diy solar

diy solar

EGC, and GEC conductors, what did you use?

Nan_wpg

Solar Enthusiast
I need some 6g for both. Placing an order with wireandcableyourway. Many choices.

I’m ordering THWN-2 for the array but I need 6g for the panel frames, and Mount as well as 6g to connect to my grounding rod.

There’s bare solid, bare twist, and twhn-2.

Tim I recal in another of my posts you only carry insulated as it’s always allowed. What type of wire do you keep in your truck? (Not just “grounding” wire

@timselectric

Not speaking for timselectric.

I bought AWG 6 THWN2 for grounding my panel frames (green insulation).
The insulation doesn't matter, but you have to obviously strip it off to make contact with the ground clamps (WEEB 6.7 in my case).
The green will definitely fade due to UV outside, but I didn't care.

I used solid AWG 4 for my GEC at my service entrance (per code), but that's because I had some sitting around.
No GEC at the array, this is unnecessary and not required.

Last edited:
Was gonna order 6g thwn2 for the array AND GEC. It’s not rated for direct burial but it should be ok? (Bare copper is ok so does it matter if the insulation degrades over time)

Figure I’d pick Tim’s brain and possibly do a big order of “everything”.

I need some 6g for both. Placing an order with wireandcableyourway. Many choices.

I’m ordering THWN-2 for the array but I need 6g for the panel frames, and Mount as well as 6g to connect to my grounding rod.

There’s bare solid, bare twist, and twhn-2.

Tim I recal in another of my posts you only carry insulated as it’s always allowed. What type of wire do you keep in your truck? (Not just “grounding” wire

@timselectric
THHN/THWN-2 insulated/copper.
Not sure what size circuits you are going to have for your PV array/s. But #6 seems large for an array GEC. (With today's high voltage systems)

THHN/THWN-2 insulated/copper.
Not sure what size circuits you are going to have for your PV array/s. But #6 seems large for an array GEC. (With today's high voltage systems)

I’m using 10g for the array + and - and EGC. I need 6g for the portion of EGC that is exposed (outside of the conduit).

I’ll order enough of it to use for my grounding rods (if ok). I know you don’t like bare copper.

Bare copper is ok
It is allowed. But requires extra care during installation. The copper can not come into contact with the aluminum frames. (Galvanic corrosion) and you want to avoid any inadvertent contact with earth. (To avoid any gradient pulse damage)
does it matter if the insulation degrades over time
It won't degrade unless exposed to sunlight.
It should be under the panels or inside conduit. And last for a very long time.

I’m using 10g for the array + and - and EGC. I need 6g for the portion of EGC that is exposed (outside of the conduit).

I’ll order enough of it to use for my grounding rods (if ok). I know you don’t like bare copper.
Yes, that's perfectly fine.
I don't hate bare copper. But it has its place.
It's just more trouble for most situations.

It is allowed. But requires extra care during installation. The copper can not come into contact with the aluminum frames. (Galvanic corrosion) and you want to avoid any inadvertent contact with earth. (To avoid any gradient pulse damage)

It won't degrade unless exposed to sunlight.
It should be under the panels or inside conduit. And last for a very long time.

So,I,can use 6g twhn-2 for the exposed portion of the array EGC, AND also for my GEC?

Back