diy solar

diy solar

EG6000XP and Wired dongle

jsmithtx

Two questions for the EG4 folks (@EG4_Jarrett or @Markus_EG4 ):

1) Is it possible to "local connect" via the app to the inverter using the *wired* dongle?

2) Could you PM (or place here) a link to the "api" documentation for this inverter? It is on a wired network and I have its IP address, I'd like to write a program to get its data via its api (ie, using same "api" as local connect). Thanks! I found the MODBUS definition with some comments in the configuration about interval for querying data. What I need is the docs around how to query the inverter via the *wired* dongle. What port and tcp request to send?

Last edited:
Yes you can local connect and here is the modbus
Hi @Markus_EG4 , I attempted several connections with the wired dongle with no success. When I did a port scan on the device, *nothing* is open (unlike the wireless dongle). Does it happen to need something open to enable this feature? Thanks!

Happy to PM my serial if you want to take a look.

1) Is it possible to "local connect" via the app to the inverter using the *wired* dongle?

Confirmed with Marcus that the WLAN adapter does NOT support Local connect and thus cannot retrieve data via the dongle (ie, push to cloud only).

Confirmed with Marcus that the WLAN adapter does NOT support Local connect and thus cannot retrieve data via the dongle (ie, push to cloud only).
@EG4_Jared Can you check with your engineering teams to see if this can be solved? I mean maybe the WiFi and Ethernet dongles were built by different companies and repurposed to your use in the inverter (looks like the only inverter I/O is RS485 and power/ground), but surely there's a firmware update that would enable the Local Connect port on the Ethernet dongle instead of making us jump through hoops to connect to separate hardware interfaces... In my case it means the SA box has to move from my office to the shed where the inverters are, and that's <ahem> suboptimal for the poor little Pi...

@EG4_Jared Can you check with your engineering teams to see if this can be solved? I mean maybe the WiFi and Ethernet dongles were built by different companies and repurposed to your use in the inverter (looks like the only inverter I/O is RS485 and power/ground), but surely there's a firmware update that would enable the Local Connect port on the Ethernet dongle instead of making us jump through hoops to connect to separate hardware interfaces... In my case it means the SA box has to move from my office to the shed where the inverters are, and that's <ahem> suboptimal for the poor little Pi...

I will see what I can find out.

Back