diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 6500EX Solar Assistant Connection Issue

Thank you. The problem is that I bought the RS232 cable which is marketed as an alternative to the micro USB, from their website: "This RS232 cable can be used as an alternative to the USB B or micro USB cable."
But I can't get it to work.

I did try to hook up a micro USB to my SA PI, in the same configuration as yours, but it doesn't detect any USB port. I tried two different micro USB cables, and tried rebooting the SA PI unit. My inverters were both inverting and charging at the time, should I reboot the 6500ex units to see if it works?
I haven't tried it with an RS232 cable. On rebooting the inverters, I don't think it will resolve this but then again it's possible. I'd say try it. If that doesn't work I'd reach out to SA support.

info@solar-assistant.io

Update on my issue: based on recommendations from other members I purchased a cheap serial to USB adapter from amazon and connected it to the serial to rj45 cable that came with the inverter, and it works just fine. The rs232 cable which SA advertises for use with EG4 inverter comms does not work. I notified SA and Ian to immediately stop the false advertising and will be shipping back this cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20230215-163932.png
    Screenshot_20230215-163932.png
    136.3 KB · Views: 32
  • Screenshot_20230215-163853.png
    Screenshot_20230215-163853.png
    132.2 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_20230215_163843513.jpg
    IMG_20230215_163843513.jpg
    110.9 KB · Views: 32
OK, got it to work with my 3rd USB cable!
New question: Is there a way to monitor multiple packs when solar assistant is connected to the inverter and feeding back battery data through there? I'm only seeing one pack currently.
Yes, watch this: https://solar-assistant.io/help/battery/eg4
I'm monitoring 6 battery packs and it works great. Basically rj-45 connected in parallel using these: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4P3W9VJ?psc=1&ref=ppx_yo2ov_dt_b_product_details

Update on my issue: based on recommendations from other members I purchased a cheap serial to USB adapter from amazon and connected it to the serial to rj45 cable that came with the inverter, and it works just fine. The rs232 cable which SA advertises for use with EG4 inverter comms does not work. I notified SA and Ian to immediately stop the false advertising and will be shipping back this cable.
The cable you show is what you need for connecting the inverters to SA (1 per inverter).

I purchased the USB to cat5 from Ian and use it in my environment and it works with no issues.

Update: Watts247.com sent me an RS485 cable instead of RS232. Still waiting on Watts247.com to make this right...

Ok I stand corrected, RS232 is right. But there are 2 ways of acheiving this. 1) micro usb like above & 2) usb to RS232 to the RJ45 connection
I personally don't like the micro usb because it's too fragile.
The drawing is how mine is set up but as I recall it's the only way I could get it to work with the Pi. As I have mentioned, my inverters are LX6548 but I believe this is the same on the 6500EX. According to the 6500EX manual you can use CAN (unidirectional), RS-485 or RS232 for BMS communication (#16 below) but I ended up connecting to the micro usb (#15) port for the Pi and it came right up. The only thing I had to do beyond that was connect to the batteries from the Pi with RS485 and set the dip switches correctly. So I'm thinking we're both right.

1676862081771.png

I found the micro-usb to be too flimsy and I also found out when you try to shut down your inverters, there’s power coming from the Pi to the display of the inverter, so the display won’t turn off till you pull the USB cable.

Based on the image above, my USB to cat5 cable is plugged into the PC port (18).

I found the micro-usb to be too flimsy and I also found out when you try to shut down your inverters, there’s power coming from the Pi to the display of the inverter, so the display won’t turn off till you pull the USB cable.

Based on the image above, my USB to cat5 cable is plugged into the PC port (18).
You're absolutely right about the Pi feeding power to the display. I found that a little odd, but it's not a problem. Not as bad as the PV connection having AC current on it when the unit is turned off but AC In is still connected! But that's a whole other thread. I was gonna test that today but got tied up with cattle stuff so maybe tomorrow.

Now y'all have me so curious I'm going to have to test it with a cable connection as you describe. I don't mind the micro usb but now I need to know.

Ditto

You're absolutely right about the Pi feeding power to the display. I found that a little odd, but it's not a problem. Not as bad as the PV connection having AC current on it when the unit is turned off but AC In is still connected! But that's a whole other thread. I was gonna test that today but got tied up with cattle stuff so maybe tomorrow.

Now y'all have me so curious I'm going to have to test it with a cable connection as you describe. I don't mind the micro usb but now I need to know.
Yes, the micro USB does try to power the logic/display from the pi. That can end up with a fault in the last inverter to try to power down. Yes the cable from Watts247 is expensive but it does work better without the drama. Note, if the pi is not seeing both inverters and you know everythings right, restart the inverters. That worked for me as my last resort-hail Mary play.

Hello there I’m jumping on this thread because I’m having similar issues but I’m using an OrangePi SA. SA was working fine for reading inverter data when I only had two inveters with both of them connected via USB to the Pi. Well I now have a total of 4 inverters (2 in each of the split phases), and 6 batteries. I’ve never been able to get SA to read individual battery data. What i am trying to achieve is getting SA to properly read all the batteries and the inverters. Here is my current setup

Physical Setup
Inverter 1 - 2p1 Master
Inverter 2 - 2p1 Slave
Inverter 3 - 2p2 Slave
Inverter 4 - 2p2 Slave

I only have PV run to both MPPT 1&2 on Inverters 3 and 4. Inverters 1&2 have no PV at all. Again these are the physical locations of the inverters on my wall from left to right. The inverters in SA are different. I should be getting data on all four inverters for MPPT 1&2, even though some values should be zero since there are no PV connected.

1685728172219.png
1685728172243.png
Also no data for individual batteries

1685728172266.png

Also I’m getting no individual battery data for the 6 batteries I have. Can you please tell me how to get all 4 inverters properly displaying MPPT 1&2

The website documentation indicated with EGX inverters I should be able to connect one inverter with a mini USB cable to the Pi and have it read all four inverters but I’m not getting all the data that I need. Do I need to have all four inverters plugged I to a usb hub and then to the orangePi?

Also what exactly do I need to buy and connect in order to get all six EG4 batteries connected to solar assistant and also to my inverters?
1685728172332.png
1685728172374.png

Thanks in advance for your help!

Chris

Last edited:
Hello there I’m jumping on this thread because I’m having similar issues but I’m using an OrangePi SA. SA was working fine for reading inverter data when I only had two inveters with both of them connected via USB to the Pi. Well I now have a total of 4 inverters (2 in each of the split phases), and 6 batteries. I’ve never been able to get SA to read individual battery data. What i am trying to achieve is getting SA to properly read all the batteries and the inverters. Here is my current setup

Physical Setup
Inverter 1 - 2p1 Master
Inverter 2 - 2p1 Slave
Inverter 3 - 2p2 Slave
Inverter 4 - 2p2 Slave

I only have PV run to both MPPT 1&2 on Inverters 3 and 4. Inverters 1&2 have no PV at all. Again these are the physical locations of the inverters on my wall from left to right. The inverters in SA are different. I should be getting data on all four inverters for MPPT 1&2, even though some values should be zero since there are no PV connected.

View attachment 151499
View attachment 151501
Also no data for individual batteries

View attachment 151500

Also I’m getting no individual battery data for the 6 batteries I have. Can you please tell me how to get all 4 inverters properly displaying MPPT 1&2

The website documentation indicated with EGX inverters I should be able to connect one inverter with a mini USB cable to the Pi and have it read all four inverters but I’m not getting all the data that I need. Do I need to have all four inverters plugged I to a usb hub and then to the orangePi?

Also what exactly do I need to buy and connect in order to get all six EG4 batteries connected to solar assistant and also to my inverters?
View attachment 151502
View attachment 151503

Thanks gore your help!

Kindest Regards,
Chris
Can you show us what you have selected on your Configuration tab for Inverter and Battery?

Last edited:
I would recommend running an individual cable to each inverter. There's a known issue where you won't get all your inverter information from each paralleled inverter.

Back