diy solar

diy solar

EG4 Lifepower battery SOC differences

Okay, on the second day charge cycle a similar problem started with the battery. It was a very cloudy day so very little charging. All off the battery SOC indicators had 1 SOC light except that battery still had 4. The battery bank voltage was 50.4 percent. Since this is an average I knew the one showing 4 lights was skewing the results so the other batteries were lower. So I was looking at Watchpower to see what the switch to grid setting was. It was at 46v which is the default. Then the lights went out. Both 6500's went to alarm and all of the batteries had blinking fault lights except that one battery which had a solid red light. To me, I don't see how any SOC algorithm should indicate 4 bars when the overall voltage is low.

So, I am sticking to faulty BMS.

I've wondered what would happen if the battery and AIO are communicating, and one or more batteries in a bank hits low voltage. Do the others batteries shut off due to low voltage leaving the last one supplying all the current, does the last remaining battery try and supply all the current and becomes overwhelmed thereby shutting off, or they all shut down leaving the AIO with nothing?

But yeah, the bms could be faulty.

So, still leaks.....
Try a road bike with 700c tires at 125psi, you have to top them off every time you ride. If I'm not mistaken the pressure loss is due to a combination of diffusion AND solubility of gas in the butyl rubber, in particular the CO2 fraction (assuming you are inflating with atmospheric air, or CO2 cartridges in which case your tires go flat faster).

At any rate, to sunshine's point it's a feature not a defect.

OK, time for me to jump in.

I am having a similar issue and can follow advice/direction.

I have 4 x EG4-LL (v1) batteries. 3 bought at the same time, one a few month later. It is this later one that reports different state of charge than the others.

I have an MPP Solar LVX6048.

The EG4-LL (v1) manual states bulk/absorption 57.5v and float 56.5v. I have set the invert setting 17 & 18 respectively to these voltages.
Setting 21, stop charging or back to battery voltage per SA, has been set to 58v

The batteries go into standby mode before before reaching any of those numbers, even when setting the 1, output source priority is set to SUB to prevent switching from grid to battery output. No solar is being used. Batteries are charged via AC input on the inverter.

I have the batteries hooked up to solar assistant with this kludge from their website. Battery Comms are also connected.
I have tried the suggested fix in this thread previously without success. I may not have left things long enough however.

eg4_top-fd8fb46be209d867f8f401dd02c9babb.png

Would disconnecting all battery comms help? I will leave all batteries connected, and remove all comms. I can still view the total voltage of the 4 combined packs with the connected Victron Smart Shunt.

I think I will try anyway, but would still appreciate feedback.

OK, time for me to jump in.

I am having a similar issue and can follow advice/direction.

I have 4 x EG4-LL (v1) batteries. 3 bought at the same time, one a few month later. It is this later one that reports different state of charge than the others.

I have an MPP Solar LVX6048.

The EG4-LL (v1) manual states bulk/absorption 57.5v and float 56.5v. I have set the invert setting 17 & 18 respectively to these voltages.
Setting 21, stop charging or back to battery voltage per SA, has been set to 58v

The batteries go into standby mode before before reaching any of those numbers, even when setting the 1, output source priority is set to SUB to prevent switching from grid to battery output. No solar is being used. Batteries are charged via AC input on the inverter.

I have the batteries hooked up to solar assistant with this kludge from their website. Battery Comms are also connected.
I have tried the suggested fix in this thread previously without success. I may not have left things long enough however.

View attachment 145966

Would disconnecting all battery comms help? I will leave all batteries connected, and remove all comms. I can still view the total voltage of the 4 combined packs with the connected Victron Smart Shunt.

I think I will try anyway, but would still appreciate feedback.

When Comms are enabled, absorption/float voltage settings are ignored. They are supplied by the batteries.

When Comms are enabled, absorption/float voltage settings are ignored. They are supplied by the batteries.
Thanks.

I've unplugged rs485 connections from batteries to SA, and unplugged all ethernet cables going from battery to battery.

I'll see where things stand tomorrow.

Batteries drained to 5% over night. Started charging 2ish pm today. Charging from AC input at 40a for the 4 connected battery packs. SA, when connected showed about 10a going into each battery pack.

Shunt currently shows SOC @ 45.7% at 53.4v

Thanks.

I've unplugged rs485 connections from batteries to SA, and unplugged all ethernet cables going from battery to battery.

I'll see where things stand tomorrow.

Batteries drained to 5% over night. Started charging 2ish pm today. Charging from AC input at 40a for the 4 connected battery packs. SA, when connected showed about 10a going into each battery pack.

Shunt currently shows SOC @ 45.7% at 53.4v

Document the peak voltage.

IMHO, set to utility power only, absorption to 55.2 and float to 55.1V Those are lower voltages where cells should be able to get to near 100% charge, BUT there is reduce risk of sending one cell into over-voltage protection. HOLD them there for 24 hours to give time to balance. After that try to run to the prescribed charge voltage and see if you can get higher than the prior peak.

Document the peak voltage.

IMHO, set to utility power only, absorption to 55.2 and float to 55.1V Those are lower voltages where cells should be able to get to near 100% charge, BUT there is reduce risk of sending one cell into over-voltage protection. HOLD them there for 24 hours to give time to balance. After that try to run to the prescribed charge voltage and see if you can get higher than the prior peak.
There is no pv hooked up so its already utility only, but I will take the advice and lower the voltage.

Thanks.

I dont have time to read every response above but I had similar issue to original poster. My eg4's were not reading 100% SOC, particularly 1 battery, it was constantly 10% low. Currents between them were similar. I fixed the issue by charging that battery to the maximum voltage stated in specs. The bms eventually just changed to 100%. Its like it needs to be at high enough voltage for certain time to reset. Longer term fix for me has been holding absorption voltage for longer time.

Time to resurrect this thread. The BMS on the 3rd battery is faulty. Sent emails to SS but not response yet. It has only been one day on the latest round of emails. Here is 3 screenshots taken at different times. Note that battery 3 has not changed at all in each. So, it appears the BMS was faulty and became faultier since.
Batt Ray 2023-06-08 071331.jpg

Attachments

• Batt Ray 2023-06-07 143058.jpg
    Batt Ray 2023-06-07 143058.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 13
  • Batt rays 2023-06-07 063237.jpg
    Batt rays 2023-06-07 063237.jpg
    150.6 KB · Views: 13
Time to resurrect this thread. The BMS on the 3rd battery is faulty. Sent emails to SS but not response yet. It has only been one day on the latest round of emails. Here is 3 screenshots taken at different times. Note that battery 3 has not changed at all in each. So, it appears the BMS was faulty and became faultier since.
View attachment 152170
When was the last time that you reset the battery?
Connect the BMS Test app and share the data for each battery cell and any alarm conditionsfor that battery.

When was the last time that you reset the battery?
Connect the BMS Test app and share the data for each battery cell and any alarm conditionsfor that battery.
I will connect the BMS app this weekend. I restarted the battery a few times this last week.

I don't see anything that looks abnormal. But it doesn't charge or discharge. Also, If I try to start an inverter with it, the breaker trips instead of going through the startup resister..

I had some similar issues a few weeks back. I set the float and absorb higher and after several cycles all the batteries balanced except one. I disconnected it and charged it on a separate charger. It had been sticking at something like 85%. After 5 minutes of charge it suddenly jumped to 100%. My guess is the bms but it's been working fine ever since.

Signature Solar was very responsive throughout the whole thing, by the way.

View attachment 152170
You have a connection problem with battery three. Parallel connected batteries should not show such a diverse voltage.
Could also explain your other troubles.

The batteries get charged to 100% daily. This battery has no changes. It seemed like a connection issue but I checked that. It is in a Sig Solar battery rack.

The batteries get charged to 100% daily. This battery has no changes. It seemed like a connection issue but I checked that. It is in a Sig Solar battery rack.
Ok, Next time they hit 100% SOC...please post a screen shot of the cell data for all 6 batteries.

Can you please tell me how you got these screen shots? I'm using windows 11 and this is the only program I've ever seen that doesn't support a screen shot by pressing the "Prt Scr" key. What is the trick?
Snipping Tool is built in

diy solar

diy solar
Back