diy solar

diy solar

EG6500Ex inverter does not see the batteries

rbowman1953

I have two EG6500Ex inverters running in split phase 180. I have one of the inverters that has a 6P warning and cannot see the batteries, although the connection to the inverter has 53.4 volts. Plus both inverters are in bypass mode using the grid all the time. I spoke with signature solar tech support and they have no idea. They just want pictures and voltages. Has anyone seen this problem? PXL_20230626_161842395.jpg
Thanks in advance

I have two EG6500Ex inverters running in split phase 180. I have one of the inverters that has a 6P warning and cannot see the batteries, although the connection to the inverter has 53.4 volts. Plus both inverters are in bypass mode using the grid all the time. I spoke with signature solar tech support and they have no idea. They just want pictures and voltages. Has anyone seen this problem? View attachment 154681
Thanks in advance
Do both your inverters have option 5 set to EG4 or is one set to EG4 and one set to USE?

Both are set to user advised by signature solar
If they're both in USE mode, you shouldn't receive any battery comms errors because no communication is set up. Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the battery comm port on the display.

If they're both in USE mode, you shouldn't receive any battery comms errors because no communication is set up. Make sure you don't have anything plugged into the battery comm port on the display.
I originally had Option 5 set to EG4 on 2P1 and User on 2P2 when I got the warning and the system starting to run from the grid only. Signature solar tech support had me set it to User on both.

I would disconnect comms, solar & Batts. Firmware flash them. Set them both to USE, then reconnect the Batts first and see if that fixes the issue. My guess is they are still looking for comms and are "stuck"

I would make sure that option 5 actually did save. There's been a few instances where values don't save. I would also try power cycling the inverters. If that still doesn't work, then as @PreppenWolf stated, flash the firmware again to make sure that's not the problem.

I would disconnect comms, solar & Batts. Firmware flash them. Set them both to USE, then reconnect the Batts first and see if that fixes the issue. My guess is they are still looking for comms and are "stuck"
What is the newest version of the firmware

I would make sure that option 5 actually did save. There's been a few instances where values don't save. I would also try power cycling the inverters. If that still doesn't work, then as @PreppenWolf stated, flash the firmware again to make sure that's not the problem.
I reflashed the firmware and reconnected the batteries still in battery bypass using the grid

I also ran a BMS Test on the batteries and it seems my battery 6 is not charging. I sent sug solar a copy of the test

I have my 6500EXs set to SBU. If I don't have enough solar and they flip to batt mode, then voltage drops enough to activate grid bypass, the mode will NOT revert to battery unless the voltage reaches the upper charge set threshold that was activated, even if you try to lower it. Now the system will use Solar if it returns, but the grid bypass stays active so when the solar is gone again the inverters will NOT move to Batts, they go right back to grid bypass until the bank is charged to the upper cutoff setting.

Is there a chance this is currently happening on your system?

I would almost wonder if the fuses are blown above the positive battery terminal in the inverters. If the batteries were successfully connected, he should be seeing the battery indicator on the display.

Try this and show us what you see.
- Press the button on the upper left of the screen (to get you back to the main screen)
- Press the down arrow (right side, middle button) 10 times

You should see something like the attached picture which displays the battery voltage the inverter sees.

Attachments

• IMG_5268.jpeg
    IMG_5268.jpeg
    327.1 KB · Views: 1
I would almost wonder if the fuses are blown above the positive battery terminal in the inverters. If the batteries were successfully connected, he should be seeing the battery indicator on the display.

Try this and show us what you see.
- Press the button on the upper left of the screen (to get you back to the main screen)
- Press the down arrow (right side, middle button) 10 times

You should see something like the attached picture which displays the battery voltage the inverter sees.
Thanks I'll try that when I get home

I have my 6500EXs set to SBU. If I don't have enough solar and they flip to batt mode, then voltage drops enough to activate grid bypass, the mode will NOT revert to battery unless the voltage reaches the upper charge set threshold that was activated, even if you try to lower it. Now the system will use Solar if it returns, but the grid bypass stays active so when the solar is gone again the inverters will NOT move to Batts, they go right back to grid bypass until the bank is charged to the upper cutoff setting.

Is there a chance this is currently happening on your system?
I have one battery in the rack that is not charging. It stays at 8.9 volts. Should I try to disconnect it to see if it will cycle back to the batteries.

Attachments

• 16881508183352011243315829919693.jpg
    16881508183352011243315829919693.jpg
    143.7 KB · Views: 4
  • 16881508524791138370069446295266.jpg
    16881508524791138370069446295266.jpg
    108.3 KB · Views: 4
Back