diy solar

diy solar

EG4 vs EG4 LL

Texican

Solar Enthusiast
planning to get 3-4 batteries from signature. I live right down the road from them.
I have 10kw grid tied now and want to add a separate system for some off grid capability.
is the eg4 LL worth the extra 250 per battery over the eg4 standard ? it has a longer warranty, what ever thats worth and the led display. I dont know much about these batteries and wonder if I should get the more expensive ones
thanks

I have an Eg4LL and it's pretty well made and has delivered the capacity that was promised but I have had three cells that go above the normal 3.65V limit of LifePO4 and this has me worried. I was told by Signature Solar that they warranty the Capacity not the cell voltage so I am out of lucjk and this makes me not so confident that the 10 year warranty is worth much.
The Display is probably worth some extra bucks as it makes seeing what is going on easier. Is it worth $250 I would say no. I spent the extra money mostly based on the extra 5 years of Warranty and that is not looking good right now. If I had known the SOK battery was coming out for the same price I would have waited.

tha.nks Robby, just looked up that SOK battery, not in stock and 1740 plus shipping. I can get the standard eg4 for 1500 and free pickup. so will probably hope that works out.

It would be worth it to me to get the 2x warranty and the LCD. Plus you get 2x terminals and the breaker isn't in the way if you are stacking and cabling the packs together.

It would be worth it to me to get the 2x warranty and the LCD. Plus you get 2x terminals and the breaker isn't in the way if you are stacking and cabling the packs together.
Would it still be worth it if you realized that you really don’t have any warranty?

I would recommend the basic EG4. The newer ones are the subject of much discussion about the precharge circuitry which is wonky with a few specific setups.

Confirm that the basic one doesn’t have the precharge nonsense and save some money.

You will have to buy a $2 resistor and do your own precharge once but your savings will cover that. ?

I’m very happy with the old EG4 in use 24/7 for over a year now.

See here if you have any interest :

tha.nks Robby, just looked up that SOK battery, not in stock and 1740 plus shipping. I can get the standard eg4 for 1500 and free pickup. so will probably hope that works out.
You are not comparing apples to apples there. The SOK is is equivalent to the EG4 LL, not the EG4 (base), and the price difference between an SOK server rack battery and the EG4 LL is $30

Back