diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8kW Hybrid Inverter | 8000W Output | 12000W PV - $2,799.00

I second that. The EG4 8kW is my third off-grid inverter and the best so far.
I know this is subjective, but how noisy are these units (I mean actual audible noise). I have LVX6048s right now and they sound like jet fighters in my mechanical room even at idle.

I know this is subjective, but how noisy are these units (I mean actual audible noise). I have LVX6048s right now and they sound like jet fighters in my mechanical room even at idle.
Its a quiet unit. Mine is in a closet 10ft from my bed. You can carry on a conversation standing next to it. I can hear it, but the sound probably wouldn't register on a video if I took one. The fans ramp up when the water heater kicks on, which is the only real heavy load it sees. Even my A/C unit doesn't kick on the fans.

That is a rebadged Megarevo R8KLNA?

View attachment 122775

Specifications

Lots of horror stories about them on this forum.
Signature Solar will say the problems are fixed. When the first brave soul buys one let us know.
I want and need one of these, but after watching Will's YouTube video, I am not risking buying one yet. When you check EG4 website, they do not even have a firmware update for this unit. I will stick with my two 6500EX units for now. NOTE at one time the 6500EX said they would support Hybrid grid, but that has never come to light.

I want and need one of these, but after watching Will's YouTube video, I am not risking buying one yet. When you check EG4 website, they do not even have a firmware update for this unit. I will stick with my two 6500EX units for now. NOTE at one time the 6500EX said they would support Hybrid grid, but that has never come to light.
Why does it need a software upgrade? IMO, that's the culprit in most problems. An engineer, 3 levels down the chain thinks it's a good idea to install a new "upgraded feature" and breaks everything!

If you already own two 6500ex, I don't think this unit would ever be a consideration. There is no benefit, and in some cases you would be losing capability.

If you are just curious and have the backup, I would just purchase the unit directly from Alibaba. Save $1000.

I have had 2 of these running for the past 7 months, and are now using them in parallel. I've been fairly happy with them, despite having near zero customer support.
I recently got my dual 8kw system operating but haven't got them in parallel yet. I can see in the menu under Setup, #15 is Parallel where you can select who is master/slave. Just wondering of the Sequence to tie in the slave unit. For now I'm guessing select the Master unit as Master, Slave as slave, shut down slave, close breaker where slave is tied to the panel where the Master is running at 240 Volts so the slave can see it's power, power up slave and it will automatically synchronize with the master and be online in parallel. Is this correct? I haven't seen any information on tying in the slave unit yet. Thanks.

I recently got my dual 8kw system operating but haven't got them in parallel yet. I can see in the menu under Setup, #15 is Parallel where you can select who is master/slave. Just wondering of the Sequence to tie in the slave unit. For now I'm guessing select the Master unit as Master, Slave as slave, shut down slave, close breaker where slave is tied to the panel where the Master is running at 240 Volts so the slave can see it's power, power up slave and it will automatically synchronize with the master and be online in parallel. Is this correct? I haven't seen any information on tying in the slave unit yet. Thanks.
How about you start your own thread? People can't find solutions when they are buried 42 pages deep.

There is a note that the Slave won't output power until it 'sees' the master. On the old firmware, I can turn each inverter on or off at random and the load never drops, it doesn't seem to matter. I never switch off the breakers to the panel. I'm not sure if it matters, but I haven't had an issue yet.

On the newer firmware, once one drops out, the other will reboot, then resume powering the load. Also, I've had issues with the new firmware not giving full power output in parallel.

The intertwining of Chinese OEM's and re-branded manufacturers is complex, but in this instance I believe DEYE and Megarevo are head-to-head competitors. Megarevo has no doubt copied DEYE features/format, as Shenzhen/Chinese companies are very good at this. But DEYE is normally very respectful of the SolArk's exclusivity granted for the North American market, so its is highly unlikely DEYE would contravene SolArk agreement by contract-manufacturing for another Chinese mfg (Megarevo) who has in turn white-labeled for EG4 in North America. The most important question is whether Megarevo, a relative newbie, can produce a quality product that meets the simultaneous demands of the grid-tie installer world and the DIY off-grid world . . . . gotta love the features, though.
I've got a Deye 8k from 2020. It's a rock solid piece of equipment that I wish I could get more of. I made the mistake of thinking that the EG4/Megarevo was a Deye with another name based on the seemingly same box. Once you see them side by side you know the difference. The Deye box is substantial. The EG4 box looks substantial in the pictures. Deye has a real GUI interface that is, in my opinion, better than Sol-ark, and a real outdoor box. My Deye has been running 24-7without a hiccup for almost three years now.The software on the EG4 reminds me of something that was available back in the 1990's. There is no GUI and it's confusing as hell. I'm finishing up a customer install of my first one and frankly I'm afraid to fire it up. After getting the conflicting input from Sig Solar on the not being able to communicate with their batteries so I have to set it to Lead acid to get it to work at 90% capacity. And then there's the stories about not being able to stop grid feedback, "this is a grid backup only install" so no Net Metering contract.
I have another one to install right after this one. Being over a week out in getting an answer from Sig Solar on a few of my startup concerns when they promised it would only be a couple of days at most, I'm feeling pretty edgy about these. I just watched Will's latest update video on it as well. He's on his third one and giving up on them.

Last edited:
Back