diy solar

diy solar

New 6000XP working great, except for dongle communications. The blinking led is driving me crazy.

JimGSolar

Received my 6000XP, connected to panels and Lifepower batteries, off grid, no generator. I updated the firmware on the batteries, now 6000XP communicates properly with battery and it is on the Lithium setting. All good except for the dongle communication. I've gone thru the setup as I understand it, many times, but still have only a blinking green led to show for my effort. I didnt find the manual to be overly specific in this setup, but eventually after reading this (below) from another post on this forum, I feel that I am doing everything I can.

{Install the EG4 Monitor app on your phone.
{Once installed, go to you WiFI settings on you phone, you should see a SSID from the dongle (Dongle serial number). Select that network.
{Then open the EG4 Monitor app. Select Dongle Connect.
{Once connected, wait until your home WiFi network shows up as a selectable option under HomeWiFi. It your home WiFI doesn't show up, be patient, it took {mine a while. Once selected, enter your home WiFi passord.
{The dongle should now reboot and connect to your home WiFI network.
{Reconnect your phone back to your home Wifi.

My dongle never reboots and never stops the blanking blinking.

I have a help request into SS, but apparently, I have to call them. So, I'll do that Monday morning. After that support I will report back here with what resolved my issues.

If anyone has any tricks that you can share, I'd gladly buy the beer, so to speak. Thanks in advance.

Is your home router using 2.4g and 5g converged on single SSID? Try splitting the networks on the main router so the 2.4g and 5g each have their own SSID.

Are you using WPA2 encryption?

What samsonite801 is talking about is going into the wifi router and setting a unique name for each section of the wifi. It should be divided up as 2.4 and 5g.

Lets say you wifi is named Fred.

Set the 2.4 part to Fred2.4 and leave the 5g section as Fred.

Now when your setting up the dongle pick Fred2.4 as what you want it to connect to.

These cheap wifi dongles they ship out these days only do 2.4 and if both are named the same it messes up.

Aren't there also issues with long SSIDs and certain characters? I swear I read that in a post recently.
I'd simplify the SSID name if the above doesn't help.

Is your home router using 2.4g and 5g converged on single SSID? Try splitting the networks on the main router so the 2.4g and 5g each have their own SSID.

Are you using WPA2 encryption?
I can see my security says WPA/WPA2-Personal. I have no idea what this means.

I have no idea how to split my router, if it is 2.4g and 5g. Sorry, Im not a network guy. Thanks for trying though.

UPDATE I'm on phone with my IT help, they tell me the router I have can't be split, so a new one is on the way to me. I will proceed down this path before I call SS. Have a feeling your advice is correct THANK YOU Samsonite and Crowz.

Last edited:
Received my 6000XP, connected to panels and Lifepower batteries, off grid, no generator. I updated the firmware on the batteries, now 6000XP communicates properly with battery and it is on the Lithium setting. All good except for the dongle communication. I've gone thru the setup as I understand it, many times, but still have only a blinking green led to show for my effort. I didnt find the manual to be overly specific in this setup, but eventually after reading this (below) from another post on this forum, I feel that I am doing everything I can.

{Install the EG4 Monitor app on your phone.
{Once installed, go to you WiFI settings on you phone, you should see a SSID from the dongle (Dongle serial number). Select that network.
{Then open the EG4 Monitor app. Select Dongle Connect.
{Once connected, wait until your home WiFi network shows up as a selectable option under HomeWiFi. It your home WiFI doesn't show up, be patient, it took {mine a while. Once selected, enter your home WiFi passord.
{The dongle should now reboot and connect to your home WiFI network.
{Reconnect your phone back to your home Wifi.

My dongle never reboots and never stops the blanking blinking.

I have a help request into SS, but apparently, I have to call them. So, I'll do that Monday morning. After that support I will report back here with what resolved my issues.

If anyone has any tricks that you can share, I'd gladly buy the beer, so to speak. Thanks in advance.
Cover blinking light with tape.... sorted...

I can see my security says WPA/WPA2-Personal. I have no idea what this means.

I have no idea how to split my router, if it is 2.4g and 5g. Sorry, Im not a network guy. Thanks for trying though.

UPDATE I'm on phone with my IT help, they tell me the router I have can't be split, so a new one is on the way to me. I will proceed down this path before I call SS. Have a feeling your advice is correct THANK YOU Samsonite and Crowz.
Jim, did you know you can connect to the dongle with bluetooth in the mean time? You can see a lot more than on the display and make all needed changes.

Can you log into your routes web interface using the same credentials that you are setting for the EG4 App on your phone? If not then you need to use the same credentials that work for web access to the router (from a computer using a web browser).

Once logged into the router you should be able to see what wireless networks the router supports: 2.4GHz and/or 5GHz.
Most routers that support 5GHz also support 2.4Ghz, those that only support 2.4GHz do not support 5GHz and I do not believe I have ever come across a 5GHz router that did not also support 2.4GHz.

Also, does the dongle have a QR code on it. If so scan it instread ot tge one in the maual as it may download a different app.

I have ever come across a 5GHz router that did not also support 2.4GHz.
This is true but a lot of the new routers only have one SSID and decide what feed to give a device. My guess is the OP is using a 2.4/5ghz bridged SSID and the dongle cant grab the 2.4 because it cant see it.

Also, for the rest of you guys (and gals) out there, is the EG4 6000XP a clone of something else and does that "something else" have software that runs on a computer. If so, (can you provide) generally two of the pins on the port that the the Wifi dongle plugs into are an RS485 bus (two others will be 5vdc and ground for power to the dongle) and can therefore talk to a computer with the correct cable or RS485 to USB converter and hopefully to the software the "something else" software.

A starting point for those of you who use Solar Assistant to monitor your EG4 6000XP, what "Model" do you have selected on the Configuration tab for the inverter. This might indicate the master of the clone and possibly the software and/or protocol used for communications.

Also, for the rest of you guys (and gals) out there, is the EG4 6000XP a clone of something else and does that "something else" have software that runs on a computer. If so, (can you provide) generally two of the pins on the port that the the Wifi dongle plugs into are an RS485 bus (two others will be 5vdc and ground for power to the dongle) and can therefore talk to a computer with the correct cable or RS485 to USB converter and hopefully to the software the "something else" software.
It is almost a clone of a luxpower model but it IS different. Not sure what model or what different tho, sorry.
what "Model" do you have selected on the Configuration tab
I am using

Luxpower Hybrid with the beta config

Aren't there also issues with long SSIDs and certain characters? I swear I read that in a post recently.
I'd simplify the SSID name if the above doesn't help.
Yes, I was recently working with a customer that had an apostrophe in his SSID and the dongle would not connect.

I can confirm that it definitely needs to be 2.4ghz and if your router isn't dual band then I can see that being an issue. What router are you using? I want to try and help you figure this out. If you can DM me, we can work on getting this fixed. DM me the S/N and PIN on the side of the dongle, and what the make and model router you are using is. We can set up a time where I can walk you through the process if you'd like as well.

Back