diy solar

diy solar

EG4-LifePower4 batteries - Are these bad?

Curious of your results after getting them to the same SOC? Any news since mid-July?

I was able to get the batteries to stop tripping under load with this firmware. ?EG4?

But the inverter still trips (fault 04) when running from battery/solar and starting the 2 ton AC. Even though the batteries no longer trip or alarm. Unsurprisingly, it has no issue in bypass/utility mode.
I wonder if there is any firmware or calibration to be had from Growatt to assist?

The Growatt 12K, a low-frequency inverter with a large transformer, was the supposed to be able to start inductive loads with its 36KW surge rating.

I was able to get the batteries to stop tripping under load with this firmware. ?EG4?

But the inverter still trips (fault 04) when running from battery/solar and starting the 2 ton AC. Even though the batteries no longer trip or alarm. Unsurprisingly, it has no issue in bypass/utility mode.
I wonder if there is any firmware or calibration to be had from Growatt to assist?

The Growatt 12K, a low-frequency inverter with a large transformer, was the supposed to be able to start inductive loads with its 36KW surge rating.
I have the Growatt 12k and 4 Lifepower4 batteries. When I attempted to start up my 4-ton HVAC (with soft starter), the Growatt threw an 04 error. Inrush is about 63A @240VAC. I changed setting 5 from Li to USE and the error stopped. I'm guessing the voltage sag during the inrush causes the error when the inverter is communicating with the batteries.

I have the Growatt 12k and 4 Lifepower4 batteries. When I attempted to start up my 4-ton HVAC (with soft starter), the Growatt threw an 04 error. Inrush is about 63A @240VAC. I changed setting 5 from Li to USE and the error stopped. I'm guessing the voltage sag during the inrush causes the error when the inverter is communicating with the batteries.
Thanks for the tip. What's the impact on battery health / cell balance without BMS comm?

You can set your own parameters. I set program 1 to SBU, program 12 to 46V and program 13 to 54V and it seems to work fine. Programs 19, 20 and 21 are set to 55.2, 54.0 and 45.0 respectively. I run the BMS_Test software to keep an eye on individual battery and cell voltages. I also purchased the Chargeverter to be able to recharge the batteries while the inverter is powering the loads. It also seems to reduce the voltage sag when the compressor turns on. My system is for emergency backup only and my Honda generator couldn't start the HVAC unit, so now it has been delegated to recharge duty only.

Last edited:
Well, I tried your settings and no dice. :(

But thank you anyways.

What exactly does 04 mean? Is it battery voltage too low, output voltage too low, or something else? If I added 2 more LifePower4 batteries would that solve the issue, or is it inverter centric?

Yes, it's low battery voltage. Most likely due to sag. Getting more batteries could help. I have the Chargeverter connected when I'm running the HVAC, so it probably keeps the voltage sag to a minimum. The 15kW compressor surge is about a 300A draw on the 4 batteries which is pretty large.

Sorry to piggy back

I have a 24v 200AH lifepower4 that has state of health at 48.9AH!

This battery is only used for 10 months.

I sent an email to signature solar tech support with no response after the initial "we got your message and forwarded it to the appropriate department" one.

see attachment

Attachments

• 20230416_230623 EG4 24V Lifepower4 battery with bad state of health.jpg
    20230416_230623 EG4 24V Lifepower4 battery with bad state of health.jpg
    225.5 KB · Views: 19
  • 20230416_230602 Full_Bat_Cap reading 48.90 AH.jpg
    20230416_230602 Full_Bat_Cap reading 48.90 AH.jpg
    294.4 KB · Views: 19
Sorry to piggy back

I sent an email to signature solar tech support with no response after the initial "we got your message and forwarded it to the appropriate department" one.

see attachment
You should probably start your own thread.

Have you cycled this battery to HVD and LVD recently?

Sorry to piggy back

see attachment
Can you send me a PM with your email? I'll get you taken care of.

You should probably start your own thread.

Have you cycled this battery to HVD and LVD recently?
LVD maybe 4 to 8 weeks ago; that is my inverter only kicks on grid charger when batteries reach 21V. But I think I may have drained them all to LVD before I had the grid charger option connected weeks before that. So the battery has been in use after that and I didn't look at the health via software until a week ago.

Typically these server rack batteries will do a "calibrate" of the capacity and reset state of charge when you go all the way down to LVD and then back up to HVD. Doing just 1 or the other won't change anything.

It's worth a shot to see if everything goes back to how it should.

Typically these server rack batteries will do a "calibrate" of the capacity and reset state of charge when you go all the way down to LVD and then back up to HVD. Doing just 1 or the other won't change anything.

It's worth a shot to see if everything goes back to how it should.
I was told by Ty with Signature Solar (via email thanks to Peyton) to do the following procedure:

Battery SOH Decline Issues - Forum

Ty Modesitt
Fri, Apr 28, 2023 at 8:45 AM​
Hello Matt,

Peyton informed me that you're having an issue with your EG4 Lifepower4 battery.
I would like to perform a recalibration on your battery to see if this resolves the issue or not.

Please read through all these instructions first to assure you feel comfortable doing this, if you prefer to go over this over the phone let me know.

You will need to do the following step FIRST:
  1. Pull the battery with the issue out of the bank and isolate it. Charge it with your battery charger. If you don't have a charger, you can charge it to "full" with the bank and pull it out afterwards.
Interface with BMS test do the following process:
  1. Make sure your battery is on master dip switch settings (All down)
  2. After pulling up battery data on Batinfo take note of the Full_batt_Cap(Ah). Record this number as you will need it.
  3. At the top of BMS Test you will see Calibration data, click that tab and type in this password: qthn666666
  4. Change the target adr to 0 on the right side of the password box.
  5. Then you will change the parameters of the battery to the following, please be sure to type in these numbers even if the numbers are already in that box:
  • Full Capacity: 100000 and click write
  • Remain Capacity: this number is the Full_batt_Cap(Ah) written with an extra zero and no decimals. (E.g. 98.30 would become 98300). Type this in and click write
  • Nominal Capacity: 100000 and click write
  1. After these steps go ahead and turn the battery off and back on, then with a small item hit the reset button on the front of the battery. This should reset the BMS.
  2. Use BMS Test to interface with a battery once again and send me pictures of the right hand side where it says full batcap and remain batcap as these numbers should now read 100.
Please let me know if the issue persists after performing these changes or if you have any problems during the process.

Thank you for your time and patience through this process!

--
Ty Modesitt
Signature Solar LLC
1130 Como St South
Sulphur Springs, TX 75482
903-441-2090

They told you a way to force the Capacity to read 100ah, its not a "Recalibration" because you are telling it a capacity. It will make work, but if the battery has actually low capacity, then you are just lying to the BMS, and it will still be incorrect.

I would still recommend doing a full HVD to LVD cycle for it to calibrate the capacity itself. But I understand wanting to follow the manufacturer's directions as well, if you wish to do that.

I will also add, the 100ah Trophy Battery that I purchased for my trailer, when I cycle from HVD to LVD has recalibrated and currently shows 113ah. If yours is also high on capacity, then you will be limiting yourself to 100ah.

Back