diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter Battery/Inverter Communications

Note that it'll take a few minutes to start ramping up and will ramp up very slowly, so you may not think it's doing anything...
Thanks. I clearly don't understand this thing yet. I didn't think it was doing anything at all. I have my temp cord from the gen into the inlet box hooked up with just 12 awg wire (what I had laying around) so can't let it get that many amps (had it set to just 10 to test). This is out at a new building we're doing at a nearby property. I shut down the gen and went home after making that post but will test it again in the morning. Appreciate the input / correction.

Last edited:
Thanks. I clearly don't understand this thing yet. I didn't think it was doing anything at all. I have my temp cord from the gen into the inlet box hooked up with just 12 awg wire (what I had laying around) so can't let it get that many amps (had it set to just 10 to test). This is out at a new building we're doing at a nearby property. I shut down the gen and went home after making that post but will test it again in the morning. Appreciate the input / correction.
Note that you’ll have to do some nonstandard wiring to make a 120V input work

OK, got it hooked up (240V ‘cause that’s much easier than special wiring). Set it at 54V, 50 amps because that’s about 75% of what the little Champion generator on site is rated for. Worked great and very little fan noise (less than the inverters). Put it up to 60 A for a few minutes and that started to get a bit louder. Backed it off to 50A so as to not tax the generator. Will buy another and run both off the 10K gen. Will likely set both to 50A so as to keep things quieter and not tax that larger gen. Overall I’m happy but would be much more impressed if EG4 could figure out how to have inverter communicate with it (or the batteries with it and the inverter). As it is it’s like having about 50% of the info you desire at any given time. But still better than buying one large inverter gen.

Overall I’m happy but would be much more impressed if EG4 could figure out how to have inverter communicate with it (or the batteries with it and the inverter)
Yeah, there's an obvious missing integration between all their pieces. The engineers put the interfaces in, but they farmed their firmware out to Elbonia, and the everything-working-together-seamlessly function is just plain missing.

Good to hear you got it running!

Communication with the "Master" battery and Inverter can be done with software. The only value BMS communications provides that the CVGC appears to use is SOC.

120 VAC and 240 VAC both work.

The 120VAC pigtail:

20240731_171551.jpg

Last edited:
Communication with the "Master" battery and Inverter can be done with software. The only value BMS communications provides that the CVGC appears to use is SOC.

120 VAC and 240 VAC both work.

The 120VAC pigtail:

View attachment 232937
I built a custom cable from my EU3000i to my ChargeVerterGC:

Screenshot 2024-07-31 at 5.35.12 PM.png

Just make sure you label it as ChargeVerter ONLY, someone else who doesn't know trying to use this on some other 240V appliance will not have a good experience.

diy solar

diy solar
Back