diy solar

diy solar

EG4 6500EX-48 torque spec for PV input

boxvan

The EG4 6500EX-48 manual on page 15, step 3, reads: "Make sure the wires are fully inserted and the terminals are torqued to spec." But I don't see the spec anywhere. I know a lot of other people are using this model so I thought someone might have encountered the same issue and found a resolution - does anyone know what the spec is? I'll call EG4 Signature Solar next time I get the chance during business hours to check, but that may be a few days due to a weird schedule.

Last edited:
The EG4 6500EX-48 manual on page 15, step 3, reads: "Make sure the wires are fully inserted and the terminals are torqued to spec." But I don't see the spec anywhere. I know a lot of other people are using this model so I thought someone might have encountered the same issue and found a resolution - does anyone know what the spec is? I'll call EG4 next time I get the chance during business hours to check, but that may be a few days due to a weird schedule.
Don’t know what the official spec is since it’s not in the manual, I just made it nice and snug without over-tightening.

If you do find out, please share!

Don’t know what the official spec is since it’s not in the manual, I just made it nice and snug without over-tightening.

If you do find out, please share!
Will do for sure! Not sure if it helps at all but here's a photo of the mysterious fasteners (banana-coloured tape in cm for scale):
banana_for_scale.jpg

Update: I talked to Nick in tech support at Signature Solar today and he said they've gotten the question before, but there is no torque listed for it, so I cranked them down the same way you mentioned and I guess use cable clamps as an additional precaution.

Update: I talked to Nick in tech support at Signature Solar today and he said they've gotten the question before, but there is no torque listed for it, so I cranked them down the same way you mentioned and I guess use cable clamps as an additional precaution.
Thanks for checking! Guess I’ll have to add that to my list of documentation inconsistencies/oddities.

Thanks for checking! Guess I’ll have to add that to my list of documentation inconsistencies/oddities.
More follow-up: go ahead and remove one item from your list; I got another update today from tech support at SS and we have a spec now!
I did a little digging to get the correct torque specs, but it looks like you should torque the terminals to 0.8 N•m (7 lb-in). I apologize for the oversight in the manual, and will let EG4 know that the manual for the 6500 is missing these specs. Thanks for contacting us about this!

More follow-up: go ahead and remove one item from your list; I got another update today from tech support at SS and we have a spec now!
Awesome! I’ll write that down in my copy. Thanks again for checking!

Back