diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Brightmount and Permitting

ncsolarelectric

Engineering Support CEO
My structural engineer won't stamp a plan set using the EG4 Brightmount racking system. He claims it's not an Engineered System and has no certifications. Has anyone else run into this issue? What was your solution?

Thank you.

I am sorry to hear this. My inspector approved use of the brightmount as long as we use the concrete anchors mentioned in the documentation. (We were originally going to use railroad ties, but he is probably right). We are going to bury to frost depth as well. I submitted the manual/install documentation from SS's website.

I'd ask him what he means by an 'engineered system'. Perhaps it means a plan submitted by a solar installer? Or maybe if you submit the install doc and promise to adhere to it? Find out what the regs are for your jurisdiction. Ask others in your area with ground mounts what they had to submit. Perhaps SS may have some ideas too.

Just looked at your profile and it looks like you may be 'in the solar biz', so you may have thought of these already.

Last edited:
I am sorry to hear this. My inspector approved use of the brightmount as long as we use the concrete anchors mentioned in the documentation. (We were originally going to use railroad ties, but he is probably right). We are going to bury to frost depth as well. I submitted the manual/install documentation from SS's website.

I'd ask him what he means by an 'engineered system'. Perhaps it means a plan submitted by a solar installer? Or maybe if you submit the install doc and promise to adhere to it? Find out what the regs are for your jurisdiction. Ask others in your area with ground mounts what they had to submit. Perhaps SS may have some ideas too.

Just looked at your profile and it looks like you may be 'in the solar biz', so you may have thought of these already.
The inspector didn't reject it, the SC Licensed structural P.E. stamping the plans did. He wants to see calculations based on the strength of the product, the location in South Carolina at ASME wind speeds, and the consideration of soil conditions there. Not just a generic plan with no Math attached. The county, however, just said they would look at it and consider it without a stamp. We're waiting to see what they say.

Thank you!

I had to go with the concrete pilings like in the manual. Was hoping to get away with pressure treated wood, but no go.

The inspector didn't reject it, the SC Licensed structural P.E. stamping the plans did. He wants to see calculations based on the strength of the product, the location in South Carolina at ASME wind speeds, and the consideration of soil conditions there. Not just a generic plan with no Math attached. The county, however, just said they would look at it and consider it without a stamp. We're waiting to see what they say.

Thank you!
Update: The county rejected the plans and said if the S.E. won't certify it, they won't allow it. Keep this in mind when choosing the Brightmount system in South Carolina.

I think we're going to move to Powerfield PowerRacks, they cost more but they are backed by structural engineering calculations, as required.

Unirac and Ironridge are the big ones I think, if you haven't looked at those. I think they will both spit out pre-engineered designs from their design tool.

I did not choose to with brightmount until I decided to go unpermitted, as I figured it would be a challenge.

Unirac and Ironridge are the big ones I think, if you haven't looked at those. I think they will both spit out pre-engineered designs from their design tool.

I did not choose to with brightmount until I decided to go unpermitted, as I figured it would be a challenge.
The racking cost from both is low, but the Schedule 40 Galv. Pipe required to install it is too expensive, IMO.

Update: The county rejected the plans and said if the S.E. won't certify it, they won't allow it. Keep this in mind when choosing the Brightmount system in South Carolina.

I think we're going to move to Powerfield PowerRacks, they cost more but they are backed by structural engineering calculations, as required.
Glad I don’t need no stinking permit. Those “Powerfield PowerRacks” type buckets are cheap from China.

Glad I don’t need no stinking permit. Those “Powerfield PowerRacks” type buckets are cheap from China.
Really? Your coordinates put you in St. Paul, MN. I have a customer there who is installing a DIY solar system and he was required to get a permit because it affects the electrical system of the home, and they've made us jump through a few hoops so far to get approval. What's your secret, or did you just disregard the local requirements for code compliance?

Really? Your coordinates put you in St. Paul, MN. I have a customer there who is installing a DIY solar system and he was required to get a permit because it affects the electrical system of the home, and they've made us jump through a few hoops so far to get approval. What's your secret, or did you just disregard the local requirements for code compliance?
Ya, the project here has been terminated. Just became too many road blocks. One thing after the other. DIY in my jurisdiction is limited to single-family homes. I have a duplex. Even though there’s been no renters in it for nearly 20 years, I’d have to hire out the work. Could not find any electricians that would touch somebody else’s (my) work.

Thought about converting it to a single-family home. Realtors advised me that would be a bad idea as it would diminish its value for any future sale. And the city told me there’s no guarantee I could get it re-zone to be a duplex again.

So I’m buying property in an area where absolutely, positively, no frickn’ permits are required.

And it’s going to be bigger, better and all-around way more awesome than anything @timselectric has built! (OK, maybe not). But it will be all off-grid.

Last edited:
I ordered two sets of the EG4 Brightmounts for an 8-panel array. The mounts are said to be good for up to 105 mph, even though all of the force would be right at the single row of posts on the bottom (rather than the typical two rows of ground contact) Seems like there will be a lot of stress on the joints of the EG4 mount, at 105 mph. Especially at the 5"x5" mounting plate. Thoughts?

We get a lot of snow, so the mounts will be 2 feet off of the ground. No problems with termites though.

Rather than a permanent ground mount, I'm considering installing them on a large (used) utility trailer. The trailer is heavy and fine for a farm, but won't really be road worthy anymore without new tires and wiring. I'll bolt a pressure treated 6x6 to the trailer, then bolt the 5"x5" mounting plates to the PT 6x6.

If it want to install them on the ground, I need to get a building permit and an electrical permit. Not a big deal, but I want it mobile here on the farm.

Am I crazy? Or more to the point, is this idea crazy! Thank-you.

Did anyone find any additional information on these mounts as far a stress calculations? I have 5 and my PE won't sign off on them without additional info.

Did anyone find any additional information on these mounts as far a stress calculations? I have 5 and my PE won't sign off on them without additional info.
You may have to ask signature Solar or EG4 directly if there are engineering specs on the bright mount to help with permit/AHJ issues. The datasheet/instructions do not seem to be enough for some.

@SignatureSolarJess @EG4_Jarrett @EG4-Jacob

Can one of you help?

I may have written this already, but it seems to me there may be some over complicating going on. You should be able to ask the engineer to draw a plan with a 12 inch Sono tube ( building supply stores or material stores), dig to the engineer's depth for your area and soil, place a 2 inch schedule 40 galvanized pipe in the tube, pour the concrete and plumb the 4 corner tubes at one time. Then fill in any others to alignment. Run some schedule 40 pipe connected to the posts by Hollaender t connectors. Then place some Superstrut across those rails. The engineers have all the info for this stuff and can easily draw the plans and they will be permitted. And its all pretty cheap.

Back