diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Heat Pumps?

A relay might work, but I would likely need a/c mains power to keep that relay powered. I updated the other thread, one of the 24kbtu units will not cool with solar except under the dehumidify/dry setting. I do not recommend buying until these problems are sorted out.

Hi for the EG4 units, can the pipe come in on the left side of the indoor unit or it can only enter on the right?

Can these be installed with no battery or AC input. Purely ran off solar panels. I have a shipping container with some goods in it in Southern California desert which see 115-120 degrees in the summer. Would nice to be able to keep the container cooled off below 90 during the day using the solar panels I already have installed on top of the container.
So the EG4 Hybrid Heat Pumps are wired directly to the solar panels. There are two Connectors right under the cover, easy! You can also wire it to 120vac (240vac for the 24k) for those days heavy overcast and/or at night. I find with the 12K you want 4 - 400w panels and the 24 8 - 400 watt panels. I have run the 12k off three 285w panels but the 4 - 400w panels give you more run time.

So the EG4 Hybrid Heat Pumps are wired directly to the solar panels. There are two Connectors right under the cover, easy! You can also wire it to 120vac (240vac for the 24k) for those days heavy overcast and/or at night. I find with the 12K you want 4 - 400w panels and the 24 8 - 400 watt panels. I have run the 12k off three 285w panels but the 4 - 400w panels give you more run time.
Would you say your panel orientation is ideal or close to ideal?
The more I consider this system the more I think it may be better to just pull from a normal off grid or grid tied solar system with battery bank and inverter etc in order to benefit from the solar at times the mini split may not be needed.
This can be 6 mos or more for some areas.

Would you say your panel orientation is ideal or close to ideal?
The more I consider this system the more I think it may be better to just pull from a normal off grid or grid tied solar system with battery bank and inverter etc in order to benefit from the solar at times the mini split may not be needed.
This can be 6 mos or more for some areas.
My panels face south west. So you need a minimum voltage for the unit to work. So 4 panels in series will get you to that voltage sooner or with greyer skies. This is what I have found on our test platform. I'm in Maine

My panels face south west. So you need a minimum voltage for the unit to work. So 4 panels in series will get you to that voltage sooner or with greyer skies. This is what I have found on our test platform. I'm in Maine
Being in Maine, do you anticipate much heat from the system in winter?

Being in Maine, do you anticipate much heat from the system in winter?
We have been using only (no other sources) Fujitsu heat pumps rated at -5f up to this point. I have a shop I was heating with a 9k Fujitsu that I replaced with the 12K Hybrid only because they didn't have a 9k. The hybrid is rated at +5f We will see how it goes, so far so good but it has only been down to about 30f so far. As with the Fujitsu units I expect the hybrid to work below its +5f rating, it'll just start loosing efficiency.

My EG4 12K heat pump thermostat has a mind of its own. In heat mode it continues to heat even way past Setpoint. Right now Setpoint is 68 F and “current temperature” is 75, pulling 699 watts of AC.

I thought I saw a post like this but can’t find it. Any one else have this problem? I will contact Signature Solar, the vendor, and find out about how well the support what they sell.

i did have my AC service vendor do the evac/line connections.

other than it does not work correctly, I like it. Ha ha

DIYJim

Attachments

• IMG_0538.png
    IMG_0538.png
    317.8 KB · Views: 2
Back