diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 to power Dual 20 amp 120 Volt outlets to 240 Volt converter

If you need 240V the choice is to add another inverter (stacking) or install a 120V to 240V step up transformer. How many Watts do you need?

If you need 240V the choice is to add another inverter (stacking) or install a 120V to 240V step up transformer. How many Watts do you need?
minimum 3000-3500 watts total [3500-4000 to be safe], 6000 watts would be nice with a sensible maximum of 8000 to power a 7.8 kw charging cable [the OEM cable for the e-transit], however, going above 3500 watts would only be useful if i have a split phase / stacked system or a big step up transformer. the most i can draw for charging the e-van at 120vac is 20 amps [2400 watts]. i would need 240vac for higher wattage charging.

however, while those are options this is for e-van RV so space and weight are limited. i might go with stacked system if i can find one with a low solar input vdc or figure out how to get a high voltage array on the roof without going crazy. the EG4 6500EX-48 is nice since it starts at 80 vdc [most start at 120 vdc] and it is not too heavy

i could get by with a 3000 watt system but i would need to pay close attention what i'm doing. if i was charging at 2400 watts, the AC was on 300 watts steady [600-900 start up], cooking [induction plate or microwave] 800-1800 watts, tankless water heater 1800 watts and the fridge cycles on 100 watts, etc... then 3000 watts will not work. with 6500 watts i would not need to worry about it, assuming i don't have everything on at the same time at full power [eg don't try to charge the van while cooking and washing dishes at the same time with the AC on]

Based on your needs I believe you should be looking at the EG4 6K Inverter not the 6500. The 6K has 120/240V split phase built in no need to stack and I believe it is a low frequency design which is better for starting Air Conditioning loads.

Based on your needs I believe you should be looking at the EG4 6K Inverter not the 6500. The 6K has 120/240V split phase built in no need to stack and I believe it is a low frequency design which is better for starting Air Conditioning loads.
the EG4 6K is close to what i need, but i have more constraints that i've not yet listed here, i do thank you for digging into this with me, but i don't want to waste your time. the first issue with the EG4 6K is the minimum pv input of 120 vdc and it will be somewhere between very difficult to impossible to reach that voltage when the panels are not tilted on the van's roof. in addition to the panels on the roof i will also have some portable panels to setup while camping. since the two different arrays can easy have different angles and shading. it would be a lot better if the system has two MPPTs, as far as i know the EG4 6K only has one. also it would be really convenient if i could use 120v shore power to charge the system, but i would need a step up transformer for the EG4 6K. plus the EG4 6K is heavy, twice as heavy as the 6500 or even two stacked 3000 watt units, however, the 3000 watt units i've looked at thus far also have minimum pv input of 120 vdc. i've not looked at all of the models out there yet but right now my front runner is the 6500, it will do everything i need and i could even use it for fast charging if i add a 6000 watt step up transformer, although that will bring it close to the EG4 6K weight, but if i use the EG4 6K i would also need to add a step up transformer so that route is still heaver. initially i thought a "fast charging" option would be a high priority but the more i think about the lower it gets. it will take a few days of camping to recharge the van's batteries from solar and fast charging will not speed that up. the main use of an on board fast charging setup would be to gain a few extra miles while having lunch, assuming there is not an EV charging station in the area.

if you want to know more about my project you can follow my very ramblely and disorganized posts but if you value your sanity you should would wait until i've learned more and cleaned up those posts

Back