diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Lifepower battery SOC differences

RGH69

I currently have 4 EG4 Lifepower batteries. Solar assistant states the batteries showing differences in SOC but the voltages are similar. The main issue is battery 1. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

1680091877161.png

I currently have 4 EG4 Lifepower batteries. Solar assistant states the batteries showing differences in SOC but the voltages are similar. The main issue is battery 1. Any ideas on how to resolve this?

BMS counts current in and out of the battery. If they aren't regularly re-synched at full charge, their accuracy will drift. Cell imbalance can adversely influence SoC and/or prohibit normal sync.

Verify that the batteries are sharing about the same amount of current.

Hold batteries at the absorption voltage for at least 4 hours and then assess how that influences the disparity.

what is it reading when fully charged ?
I have 6 eg4 batts and sometime one will read about 85 when all others are 100
but it seems to fix itself given time
right now max difference between batts is 6 pct
what are you setting charge voltage at ?

That battery never shows over 60% SOC. However, the battery voltage is usually similar to the other batteries. I am leaning towards faulty BMS reporting.

That battery never shows over 60% SOC. However, the battery voltage is usually similar to the other batteries. I am leaning towards faulty BMS reporting.

"Faulty" is misleading. If you never put air in a tire, and it loses pressure, do you say the tire is faulty... or do you attribute the pressure loss to improper maintenance? "Inaccurate" is totally acceptable, but all BMS have this limitation - including a Victron or other high end battery monitor that tracks SoC - if they don't sync regularly, they will not be accurate.

Did you try holding the absorption voltage for 4+ hours?

"Faulty" is misleading. If you never put air in a tire, and it loses pressure, do you say the tire is faulty... or do you attribute the pressure loss to improper maintenance? "Inaccurate" is totally acceptable, but all BMS have this limitation - including a Victron or other high end battery monitor that tracks SoC - if they don't sync regularly, they will not be accurate.

Of course not

If a tire loses pressure, there is a leak. I am still going with faulty.

Yes, I thought everyone understood that!
You've been given a path to pursue to fix your problem but you seem to just want to argue about semantics.
SOC is a derived, calculated number. It is not a direct measurement. To reset the accuracy of this calculation, you need to fully charge your batteries. And hold that charge value for a period of time.
Instead of arguing about analogies, why don't you try and figure out how to accomplish this task.

You've been given a path to pursue to fix your problem but you seem to just want to argue about semantics.
SOC is a derived, calculated number. It is not a direct measurement. To reset the accuracy of this calculation, you need to fully charge your batteries. And hold that charge value for a period of time.
Instead of arguing about analogies, why don't you try and figure out how to accomplish this task.
I was just replying to a douchbag response. A simple, "this is a suggested way to fix it" is better than a "don't you do maintenance you idiot"?

Beside, I am in the process of selling all of my EG4 equipment. I am tired of the frustrations.

Last edited:
I was just replying to a douchbag response. A simple, "this is a suggested way to fix it" is better than a "don't you do maintenance you idiot"?

That's really what you got out of that statement? How do you survive on the Internet being so fragile and assuming everything is about you?

Posted here again:

The only action or inaction that can be interpreted as applicable to you is bolded. Anything else you took from that has nothing to do with what I said.

Beside, I am in the process of selling all of my EG4 equipment. I am tired of the frustrations.

Good riddance to you both! :p

Not fragile at all . Just replying in kind. Yes, I tried fully charging all batteries. The one never goes above 60% SOC. However all of the voltages are the same. So yes, the BMS is "inaccurate" aka "Faulty". I just received two more Lifepower4's that I ordered before I decided to get rid of the EG4 stuff. So I am in the process of fully charging those and making certain that they all have the same firmware before selling them. I do not want to pass my problems to somebody else. I will be going the Sol-Ark route but have not decided on the batteries yet. So, looks like I will still be around. :ROFLMAO:

Not fragile at all . Just replying in kind.

You must be if you interpreted that as a "douchebag" response and replied in kind. Other people read this stuff. It's kind important to keep perspective.

Yes, I tried fully charging all batteries. The one never goes above 60% SOC. However all of the voltages are the same. So yes, the BMS is "inaccurate" aka "Faulty".

I think the real issue is that you're frustrated, and you're prone to seeing negativity even when none exists. I'm assuming you're an adult, so you must have identified the fact that the world isn't simply black and white.

A BMS that doesn't show accurate SoC 100% of the time is not faulty. If that's your measure, 100% of all BMS and battery monitors on the planet are faulty.

Certain conditions must be met for a BMS or any other battery monitor to maintain accuracy, i.e., air must be in a tire for the tire to do its job. If cars came with tires that had not been inflated, would your conclusion be faulty tires? I sure hope not.

I just received two more Lifepower4's that I ordered before I decided to get rid of the EG4 stuff. So I am in the process of fully charging those and making certain that they all have the same firmware before selling them. I do not want to pass my problems to somebody else. I will be going the Sol-Ark route but have not decided on the batteries yet. So, looks like I will still be around. :ROFLMAO:

Good luck!

I think the real issue is that you're frustrated, and you're prone to seeing negativity even when none exists. I'm assuming you're an adult, so you must have identified the fact that the world isn't simply black and white.
So, you really don't see this as a childish response?

I only get frustrated when something does not work as intended. When I designed LED controls years ago, I tested everything so the end user does not have to become an expert. So yes, I get frustrated when a company does not test their products so they simply work.

So, you really don't see this as a childish response?

Not in the least. I'm dealing with someone willing to sling around "douchebag" to a comment intended to be helpful not just for you but for anyone that might encounter your post labeling a BMS that doesn't read correct SoC as "faulty."

I only get frustrated when something does not work as intended.

I think it's fair to say that we all do.

When I designed LED controls years ago, I tested everything so the end user does not have to become an expert.

I assume you were not in China producing products made in China driven to keep costs as low as possible while maximizing profits and maintaining aggressively competitive pricing using the end-user as your quality control inspector?

SS is a distributor, not a manufacturer or designer.

This shit is made in China using admittedly non-EV grade cells, and the accounts of issues with them are pretty regular as are almost all other brands of Chinese made LFP batteries of all types.

Your mistake is assuming Chinese products meet the same standards you apply to yourself.

So yes, I get frustrated when a company does not test their products so they simply work.

China is likely not where you want to source your products then. Consider that Sol-Ark are made in China (by DYE), but they do appear to be of higher quality than the EG4/Growatt/MPP Solar ilk.

I chose products made in India by a company based in the Netherlands. They just work. I foolishly built a custom DIY NMC battery that took me nearly three years to complete (okay, half complete). For all intents and purposes, I'm the manufacturer of that, and I trust myself more than I trust the Chinese. Cells were PHEV grade made in Japan by Panasonic, and I trust those. Of the 588+ cells I've tested, I've seen nothing of concern.

Still.....the BMS reporting is faulty by my standards. And, by my standards, your comments were quite douche-baggy because you were adamant about the differences between faulty tires and BMS reporting :rolleyes: vs. understanding that I needed more direction. However, you do sound like you understand these products quite well and I trust your opinions about settings and configurations which is why I tried fully charging the batteries. Once these other two batteries get charged and the firmware updated, I am hoping everything starts reporting as expected. So how about this, I will try to resolve the issues as you and the others suggest, and you let me use words how I see fit.

Back