diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter 5000 Not Charging

medic149

Cabin In The Woods
Last spring I installed the EG4 Chargeverter 5000 on my system which consists of an LV6548 and 2 EG4-LL 48v 100a batteries.
It worked fine the one time I used it in the spring, but now it doesn't want to charge. I have it hooked into my Honda 2200i generator using the 30amp plug.

I've tried lowering the voltage ranging from 47 to 51 volts and the current amps from 50 down to 1. Still doesn't charge.

It is getting power from the generator. There are also 2 steady green lights on the internal circuit boards.

Anyone else having this issue or have advise??

20231008_102655.jpg

UPDATE:

Well, this worked. Sort of.

The highest I can go is 53.6 volts with anywhere from 1 amp and above. Anything above 53.6, causes the chergeverter to turn off and reset.

I had it set at 53.6v and 50amp. It was hovering around 6 amps after a couple of minutes. After leaving it on for about 45 minutes, it was hovering at 1.2 amps and stayed there.

I have it hooked to my Honda 2200i generator. No changes whether on high idle or auto. It does have to be high idle when the chargeverter first kicks on or the chargeverter stops and resets. Once its going, I can put the auto idle on.

Still thinking that something is not right somewhere........ @BenFromSignatureSolar

The 48v 25a charger shown here, works a hell of a lot better and faster.
27754101-09d2-4013-8fb0-b229ff8b35fa__45961.jpg

Last edited:
There have been some issues where the 2 modules inside slides out of their connectors.
Disconnect it, bench dismantle it and check.
Fix the sliding...silicon it - let dry and install it back when dry.

Try again.

That's what I saw on a couple of videos, but both green lights are on when I look through the left side.

I might still have to remove it and open it up to take a look though.

There have been some issues where the 2 modules inside slides out of their connectors.
Disconnect it, bench dismantle it and check.
Fix the sliding...silicon it - let dry and install it back when dry.

Try a

Set the voltage properly...if you have it set at 51v but your batteries are at 52.3v it's not going to do anything. Put it up to 56v for those EG4 batteries and try again.

Set the voltage properly...if you have it set at 51v but your batteries are at 52.3v it's not going to do anything. Put it up to 56v for those EG4 batteries and try again.
Well, this worked. Sort of.

The highest I can go is 53.6 volts with anywhere from 1 amp and above. Anything above 53.6, causes the chergeverter to turn off and reset.

I had it set at 53.6v and 50amp. It was hovering around 6 amps after a couple of minutes. After leaving it on for about 45 minutes, it was hovering at 1.2 amps and stayed there.

I have it hooked to my Honda 2200i generator. No changes whether on high idle or auto. It does have to be high idle when the chargeverter first kicks on or the chargeverter stops and resets. Once its going, I can put the auto idle on.

Still thinking that something is not right somewhere........

The 48v 25a charger shown here, works a hell of a lot better and faster.
27754101-09d2-4013-8fb0-b229ff8b35fa__45961.jpg

Last edited:
Are you sure that the chargeverter is shutting off?
Or is the generator shutting off its output?

Have you tried a power source other than the generator?
No I haven't. Since our location is fully off-grid, I don't have another source. I do have another 2200i I might be able to get ahold of and try though.

Last edited:
No I haven't. Since our location is fully off-grid, I don't have another source. I do have another 2200i I might be able to get ahold of and try though.
What you can try is disconnect one of the batteries and connect it to the Chargeverter. Then power the Chargeverter from your LV6548 (running on the other battery) and see if it charges the disconnected battery as expected. If it works, then maybe your Honda is putting out questionable power or waveform. It shouldn't, but it would be an easy check.

What you can try is disconnect one of the batteries and connect it to the Chargeverter. Then power the Chargeverter from your LV6548 (running on the other battery) and see if it charges the disconnected battery as expected. If it works, then maybe your Honda is putting out questionable power or waveform. It shouldn't, but it would be an easy check.
I had actually thought about that, but need to get a 120 3-prong plug to wire to the AC outlet. Signature Solar was actually reviewing this thread as well and I am awaiting their response.

Thanks!

Have you tried new connections?

I have problems with bad connections on the plug from the generator to the shore power.

This is an example of a good plug where you the connector wraps around a post for good contact
1696976574371.jpeg
This is an example of the same type of connector that does not have a “wrap around” that the lack of causes x a bad connection.
1696976684371.jpeg

Have you tried new connections?

I have problems with bad connections on the plug from the generator to the shore power.

This is an example of a good plug where you the connector wraps around a post for good contact
View attachment 171766
This is an example of the same type of connector that does not have a “wrap around” that the lack of causes x a bad connection.
View attachment 171767

I'm hoping to figure this out before I start re-wiring plugs, but this could be a potential answer. I don't like the feel of the adapter I have going into the 30-amp plug on the generator. Thank you for the photos! I will keep these and check mine out.

Did you have any joy with this? I'm experiencing something similar.

My Chargeverter worked fine on several occasions but now it has stopped charging? Nothing has changed? The voltage is set to 57v, the battery currently sits on 53.91v and yet it just wont charge? I'm connected to the mains too, no generator involved, so that certainly isn't the issue.

I had one shipped overseas to the UK too so I'm not holding out much hope in getting it sorted. ?

** update **

I disconnected it from AC and the battery for ten minutes and tried it again and it worked. What the issue was I don't know?

Last edited:
Did you have any joy with this? I'm experiencing something similar.

My Chargeverter worked fine on several occasions but now it has stopped charging? Nothing has changed? The voltage is set to 57v, the battery currently sits on 53.91v and yet it just wont charge? I'm connected to the mains too, no generator involved, so that certainly isn't the issue.

I had one shipped overseas to the UK too so I'm not holding out much hope in getting it sorted. ?

** update **

I disconnected it from AC and the battery for ten minutes and tried it again and it worked. What the issue was I don't know?
Sometimes if power is interrupted multiple times in short succession, there are red LEDs that light up on the side opposite to the battery cables that indicate the unit has triggered a fault.

Last edited:
First thing worth noting, max voltage is 56v. Second thing is sometimes if power is interrupted multiple times in short succession, there are red LEDs that light up on the side opposite to the battery cables that indicate the unit has triggered a fault.

The max voltage it is capable of being set to reach is 57v.
Screenshot 2023-12-17 at 22.10.33.png

But I will make sure to look for any error lights should it happen again. Thanks.

The max voltage it is capable of being set to reach is 57v.
View attachment 183575

But I will make sure to look for any error lights should it happen again. Thanks.
You're right. My memory failed me...I remember thinking they couldn't get all the way up to 57.6v but forgot by how far.

I have been having an issue with this charger on my honda EU2200I also, I have found if I set the charge rate to 2 amps or less then start the generator, let it " Sync " or start charging then go up to 24 amps ( or whatever your can handle ) , Im at 7500 ft above sea level so 24 amps and my honda is maxed out. I did notice if I have the charger set to higher then 2 amps when it connects or the generator starts ... it revs up the Honda 9 like even at 5 amps and will not connect for some reason even though the Honda is not tripped ... very weird

I have been having an issue with this charger on my honda EU2200I also, I have found if I set the charge rate to 2 amps or less then start the generator, let it " Sync " or start charging then go up to 24 amps ( or whatever your can handle ) , Im at 7500 ft above sea level so 24 amps and my honda is maxed out. I did notice if I have the charger set to higher then 2 amps when it connects or the generator starts ... it revs up the Honda 9 like even at 5 amps and will not connect for some reason even though the Honda is not tripped ... very weird
I had similar happen on my onan 3600w generator. I found that it was resolved when I refueled it - the gas that was in it was about a year old and it couldn't provide much more than 2400w without sputtering and tripping the chargeverter due to a voltage drop.

Hi. After reading through this post, I'm not seeing my exact problem. So, here goes.

Had my system up for about two months now, and got around to hooking up the chargeverter today. It's not charging at all. Says my batteries are already charged. They are currently at 32%.. When I engage and charge from the inverters, everything works great. What's causing the batteries already charged error.

The system
1) Two rack mounted eg4 LL 48 volt batteries
2) Inverters off and all external inverter-related breakers off
3) Chargeverter connections wired directly to the racks internal bus bar, as are all of the cables normally used by the inverter for charging and discharging functions.

As to the chargeverter:

Powers on with no problem. I can access the settings and make changes with no problems. I also have two green lights. The one indicating that the chargeverter is on. The second indicating that the inverter is charging. Yet, the screen says that my batteries are fully charged.

Any help is great help. Thanks all

Back