diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Chargeverter

So my question is, if using an inverter charge requires a humongous generator, and (could) damage ac powered electronics (even with proper sized generator as it ages) then why sell the AIO?

why not make a charge controller/inverter? Even an inverter/charger has the same potential hazards of an AIO.

so thinking out loud “hey buy our awesome AIO unit! Everything you need, except ya might not wanna use the charger cause danger”

touting the benefits of the chargeverter is admission against interest for the AIO.

although in my case (no grid) an AIO is perfect. I just can’t get over the high consumption of some of these things.
The AIO isn't the problem. The cheaper small generators are. The chargeverter, or any separate charger solves that.

The AIO isn't the problem. The cheaper small generators are. The chargeverter, or any separate charger solves that.
Is it the “cheapness” of the generator, or the size? Or both?

do I have it right:

aio Likes clean sine wave I.e inverter/generator

seperate charger you can use standard generator (non sine)

in either case make sure generator is appropriate size for AIO charger

For the person who asked not sure if you are clear, 240 has a Line 1 and Line 2. It doesn't matter which Hot wire goes to which. Appliances cant tell the difference. Usually the receptacle either states L1, L2 or R , B but the colors vary. Always a Ground (should be an insulated ground) and in this case No Neutral (White)

For the person who asked not sure if you are clear, 240 has a Line 1 and Line 2. It doesn't matter which Hot wire goes to which. Appliances cant tell the difference. Usually the receptacle either states L1, L2 or R , B but the colors vary. Always a Ground (should be an insulated ground) and in this case No Neutral (White)
I think you are referring to me. I understand the phase thing. L1, l2, neutral. L1 and l2 gives you 240 (No neutral). You can pull either l1 or l2 with the neutral and you get 120. 240 doesn’t care “which is which”

what I,didn’t understand was according to,signiture guy he said the brown wire was neutral.

looking at the chargeverger manual it looks lIke blue is neutral.

then I thought, I’m wrong, or signature guy is wrong. Or maybe,I,don’t know how to read the pin out diagram I.e tt30p outlet the neutral is to the right

in the manual it shows neutral (blue on the right) so then I asked am I looking at the plug as if I’m plugging it in (manual would be,wrong) or am I looking at the pins.

or is the manual wrong (engrish)

so me thinks using the charger @240 or 120 just connect green properly. The,other 2,don’t matter, but in,120 the blue wire is the neutral

I think you are right, the AIO does what it's supposed to (or, sort of, for the most part according to what I have read on here). One problem I have with their (SS) "Off Grid" nomenclature is that it is misleading. When I hear the term "off grid", especially when this term is used in relation to solar power, I think of there not being the option of grid tied power. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone living under these TRULY off grid circumstances that does not have a generator as a part of their power generation infrastructure, even if it is just a rarely used backup. I believe that when they (SS) associate the term "off grid" to one of their inverters, they simply mean that it is not intended to be tied to the power grid for backfeed reasons, and perhaps liability reasons as well. Otherwise, why would you market and sell the cheapest AIO on the market only to require that you also purchase a generator large enough to supply the power needs of a small Eskimo village to safely hook up to the thing without concern for damage! They really should either clarify their misleading "Off Grid" nomenclature or better yet just call it a "Non-Grid Tie" unit.
All of that said, I'm really glad that SS has come out with a better solution! The first time I contacted them about their equipment and stumbled across the problem with hooking a generator up to their AIO, their offered solution was to buy 2 AIO's! One to use as an inverter and another to use as a charger! I'm not making that up!
I really like how Victron handles the connection of the gen set to their inverter/charger! I really like the idea of how the AIO units have all of the functions inside of one unit. I would LOVE to see Victron build an AIO!

I think you are right, the AIO does what it's supposed to (or, sort of, for the most part according to what I have read on here). One problem I have with their (SS) "Off Grid" nomenclature is that it is misleading. When I hear the term "off grid", especially when this term is used in relation to solar power, I think of there not being the option of grid tied power. I think you would be hard pressed to find someone living under these TRULY off grid circumstances that does not have a generator as a part of their power generation infrastructure, even if it is just a rarely used backup. I believe that when they (SS) associate the term "off grid" to one of their inverters, they simply mean that it is not intended to be tied to the power grid for backfeed reasons, and perhaps liability reasons as well. Otherwise, why would you market and sell the cheapest AIO on the market only to require that you also purchase a generator large enough to supply the power needs of a small Eskimo village to safely hook up to the thing without concern for damage! They really should either clarify their misleading "Off Grid" nomenclature or better yet just call it a "Non-Grid Tie" unit.
All of that said, I'm really glad that SS has come out with a better solution! The first time I contacted them about their equipment and stumbled across the problem with hooking a generator up to their AIO, their offered solution was to buy 2 AIO's! One to use as an inverter and another to use as a charger! I'm not making that up!
I really like how Victron handles the connection of the gen set to their inverter/charger! I really like the idea of how the AIO units have all of the functions inside of one unit. I would LOVE to see Victron build an AIO!
It's an industry standard term.
"Off grid" means it doesn't interact with the grid. And doesn't require the grid to operate.
"Grid-tied" does, on both accounts.
"Hybrid" blends both together.

It's an industry standard term.
"Off grid" means it doesn't interact with the grid. And doesn't require the grid to operate.
"Grid-tied" does, on both accounts.
"Hybrid" blends both together.

Fair enough. I guess in the end it comes down to my own lack of knowledge that misled me.

I think you are referring to me. I understand the phase thing. L1, l2, neutral. L1 and l2 gives you 240 (No neutral). You can pull either l1 or l2 with the neutral and you get 120. 240 doesn’t care “which is which”

what I,didn’t understand was according to,signiture guy he said the brown wire was neutral.

looking at the chargeverger manual it looks lIke blue is neutral.

then I thought, I’m wrong, or signature guy is wrong. Or maybe,I,don’t know how to read the pin out diagram I.e tt30p outlet the neutral is to the right

in the manual it shows neutral (blue on the right) so then I asked am I looking at the plug as if I’m plugging it in (manual would be,wrong) or am I looking at the pins.

or is the manual wrong (engrish)

so me thinks using the charger @240 or 120 just connect green properly. The,other 2,don’t matter, but in,120 the blue wire is the neutral
Don't get caught up in the color that's confusing. Pay attention to the orientation. EG4 has apparently used blue and brown wire but if you were to buy 10/3 it would probably be Red and Black. Always test before connecting. you should get 120 between the terminals at the top and bottom and ground and 240 between the terminals at the top and bottom ( in a 240 situation) the ground always has the L shaped terminal.

To give some explanation on its naming.
An "off grid" AIO. Is simply an off grid inverter, a transfer switch, an AC charger, and a solar charger, crammed into one enclosure.
If it weren't for the transfer switch and AC charger, it wouldn't have an AC input.

you and I have the same definition of off grid. It’s not the same as living within the grid and choosing not to connect.

victron does actually make an AIO. Just not for us, it’s 230

Don't get caught up in the color that's confusing. Pay attention to the orientation. EG4 has apparently used blue and brown wire but if you were to buy 10/3 it would probably be Red and Black. Always test before connecting. you should get 120 between the terminals at the top and bottom and ground and 240 between the terminals at the top and bottom ( in a 240 situation) the ground always has the L shaped terminal.
I wasn’t confused about the colors. Signiture solar guy said (or at least I interpreted) brown for neutral. Then I wasn’t sure if the pin out was “looking at” or ”looking away” from.

I can’t really test the charger (like you can an outlet). Or at least I don’t know how

Fair enough. I guess in the end it comes down to my own lack of knowledge that misled me.
Maybe it’s a Canadian thing or local thing but my (and most people I talk to) understand it like so:

grid tied = solar panels, no battery, use less power during day/sell back to utility

hybrid = solar panels, with battery system, use less during day, sell back to utility, use stored power at night.

off grid = no grid , panels and batteries (or in the case of city slickers, grid is there, but not connected)

Started this in case anybody has any issues or questions about the "Freebate" process

I wasn’t confused about the colors. Signiture solar guy said (or at least I interpreted) brown for neutral. Then I wasn’t sure if the pin out was “looking at” or ”looking away” from.

I can’t really test the charger (like you can an outlet). Or at least I don’t know how
Yes, he said brown for neutral.
Yes, international standards are brown L and blue N.
But for this piece of equipment, it doesn't matter. As long as the brown and blue are connected to the circuit, it will work fine and safely.

Maybe it’s a Canadian thing or local thing but my (and most people I talk to) understand it like so:
Naaaa.... it's not a Canadian thing, I'm from Canuckistan as well, maybe not Winnipeg (too cold for me) but Canada none the less.

Naaaa.... it's not a Canadian thing, I'm from Canuckistan as well, maybe not Winnipeg (too cold for me) but Canada none the less.
Winnipeg is cold. The smart ones leave.

the dummies stay. Lol.

(Family that moved to okanagon= smart)

Nothing ticks me off more than ordering something showing available then after paying being told it's on back order..... Ordered my Chargeverter several days ago, paid, received a notice from them saying it was being packed up which is obviously a lie because literally minutes later I received another email saying they were on back order.... nice, great way to earn customers, by lying to them on their first (and will be last) purchase.....

I guess you run out of stock for actual paying customers when you give them all away for free to Youtubers so they can pimp them out for you.... NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!

Hey Signature Solar, how do you "pack up and process" what you don't have in stock? I don't care that it's on back order, I care about the lie of omission of not being told it is, especially in light of all the ebeggers on Youtube getting theirs first. People have had a gut full of the ebay reviewer "I got this item for free but am not being compensated for this review and it will be fair and unbiased" BS.

1677268364607.png

1677268457577.png

Last edited:
Nothing ticks me off more than ordering something showing available then after paying being told it's on back order..... Ordered my Chargeverter several days ago, paid, received a notice from them saying it was being packed up which is obviously a lie because literally minutes later I received another email saying they were on back order.... nice, great way to earn customers, by lying to them on their first (and will be last) purchase.....

I guess you run out of stock for actual paying customers when you give them all away for free to Youtubers so they can pimp them out to you.... NOT IMPRESSED!!!!!!

Hey Signature Solar, how do you "pack up and process" what you don't have in stock? I don't care that it's on backorder, I care about not being told it is, especially in light of all the ebeggers on Youtube getting theirs first, people have had a gut full of the ebay reviewer "I got this item for free but am not being compensated for this review and it will be fair and unbiased" BS.

View attachment 136545

View attachment 136546
Not cool. Just checked their web site. Doesn’t say back ordered.

this is not a good company to deal with.

To be fair, the first sounds like the standard canned default order confirmation email that follows the same general trend that I've seen elsewhere.

That said, I do think their website should show if something is out of stock and either not let you order until it is back in stock, or show it as backordered and only let you order it if you understand it such and may be some time before it can ship.

I get sometimes inventory sometimes can be off from the website and things sometimes happen, but once identified the site should update stock status.

To be fair, the first sounds like the standard canned default order confirmation email that follows the same general trend that I've seen elsewhere.

That said, I do think their website should show if something is out of stock and either not let you order until it is back in stock, or show it as backordered and only let you order it if you understand it such and may be some time before it can ship.

I get sometimes inventory sometimes can be off from the website and things sometimes happen, but once identified the site should update stock status.
The first can be whatever they want it to be, you're right, apparently they automatically make a false statement as that's what it is. It can be auto generated or manually, a lie is a lie.

Yes, agree.. It's unethical that these online companies think this is acceptable. I don't spend an hour in Safeway, walk up to the cashier with a cart full of groceries, hand her $450.00 then watch her remove them from my cart and get told "she'll let me know when they come in these ones are just the bait to make me commit to the sale, please leave" and then walk out with an empty cart.... We have a choice where to shop (at a place with something IN stock, not only find out after they have your cash), and taking away that choice makes the choice easier for me, it won't be Signature Solar going forward.

Last edited:
Ordered mine on 6 Feb. Still on backorder. I'll admit I was disappointed when the website showed it was in-stock, several youtubers posted videos and yet my order wasn't shipped!

diy solar

diy solar
Back