diy solar

diy solar

EG4 new AIO rated 12K output and 18kPV aka "EG4-18Kpv-12LV"

You're both right - I spaced on that one for some reason. Edited my original post for anyone coming along later. Thanks.

If there's a way to get this done with 8" I might have to reconsider my 12". Even more than the cost difference 8" would just fit so much better in my situation. @Gavin Stone , got any good images of yours with the raceway? I can just barely see it in your video.

You're both right - I spaced on that one for some reason. Edited my original post for anyone coming along later. Thanks.

If there's a way to get this done with 8" I might have to reconsider my 12". Even more than the cost difference 8" would just fit so much better in my situation. @Gavin Stone , got any good images of yours with the raceway? I can just barely see it in your video.
Yeah that’s another thing I thought about after the video. I’ll snap some photos when I get home and send them. I try to add lots of detail. But then it starts to just sound like rambling sometimes.

I also don’t see the fact that it’s designed to work with an 8” raceway in the manual online. But i believe it does in my hard copy.

Yeah that’s another thing I thought about after the video. I’ll snap some photos when I get home and send them. I try to add lots of detail. But then it starts to just sound like rambling sometimes.

I also don’t see the fact that it’s designed to work with an 8” raceway in the manual online. But i believe it does in my hard copy.
You're right, there is more in the print manual. I didn't even open it because I've been all through the online one and prefer digital format. Though I do know they updated the online one at some point as well.

I'm also 90% sure all of the images for the mounting bracket are upside down in the manual, @Gavin Stone you probably know this. You were holding it the way the manual was in the first part of the video.

I would have been so much more prepared if I just had this page out of the print manual:
2023-05-21 11.31.54.jpg

You're right, there is more in the print manual. I didn't even open it because I've been all through the online one and prefer digital format. Though I do know they updated the online one at some point as well.

I'm also 90% sure all of the images for the mounting bracket are upside down in the manual, @Gavin Stone you probably know this. You were holding it the way the manual was in the first part of the video.

I would have been so much more prepared if I just had this page out of the print manual:
View attachment 150034
I knew It had that in there somewhere, I thought I was going crazy for a second. I prefer paper of digital when it comes to directions. Just preference thing I guess.

The bracket has an arrow on it. The arrow points upwards. The side with the two ears goes up. Did they have that backwards somewhere?

I knew It had that in there somewhere, I thought I was going crazy for a second. I prefer paper of digital when it comes to directions. Just preference thing I guess.

The bracket has an arrow on it. The arrow points upwards. The side with the two ears goes up. Did they have that backwards somewhere?
Looks like I'm just wrong about everything today. I imagined the bracket only curled up into the inverter, if I can explain this in a way that makes sense hopefully, that only half of the U shape was in the bracket in my mind.

Instead, the entire "upside down U" goes into the inverter.

Nice. *it's all coming together meme*

Looks like I'm just wrong about everything today. I imagined the bracket only curled up into the inverter, if I can explain this in a way that makes sense hopefully, that only half of the U shape was in the bracket in my mind.

Instead, the entire "upside down U" goes into the inverter.

Nice. *it's all coming together meme*
When I first saw the bracket I thought something similar. Instead those “ears” fit into the pockets on the back of the inverter. It actually fits really snug. It’s a nice design. Since they are rounded off it helps them slide in easier.

Maybe make a separate thread and I can post those pictured to it later today? I dunno if we have strayed to far off the topic. Or it may be on topic. ??‍♂️

12V 1A means it should be able to power the TIGO CCA and TAP I believe, no one quote me on that. Nice.

So is it some sort of powered 12v relay to signal everything is powered on and working? Under what conditions does it turn off?
Again no one quote me on this, but I think the perfect usage is something like the TIGO CCA/TAP (or possibly other microinverter connection hub of which I am less familiar) so that any rapid shutdown is disabled (active generating mode) when everything is on and active.

I don't have this confirmed certainly and I'll come back and edit this if I find out otherwise, but I believe it would shut down when you close the rapid shutdown terminals which would be wired to a switch outside the house.

So between that switch for rapid shutdown, and an isolation switch you have a full safety setup as per what's required currently in my area.

I hope they get more details for this in the manual. There's a little bit right now in 6.2 Rapid Shutdown (RSD)

So is it some sort of powered 12v relay to signal everything is powered on and working? Under what conditions does it turn off?
This 12V was specifically designed to power the Tigo module, so when customers use the Tigo RSD, they don't need to buy an additional power supply. The 12V power supply is always available. Since it's always there, nothing to do with the relay control.

I am going to be following with great interest. I'm grandfathered (1 to 1 net metering) until 02-2028.

Currently running MPP LVX6048 for critical loads panel/battery backup. Would be able to get rid of the critical loads panel with this.

So far this thing is ticking all the boxes to replace my (grid tied) SMA Sunny Boy 7.7. My 28 panels have Tigo TS4-R-O optimizers, a Tigo CCA an 2 x Taps

I am going to be following with great interest. I'm grandfathered (1 to 1 net metering) until 02-2028.

Currently running MPP LVX6048 for critical loads panel/battery backup. Would be able to get rid of the critical loads panel with this.

So far this thing is ticking all the boxes to replace my (grid tied) SMA Sunny Boy 7.7. My 28 panels have Tigo TS4-R-O optimizers, a Tigo CCA an 2 x Taps
Your current grid tied setup is almost identical to mine. Currently 32 400w panels, 12 with the tigo optimizers, SB 7.7
One of the best things about the 18kpv is it still retained the 600v VOC like the SB, most others dont. I would have had to reconfigured my strings a bit.

I now have all 3 strings on the 18kpv and ran all day yesterday. Have it set up to try to pull nothing off the grid. Up until 10:19 on this graph I was charging the battery before exporting but then changed it to export first and use the solar over what I am allowed to export to charge.

Not sure what the spikes were in PV around 14:00, my panels can't output that much and I think that's a bit much for cloud edge?

1684941354763.png

Your current grid tied setup is almost identical to mine. Currently 32 400w panels, 12 with the tigo optimizers, SB 7.7
One of the best things about the 18kpv is it still retained the 600v VOC like the SB, most others dont. I would have had to reconfigured my strings a bit.

I now have all 3 strings on the 18kpv and ran all day yesterday. Have it set up to try to pull nothing off the grid. Up until 10:19 on this graph I was charging the battery before exporting but then changed it to export first and use the solar over what I am allowed to export to charge.

Not sure what the spikes were in PV around 14:00, my panels can't output that much and I think that's a bit much for cloud edge?

View attachment 150397
Something that might be easier for you to test with your setup. How efficient the unit is at zero export. Toggling on and off large loads to see if there is some bleed off to the grid.

Something that might be easier for you to test with your setup. How efficient the unit is at zero export. Toggling on and off large loads to see if there is some bleed off to the grid.
I have not yet tested zero export, but I certainly have tested export limits and have seen what it does when attempting to zero out usage from the grid using the batteries. There's definitely over and undershoot. This doesn't surprise me though, Since it's having to react to the CT and massive swings in draw. When charging the batteries with excess solar over my export setting, it gets particularly varied.

Again, I don't think this is a problem, though I'm sure it is something that could be improved upon through software updates.

I have not yet tested what happens when you check the zero export checkbox. I suspect it will correctly never export, but to do so will err on the side of importing more. I can test that later today.

I have not yet tested zero export, but I certainly have tested export limits and have seen what it does when attempting to zero out usage from the grid using the batteries. There's definitely over and undershoot. This doesn't surprise me though, Since it's having to react to the CT and massive swings in draw. When charging the batteries with excess solar over my export setting, it gets particularly varied.

Again, I don't think this is a problem, though I'm sure it is something that could be improved upon through software updates.

I have not yet tested what happens when you check the zero export checkbox. I suspect it will correctly never export, but to do so will err on the side of importing more. I can test that later today.

Very interested in this zero export test as I’m not allowed to export at all but want to power as much as the consumption I can from PV/Battery knowing I’ll always need grid in some capacity.

my sunsynks (and deye's i've tested) respond the same way, always a fraction "late" on both draw and feed , but as you said they need time to react to the meter/ct
mine do seem to make that up though.. kind of hard to explain, but when they were late with a load comming on, they , for a moment, send back more than the actual load, keeping the sum therefor zero

my sunsynks (and deye's i've tested) respond the same way, always a fraction "late" on both draw and feed , but as you said they need time to react to the meter/ct
mine do seem to make that up though.. kind of hard to explain, but when they were late with a load comming on, they , for a moment, send back more than the actual load, keeping the sum therefor zero
Yes that's what I've experienced as well. It averages out to 0.

What I'm more curious of, and am currently semi-testing is what happens when you try to tell it to never backfeed anything, the so called "Fast Zero Export"

diy solar

diy solar
Back