diy solar

diy solar

EG4 read/write cable

Thank you so much for your time in attempting to help me, But this is the RS485 USB Battery Communication Cable configuration. What I am looking for is the "Read/Write" cable configuration for flashing the BMS on the EG4 Batteries.

Thank you again

Pin-Out wire colors for RJ-45 connector & Dongle.
RJ-45 Pin #7- White/Brown wire to D+ on Dongle Terminal A
RJ-45 Pin #8- Brown wire to D- on Dongle Terminal B
Thank you so much for your time in attempting to help me, But this is the RS485 USB Battery Communication Cable configuration. What I am looking for is the "Read/Write cable" configuration for flashing the BMS on the EG4 Batteries.

signaturesolar.com

EG4-LifePower4 Read/Write Cable

Signature Solar provides solar panels & components and full kits for off-grid, grid-tie and custom diy solar systems. Providing Solar 101 and hands on experience within the solar industry. Quality inverters, bifacial solar panels, complete solar kits, solar batteries. Holding best in class...
signaturesolar.com
signaturesolar.com

Thank you again

I think this cable pin out will do both...
Have you spoken with the tech help at Signature Solar?
If so what did they say?
Just got a reply today so Here is what he said:

"The communication cable is pinned on pins 1 and 2, where as the read/write cable is pinned on pins 7 and 8"

But i think he has that backwards as per the page you sent in the owners manuel. Either way it is opposite end of the RJ45 connecter from the one that came pakaged with the battery that allows you to watch the BMS software.
Thank you for your help.

PS I am gonna make up a cable and flash my BMS to the updated firmware and I will come back update.

Yes sir that is correct!
So I should use pins 7 and 8 for communication with solar assistant? And i think i need to set the first battery to PIN 2 and the rest increment from there. And just plug into the #2 battery. This all look correct? Then i would need a different cable with pins 1 and 2 to flash firmware, right?

Last edited:
My cable had the pins 7&8 pinned, I changed it to pins 1&2 like your picture. Would not work for flashing the battery. I then tried the BMS tool and it was communicating correctly reading the battery data. Any ideas ? I was able to flash the EG4 inverters ok with a different cable. Flashing this battery is turning out to be a giant pain.
This proves that pins 1& 2 work for battery communications. Therefore it would seem pins 7 & 8 are used for read / write.
Going back to pins 7&8 again for another try.

Last edited:
My cable had the pins 7&8 pinned, I changed it to pins 1&2 like your picture. Would not work for flashing the battery. I then tried the BMS tool and it was communicating correctly reading the battery data. Any ideas ? I was able to flash the EG4 inverters ok with a different cable. Flashing this battery is turning out to be a giant pain.
I tried my updated cable with pins 7&8 pinned. No luck. I even tried swapping 7&8 still no luck. I'm out of ideas. Wasted a lot of time on something that should be simple.

Pick your model
Mine is EG4-LL
Latest update has a pinout for CAN and RS485
View attachment 149463
I can verify this is the correct settings. I messed around with this for 2 days following guides from Signature and they were all wrong OR updated for their newer V2 batteries that can stack 64 in a chain. It is a standard pass through cable wire pairing B. Not a cross over like was suggested from Signature solar.

Question, the cable that shipped with my EG4 LifePower4 batteries recently in June of 2023 doesn't look like the yellow cable up above? I'm wondering if the cable that was included is this cable, but updated to look sleeker.

Question, the cable that shipped with my EG4 LifePower4 batteries recently in June of 2023 doesn't look like the yellow cable up above? I'm wondering if the cable that was included is this cable, but updated to look sleeker.

Could anyone comment on which cable to order if looking for an additional cable the same as the one included with the EG4 LifePower4 batteries?

Back