diy solar

diy solar

Electrical panel work for off-grid EcoFlow vs grid-interactive

FoggySolar

Hi, everyone. I'm putting together my first solar system following some long power outages.

Some context:
- I rent my home, but the property manager does cover small permanent upgrades like electrical panel work.
- I have space for 6-8 panels in the backyard if I can get through permits/approvals.
- Daily usage is 25-30kWh (when not charging an EV), mostly from the furnace blower.
- I’ve had about 8 power outages in the last 3 months, the last two over 4 days each.

My main goal is to stay powered during a long outage. Offsetting the cost and saving money would be nice (daytime rate is 45c/kWh) but is secondary.
I got excited about building a full Victron system until I realized how much permitting would be involved in California. And it looks like things are still shaking out in terms of UL listing their equipment and server rack batteries.
My short term plan is two Ecoflow Delta Pro generators connected to my main panel. Maybe that allows me to add solar or a server rack battery with no/minimal permits.
If I build something more DIY later, I'd like to support the automated grid-interactive features (but not exporting to the grid) of the Victron. Does an interlock or transfer switch limit me later? Does one make more sense than the other? Is there any panel work I can ask for now to avoid having it done later?

Some tricky questions there I don't have a clue on.
It you're renting maybe the landlord would do it or at least contribute.
At least you can take the Delta Pro generators with you.....If you have to move.

Back