diy solar

diy solar

embarrassing newbie question re: charging battery via inverter/charger

tashi

hi everyone

I have a Xantrex Freedom XC PRO Inverter/Charger in my van, and 2 x 150 amp hour LiFePO4 batteries. Over the winter, the batteries were discharged completely I believe. My question is, can I charge up those batteries via the inverter/charger using shore power? It seems like something I should obviously know, but have never been told and there's nothing specific in either the battery or inverter/charger manuals. If I can, I'll just need to figure out the order of process, i.e. what settings on the inverter, etc.

thanks!
Robin (the very green new van owner....)

Generally yes. Although the inverter may need to sense it is connected to a viable battery for it to boot up and function. Give it a go. Worst case "jump start" the discharged battery with another 12v source.

Looks like battery charger stuff is described on page 60 of this document. I dont know if you have the 1000w or 2000w model but id be surprised if they didnt function identically as far as their grid charger functionality, other than max current perhaps.

But basically, if the inverter has ac input power available and the battery is not already being held at float, it should initiate charging based on the battery type and prameters you set, without requiring you to actually ‘start’ it.

The documentation says it will charge a completely dead battery (down to 0 volts) so no need to trick it into charging really low batteries like some chargers require. Just make sure it has the charging profile selected that matches your battery chemistry.

I have the XC 3000 Pro. Yes, it will automatically sense and charge a battery that has been discharged to the point where its Battery Management System has put it into "sleep" mode to protect it. That happened once to me, and I just plugged the shore power into a household outlet and came back a little while later and it was charging the batteries just fine. The Xantrex inverter can "wake up" a sleeping battery.

Back