diy solar

diy solar

Eg4 battery comms with solark

eia2022

I have a Sol-ark 12k 1 eg4-ll v2 and 2 life power 4 batteries
I also have a solar assistant PC for monitoring

The issue I am having is with the closed loop comms. The eg-4ll which is set to address 1 (switch 4 towards the battery). The lifepower4 batteries are address 2 and 3 (switch 2 up and switch 1 and 2 up respectively)

However the inverter only sees the EG4-ll. If I connect to the lifepower4 battery with the BMS software I can see batteries 2 and 3 but not battery 1. If I connect via rs485 to the LL battery I can only see battery 1( I temporarily set pack one to address 5 when connecting to rs485).

Do I have to configure something for the LL battery to "see" the lifepower4 batteries?

If I set the LL battery to any other address i loose comms to the inverter. I have changed the lifepower's to a number of different addresses to no benefit.

Yes I reboot the bms's after changing address

I have a Sol-ark 12k 1 eg4-ll v2 and 2 life power 4 batteries
I also have a solar assistant PC for monitoring

The issue I am having is with the closed loop comms. The eg-4ll which is set to address 1 (switch 4 towards the battery). The lifepower4 batteries are address 2 and 3 (switch 2 up and switch 1 and 2 up respectively)

However the inverter only sees the EG4-ll. If I connect to the lifepower4 battery with the BMS software I can see batteries 2 and 3 but not battery 1. If I connect via rs485 to the LL battery I can only see battery 1( I temporarily set pack one to address 5 when connecting to rs485).

Do I have to configure something for the LL battery to "see" the lifepower4 batteries?

If I set the LL battery to any other address i loose comms to the inverter. I have changed the lifepower's to a number of different addresses to no benefit.

Yes I reboot the bms's after changing address
I have the same issue. I remember someone from Signature Solar mentioned that it could be done. Also, they mentioned that they might be a converter box to be released Jan/Feb than allows Life Power to talk to Sol-Ark.

*edit* NM I found this thread

----

Ed,
Where did you hear about an RS485 adapter/converter? Definitely interested.

I have a 6x Lifepower rack that is running open loop with my dual Solark12k's, and the built-in SOC on the SolArks seems way off when compared to connecting a pc to chained BMS...

Paul

Last edited:
@SignatureSolarJames Is there any update on this communications device for the LifePower4? Is the the RPI you were mentioning elsewhere?
thread from October '22

I'd be happy to beta test with my 6xLifepower4 rack and Solarks as I live pretty close over in McKinney :)
Paul
"SignatureSolarJames said:
Lifepower4 will have the display with this feature, expected release is december, around $100 with the solark adapter"

There is a firmware update that makes the LL see the lifepower4 it is not available on the eg4 site signature solar sent it to me. Installed and working now.

So you need an LL as the head end? I only have Lifepower4s.
LMK if the firmware works on them too!

There is a firmware update that makes the LL see the lifepower4 it is not available on the eg4 site signature solar sent it to me. Installed and working now.
Does your inverter see all the battery packs via the LL?

BTW, Could you put the new firmware in the new resources section so we can download it?
Thanks

Any hope of getting any response from Signature Solar or eia2022?
To establish Closed-Loop communication, the only option available is to download and implement the firmware update that allows communication with the Version 2 of the EG4-LL battery. But, please note that this update will make the Sol-Ark inverter display the SOC of the entire battery bank instead of individual batteries seeing as the LiFePOWER4 is only communicating with the LL battery, not the Sol-Ark. Fortunately, we have good news as we are launching a new communications hub next week that will enable CAN communication between LiFePOWER4 and Sol-Ark, as well as many other brands. Furthermore, we plan to release a video featuring the hub's compatibility with multiple inverters once the product goes live.

To establish Closed-Loop communication, the only option available is to download and implement the firmware update that allows communication with the Version 2 of the EG4-LL battery. But, please note that this update will make the Sol-Ark inverter display the SOC of the entire battery bank instead of individual batteries seeing as the LiFePOWER4 is only communicating with the LL battery, not the Sol-Ark. Fortunately, we have good news as we are launching a new communications hub next week that will enable CAN communication between LiFePOWER4 and Sol-Ark, as well as many other brands. Furthermore, we plan to release a video featuring the hub's compatibility with multiple inverters once the product goes live.
Can you tell more about the hub? Can we place an order now? And how much will it cost?
Thanks

Can you tell more about the hub? Can we place an order now? And how much will it cost?
Thanks
As I said, it releases sometime next week, so I am not sure of the cost just yet. Essentially, the hub will take any RS485 connection you give it and make it compatible with inverters that are using CAN protocol for closed-loop communications. Also, there will be a demonstration on how to set everything up in the video once it is released. You can also see SOC, Pack voltage, and Charge and Discharge currents on a comprehensive LCD screen.

Last edited:
As I said, it releases sometime next week, so I am not sure of the cost just yet. Essentially, the hub will take any RS485 connection you give it and make it compatible with inverters that are using CAN protocol for closed-loop communications. Also, there will be a demonstration on how to set everything up in the video once it is released. You can also see SOC, Pack voltage, and Charge and Discharge currents on a comprehensive LCD screen.

It has one RS485 port for an EG4 inverter. What is the method to connect more than one EG4 inverter, say two 6500EX in parallel?
Whenever the master inverter is connected to BMS communications, the slave inverter will be able to communicate with the batteries as well.

master inverter is connected to BMS communication
Thanks, but not sure what that means. Use rather EG4 setting #5.

I would like to use Victron's VRM, would VRM show all components and data using this hub: connect a Cerbo GX to CAN1, 0001 Battery to RS485-1 and 2P1 Inverter to RS485-3?

Just want to be sure before purchasing these pieces...

Last edited:
Yes, I found the video on Youtube. But it looks like the hub doesn't display battery details, cell voltages on Sol Ark.

Back