diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX Problem

I’m sorry if I have offended anybody, the whole reason I here asking questions is to figure out what I did wrong and how to fix it. Please tell me your diagnostics steps that I am not listening to.

The problem is with one or both of your inverters not the breaker, the breaker is doing exactly what it is supposed to do.
Disconnect absolutely everything from both inverters except for the battery connections and then try each inverter on its own, make sure you have the displays plugged in so you can see if there is any life.
Also you should probably be using a precharge resistor, a regular 60 or 100 watt domestic light bulb is perfect for this as it will glow maybe half brightness at 48 volts and should slowly dim as the capacitors charge if there is no short circuit in the inverter.
This

Okay got your attention. Disconnect absolutely everything from the inverters, connect your battery bank via one of your 125 amp breakers to 1 inverter, absolutely nothing else at all.

Remember, I never disconnected the IMO before pre-charging the batteries to the importer. That’s when the whole system went down.
You can't run the same string of panels to separate inverters. This is the 1st time I've ever seen romex used for pv wire... Are you running that all the way up to the roof?
I don't know what to say.
Please ask your neighbor for help.
It's a good thing the inverters still work but you should absolutely do a lot more research or ask for help from a professional.
Yes, both inverter settings screens came on and parallel to together, and I have no issues.

And I did what you asked me to do, I disconnected everything, except for the positive negative since I got to the home.
Good.
Now find a regular 60/100w bulb and somehow connect it across the 125a circuit breaker.... don't worry it cannot draw enough current to run anything or blow up but it will tell us if the inverter is shorted.
If it lights about half bright and slowly dimms, inverter battery input side is good. If it lights half bright and stays there for more than....say 1 min the inverter is knackered.
Then test the other one.

Have a question for you 420, that is , if I haven’t piss you off as well.
? You haven't pissed anyone off. We're all here to help. @Quattrohead knows a heck of a lot more than I do. I learned so much from him / reading his posts in threads when I was researching and planning.
Definitely listen to his advice.

Please don’t use Romex for PV connections. Or the wago connectors. And definitely don’t run the same string of panels split between two inverters.

Watch some 6500 wiring videos on YouTube. This setup is looking like a fire hazard. I’m not trying to be insulting but this is dangerous stuff.

It’s time to start from the ground up with safe connections.

I will let others help you further diagnose but I am fairly certain you shorted the DC bus by paralleling the PV . I only say that because in my beginner stupidity I did the same.

Good.
Now find a regular 60/100w bulb and somehow connect it across the 125a circuit breaker.... don't worry it cannot draw enough current to run anything or blow up but it will tell us if the inverter is shorted.
If it lights about half bright and slowly dimms, inverter battery input side is good. If it lights half bright and stays there for more than....say 1 min the inverter is knackered.
Then test the other one.
With power only going to one inverter from the battery bank?

Please don’t use Romex for PV connections. Or the wago connectors. And definitely don’t run the same string of panels split between two inverters.

Watch some 6500 wiring videos on YouTube. This setup is looking like a fire hazard. I’m not trying to be insulting but this is dangerous stuff.

It’s time to start from the ground up with safe connections.
This is excellent polite advice, said much better than I would have.

@vitalssigns there are lots of great videos on youtube on setting these inverters up.

Good.
Then test the other one.

Attachments

• IMG_4244.jpeg
    IMG_4244.jpeg
    682.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4245.jpeg
    IMG_4245.jpeg
    762.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_4246.jpeg
    IMG_4246.jpeg
    680.9 KB · Views: 17
You need one lead on the positive and one on the negative.
Do you have a base for the light bulb? Would make it alot easier.
Screenshot_20231122-175444.jpg

Back