diy solar

diy solar

EG4 8kW Hybrid Inverter | 8000W Output | 12000W PV - $2,799.00

carsantini

Obviously, this inverter is manufactured by DEYE. Anyone that has this rebranded inverter or its variations that can provide some overall input?

1669938725908.png

Obviously, this inverter is manufactured by DEYE. Anyone that has this rebranded inverter or its variations that can provide some overall input?

View attachment 122633
this inverter is not manufactored by deye, rather by megarevo

this inverter is not manufactored by deye, rather by megarevo
According to my research both Megarevo, Sol-ark, Greensun, Rosen, Sunway, Sunpok, Invt, etc, among other rebranded inverters are manufactured by DEYE.

Last edited:
I’m going to get ahold of EG4/Sig, but maybe someone here knows.. Will this inverter have the ability to use external Cts pi put on the homes mains wires to do zero export grid tie operation? To enable the inverter to use the battery in grid tie mode and not drain the battery power into the grid.
Also does the inverter continue to supply its max output to the main panel when the main panels loads exceed the inverters max output capability and the grid simply adds its power to the main panel simultaneously?

I’m going to get ahold of EG4/Sig, but maybe someone here knows.. Will this inverter have the ability to use external Cts pi put on the homes mains wires to do zero export grid tie operation? To enable the inverter to use the battery in grid tie mode and not drain the battery power into the grid.
Also does the inverter continue to supply its max output to the main panel when the main panels loads exceed the inverters max output capability and the grid simply adds its power to the main panel simultaneously?
Manual pg. 20

1669939889593.png

Attachments

• 1669939868891.png
    1669939868891.png
    456.9 KB · Views: 36
Still kinda hard to understand. 2 CTs are needed to read a homes splitphase power usage. It’s only showing one ct fir single phase and one for splitphase but showing 3 Cts for 3 phase..
The old mechanical utility meters only read the single phase 240v part of a split-phase service. Not sure if the newer digital meters also counts the unbalanced load of the neutral. If not, then only one CT would be required. Either way, I would expect that the inverter only exports 240v.

The old mechanical utility meters only read the single phase 240v part of a split-phase service. Not sure if the newer digital meters also counts the unbalanced load of the neutral. If not, then only one CT would be required. Either way, I would expect that the inverter only exports 240v.
Most Utility meters have only one Ct in them. Both legs go thru that one Ct in opposite directions. The utility meter always uses 240v to figure out how much power the split phase home is using.

The utility meter always adds the amps used on both legs and the halves those amps and multiplies by 240v to charge us correctly.. For example if the home was using only 20 amps on one leg at 120v and zero amps on the other leg, the meter would see that as 20amps at 240v BUT It will divide those amps in half to charge us for 10 amps at 240v which is same as 20 amps at 120v.
Another example, If the home was using only 20 amps at 240v (no 120v loads) then meter would actually see that as 20amps on each leg, so 40amps at 240v, BUT again it will divide that 40amps in half to charge us for 20amps at 240v.. so it doesn’t matter if the homes loads is 120v only or 240v only or 120v and 240v loads at the same time, the meter ALWAYS halves the combined amps seen on both legs going thru the meters single Ct and then multiplies that by 240v to charge us for the correct amount of power we are using at 240v because the utility meter doesn’t use neutral so it can’t see 120v.

For the inverter a Ct on each leg is still needed because we use different amounts of power on each leg.. so if only one Ct is used and on that leg the Ct is on isn’t being used by the home for A 120v load then the inverter would not produce power because it sees zero power on that leg.. but the other leg could be still using 120v power on that leg and the inverter wouldn’t see it if inverter is only using one Ct the other leg.
yes the inverter most likely exports 240v but it still needs to see if 120v power is being used on either leg so that the inverter can cover that with 240v power to zero the amps the meter sees

Last edited:
While I understand your reasoning. If it only exports 240v, it only needs one CT to know if and how much it's exporting.

While I understand your reasoning. If it only exports 240v, it only needs one CT to know if and how much it's exporting.
if the inverter isn’t exporting on the leg it has a Ct on that doesn’t mean the inverter is fully covering all of the homes loads on both legs..
The inverter needs to know how much power the split phase home is using so it knows how much power to supply. if the inverter is only seeing the homes loads on only one leg and only trying to balance (prevent export) on one leg the ct is on, then if the split phase home is using only a 120v load on the leg that the inverter doesn’t have a Ct on, the inverter cannot see that 120v load at all. The 120v load would be using the leg without a Ct and neutral so if the inverter was only using one Ct on the other leg it couldn’t at all see the 120v load on the other leg..
I use 240v only (not splitphase) grid tie inverters on my split phase home. They have to use two Cts. One on each mains wire. There is no other way for the 240v only inverter to properly cover all of the unbalanced 120v and 240v loads of a splitphase home..
for example if the home is using 35 amps on L1 and 20 amps on L2, the inverter needs to monitor each leg to see that unbalanced load. The home doesn’t only use 240v. The inverters needs to be able to see 35+20=55 amps at 120v to cover it all By supplying 27.5amps at 240. If the inverter only has one ct on the L2 20amp leg then 15 amps at 120v (or 7.4amps at 240v) wouldn’t be covered..

Last edited:
I looked through the manual and didn't see anything in regard to ARC Fault or Ground Fault detection. I did see this setting on page 31, but don't know what it is:

1669955954103.png

Anyone have any idea?

The EG4 6500 doesn't have Ground Fault or Arc Fault protection - hopefully this one does for code compliance / inspection purposes, but I'm not seeing it so far - not clearly spelled out anyhow.

According to my research both Megarevo, Sol-ark, Greensun, Rosen, Sunway, Sunpok, Invt, etc, among other rebranded inverters are manufactured by DEYE.
deye / sol-ark / sunsynk are produced by deye.and each have their own custom firmware
rosen, sunway, greensun, turbo and others slap their label on deye inverters with their firmware

megarevo is a completely seperate company

if the inverter isn’t exporting on the leg it has a Ct on that doesn’t mean the inverter is fully covering all of the homes loads on both legs..
If the inverter only exports 240v, it can't export on only one leg. 240v requires both legs. So, you will get the same measurement on either leg. No need to measure both. Keep in mind that we are talking about export. Anything imported goes through the inverter and out through the loads output, and is measured there. (Probably measured on each leg independently)

The intertwining of Chinese OEM's and re-branded manufacturers is complex, but in this instance I believe DEYE and Megarevo are head-to-head competitors. Megarevo has no doubt copied DEYE features/format, as Shenzhen/Chinese companies are very good at this. But DEYE is normally very respectful of the SolArk's exclusivity granted for the North American market, so its is highly unlikely DEYE would contravene SolArk agreement by contract-manufacturing for another Chinese mfg (Megarevo) who has in turn white-labeled for EG4 in North America. The most important question is whether Megarevo, a relative newbie, can produce a quality product that meets the simultaneous demands of the grid-tie installer world and the DIY off-grid world . . . . gotta love the features, though.

If the inverter only exports 240v, it can't export on only one leg. 240v requires both legs. So, you will get the same measurement on either leg. No need to measure both. Keep in mind that we are talking about export. Anything imported goes through the inverter and out through the loads output, and is measured there. (Probably measured on each leg independently)
I’m thinking imported power does not go thru the inverter. The home continues to use the imported power directly in the main panel from the utility meter. That’s how systems function when using grid tie inverters. My 240v grid tie inverters that zero out my electric bill for my split phase home use 2 CTs, one on each main. No other way for the grid tie inverters to see how much they need to cover And if they are covering all of it.
if there’s less power being used by the home from the grid on the only leg the ct is monitoring, then the inverter will not be fully covering the homes loads.

If all imported power the home is using from the grid has to go thru inverter when the inverter is powering the home as a grid tie inverter, that would be a terrible design.. the inverter would have to be designed to pass thru enough power for all of the homes max loads.. no grid tie inverter that I know of passes all the grid power thru the inverter to the loads. The loads should simply use grid power in the main panel directly from the grid whenever grid power is needed. Which should be added simultaneously to inverter grid tie output if excess grid power is needed to fully cover the homes load. that is all happening in the main panel not pass thru..
for example Deye and SolArk (when operating as a grid tie inverter) function exactly as I describe.. if this inverter does not function that way then all the homes loads have to be moved to a sub panel for the grid and inverter to fully supply all of the homes load.. that would be silly, costly and a lot more work to install the system..

Last edited:
So how does the inverter export like a grid tie inverter could? though which wires? The inverter can’t have the AC input connected to the grid and the critica/subpanel also connected to the grid at the same time.

So how does the inverter export like a grid tie inverter could? though which wires? The inverter can’t have the AC input connected to the grid and the critica/subpanel also connected to the grid at the same time.

The AC input is bi-directional. I have a similar megarevo inverter (HV battery version) where I keep my 240v loads on my main panel that feeds the inverter, and a critical load subpanel that is feed via the inverter. Been running flawless for almost a year now.

That is a rebadged Megarevo R8KLNA?

Megarevo8k.jpg

Specifications

Lots of horror stories about them on this forum.
Signature Solar will say the problems are fixed. When the first brave soul buys one let us know.

The AC input is bi-directional. I have a similar megarevo inverter (HV battery version) where I keep my 240v loads on my main panel that feeds the inverter, and a critical load subpanel that is feed via the inverter. Been running flawless for almost a year now.

can your inverter use battery power to cover your 240v loads on the main panel If pv power isn’t enough? Can the inverter cover your critical loads panel loads and main panel loads at the same time with battery power supplied to both panels if it’s needed to zero out your grid usage?

Back