diy solar

diy solar

EG4 LifePower 5x 48v 100ah 100% SOC drops to 45 volts under load

jeremyee

Two days ago I started to see my voltage drop to 45 volts under load. all 5 battery's are doing the same thing. It seem like the have been not fully charging and one day they all went to 100% SOC. The battery's are about a year old and i just started having issues.

Has anyone seen this issue?

Inverter: Growatt 6k (being replaced in 60 days with 3x EG4 6000XP)
battery: 3x EG4 LifePower 48v & 2x 24v in series
Charger: 1x 450/100 Victron, Growatt Inverter 6K (all power settings the same in config)
BMS: Victron Cebro & Shunt

1702265385900.png1702266003211.png1702265593791.png1702266051376.png

SOC can drift over time and become inaccurate. You've got to fully charge the packs regularly to keep SOC accurate. When was the last time you hit 100%?

Also, see how your peak SOC gets lower each day? You don't have enough solar (or it's just winter ?)

Plus you aren't hitting 45 volts under load, it looks like voltage is holding strong for the 6 ish hours of discharge each day. Then it hits the lower limit of you inverter settings and inverter idle load or DC loads drain the last little bit of juice from the pack.

I'd recommend a full charge to reset the SOC and raising the lower limit on the inverter.

Everyone does stupid things from time to time. You gave them a big chunk of cash.
They should be willing to help you out regardless.
Great point, but have you read the threads here? They can be painful to read.

SOC can drift over time and become inaccurate. You've got to fully charge the packs regularly to keep SOC accurate. When was the last time you hit 100%?

Also, see how your peak SOC gets lower each day? You don't have enough solar (or it's just winter ?)

Plus you aren't hitting 45 volts under load, it looks like voltage is holding strong for the 6 ish hours of discharge each day. Then it hits the lower limit of you inverter settings and inverter idle load or DC loads drain the last little bit of juice from the pack.

I'd recommend a full charge to reset the SOC and raising the lower limit on the inverter.

Great point, but have you read the threads here? They can be painful to read.
Tried to charge the batterys from grid but the won't take a charge. as for the SOC not hitting 100%, yeah its winter and I need to install another 4K of panels and trim that dammm tree that is blocking the sun in the morning. :)

Noticed you have (3) 48v and (2) 24v assuming you have the 24v wired up look like 48v to the system.
I would break up the bank and charge them independently to see what is actually charging up and what is not.
My guess is that the (2) 24v have something going on that is preventing the bank from charging as expected. So I'd start by disconnecting that portion and see what happens on both sides.

Sooooo, I think this is all on me. I am guessing this has to go way back to the days of not connecting the battery bus bar cables to the system at opposite ends of the battery rack buss bar and postponing fixing it for months.

I started to look into upgrading the firmware and looking at each of the battery in prep for the migration to the EG4 6K XP inverters. When I looked at all the batterys i noticed the last battery aka 2x 24V in series were at 10 and 20% SOC with errors. I disconnected the 2x 24V battery's from the rack buss bar and ran the 2x remaining 48V battery's all day. so far they are operating normally with solar and now without under a load.

I am charging both 24v battery's with a 24v Victron charger and so far one is taking the charge with no issues. I will charge them both back to normal and then finally fix the main battery wires to the rack buss bar (one top and one bottom). It took about a year to get this this state and shows a good reason to connect the main d/c wires to opposite ends of the rack buss bar at the beginning.

average voltage dropping and came back up today after removing under charged battery's
1702343000001.png

Back