughts.
You can unparallel them... Just disconnect them from each other completely, only feed power to one and see if it powers up.

Sorry if I was harsh, I don't want to see anyone get zapped and let out the magic smoke. I take shortcuts to but there are things you should not shortcut, I suppose it's better than green for a hot bit still...

So it ran fine until you attempted to wire in the 2nd inverter or that was working as well?
Did you use a precharge resistor or follow the precharge sequence for the batteries before power up?
As @Adam De Lay mentioned the fact the battery breaker tripped sounds like a short somewhere (then I see the red to ground)... It could have also tripped from inrush current while the capacitors charged.
You did say you have voltage at the battery terminals on the inverter?

Edit - looking at that photo of the red to ground again makes my brain hurt. I assume you have this on the top of the list to correct? You may always remember it but if/when someone else has to troubleshoot...
I wired all at the same time, only after I paired the to inverted to work together ( 2P1 - 2P2) in standby mode through solar , and pushed the power button to bring it all up and running , that’s when it all shut down and 1 battery breaker shut off. Another mistake I made was when I had it in standby mode, I did not change the settings for the battery input since I put both units to work together. Red to green will change to proper colors after I figure out what happens to my inverters.

Back