diy solar

diy solar

New 6000XP working great, except for dongle communications. The blinking led is driving me crazy.

Thank you for that offer Jarrett ! In a few days I'll have a new dual band router set up with individual 2.4 and 5g bands. Then I'll try everything again and if it still doesn't work il will get back to you.

Sorry, I somehow have two user ideas names for this forum. I am the OP, JimGsolar. I'll get that ironed out today.

Followup. Indeed, the recommendations of the router needing to be 2.4GHz were correct. I obtained a new router, installed it split 2.4/5, chose the 2.4 for the dongle, and everything works. Thanks to all for these pointers and offers of help.

Followup. Indeed, the recommendations of the router needing to be 2.4GHz were correct. I obtained a new router, installed it split 2.4/5, chose the 2.4 for the dongle, and everything works. Thanks to all for these pointers and offers of help.
Thats awesome! I'm sorry that it didn't work with your other router, but glad that you were able to get it up and running and that you got a solution to your problem!

I am having trouble getting my EG4 6000XP connected to my home wireless, exactly as described in the first post. Has anyone been able to connect to a network that's running both 2.4GHz / 5GHz on the same SSID? Additionally, I have multiple APs in a cluster and the app is showing the same SSID multiple times as a result. It is ridiculous to suggest/require splitting the 2.4GHz and 5GHz radios to separate SSIDs.

@EG4_Jarrett Any reports of spaces in the SSID posing a problem?

Last edited:
Yes, I was recently working with a customer that had an apostrophe in his SSID and the dongle would not connect.

I can confirm that it definitely needs to be 2.4ghz and if your router isn't dual band then I can see that being an issue. What router are you using? I want to try and help you figure this out. If you can DM me, we can work on getting this fixed. DM me the S/N and PIN on the side of the dongle, and what the make and model router you are using is. We can set up a time where I can walk you through the process if you'd like as well.
I had the same problem setting up the dongle. My network uses a MESH from TP-Link that is known as DECA that supports both 2.4G and 5G automatically. As a work around, I configured another SSID (garage24G) on my router that only supports 2.4G. The dongle worked perfectly with this new configuration. I won't be able to use the SSID that my MESH uses for my whole house network. I don't mind having a special SSID just for my EG4 XP6000, I am just glad it works.

Just to follow up regarding my post above, Current Connected told me that you do NOT need to separate 2.4GHz and 5GHz. I did some further troubleshooting and found that it will not connect if you have certain special characters in your wireless password. When I removed the special characters, I was able to connect perfectly fine without splitting the bands out. I have it narrowed down to 4 possibilities, but don't know specifically which one it was. Also, another thing to check if you're running 2.4GHz and 5GHz on the same SSID (which you SHOULD be) is to make sure you have band steering disabled.

Yes, I was recently working with a customer that had an apostrophe in his SSID and the dongle would not connect.

I can confirm that it definitely needs to be 2.4ghz and if your router isn't dual band then I can see that being an issue. What router are you using? I want to try and help you figure this out. If you can DM me, we can work on getting this fixed. DM me the S/N and PIN on the side of the dongle, and what the make and model router you are using is. We can set up a time where I can walk you through the process if you'd like as well.
But isn't the dongle just trying to find the EG4 server, which should not have anything to do with your router at that point??

Received my 6000XP, connected to panels and Lifepower batteries, off grid, no generator. I updated the firmware on the batteries, now 6000XP communicates properly with battery and it is on the Lithium setting. All good except for the dongle communication. I've gone thru the setup as I understand it, many times, but still have only a blinking green led to show for my effort. I didnt find the manual to be overly specific in this setup, but eventually after reading this (below) from another post on this forum, I feel that I am doing everything I can.

{Install the EG4 Monitor app on your phone.
{Once installed, go to you WiFI settings on you phone, you should see a SSID from the dongle (Dongle serial number). Select that network.
{Then open the EG4 Monitor app. Select Dongle Connect.
{Once connected, wait until your home WiFi network shows up as a selectable option under HomeWiFi. It your home WiFI doesn't show up, be patient, it took {mine a while. Once selected, enter your home WiFi passord.
{The dongle should now reboot and connect to your home WiFI network.
{Reconnect your phone back to your home Wifi.

My dongle never reboots and never stops the blanking blinking.

I have a help request into SS, but apparently, I have to call them. So, I'll do that Monday morning. After that support I will report back here with what resolved my issues.

If anyone has any tricks that you can share, I'd gladly buy the beer, so to speak. Thanks in advance.
How can you do anything with the dongle if it does not connect to wifi?

How can you do anything with the dongle if it does not connect to wifi?

You can utilize the local connection on the app to view the data without Wi-Fi. However, if it not connecting, I would verify if the local router is set for WPA2 encryption for the Wi-Fi dongle.

Back