diy solar

diy solar

EMT Conduit Parts for a Raintight System?

jmoles

I’m shopping around for my 3/4” EMT conduit parts and could use some help sorting out what I can and can’t use for conduit bodies. My inspector wants the fittings to be rain tight.

It seems like all the threaded conduit bodies are rigid. Can I use those with EMT tubing and RT fittings or are is there spacific type of conduit bodies I should be using with EMT for a rain tight run?

Also are there any good sites online that stock and sell conduit parts or stock parts particularly for solar installs?

I'm a little confused. Does the inspector say its okay to use metallic conduit, rigid or flexible, but wants the connections into the boxes to be liquid tight?
If that is the case, then these terminal connectors are widely available including big box stores.

On the other hand, if this is outdoors and the inspector wants a waterproof connection, then you can use rigid or flexible PVC and run the ground wires inside the conduit with water tight terminals into the boxes.

Lastly, there is this product which is PVC coated metal flexible conduit:

"Liquid-Tight Flexible Metallic Conduit"

It is flexible metallic aluminum covered with PVC.

I'm a little confused. Does the inspector say its okay to use metallic conduit, rigid or flexible, but wants the connections into the boxes to be liquid tight?
If that is the case, then these terminal connectors are widely available including big box stores.

Another way of putting my question is: What conduit bodies can I use with EMT in wet locations? I think I found one here that meets the requirements.

My plan is to use EMT conduit. The boxes, connections, fittings needs to be listed for wet areas Per 314.15

I was having trouble finding conduit bodies listed for use with EMT In wet locations.

All the ones I was coming across were listed for rigid & IMC. Example here.

On the other hand, if this is outdoors and the inspector wants a waterproof connection, then you can use rigid or flexible PVC and run the ground wires inside the conduit with water tight terminals into the boxes.
This will be roof mounted.

I’m shopping around for my 3/4” EMT conduit parts and could use some help sorting out what I can and can’t use for conduit bodies. My inspector wants the fittings to be rain tight.

It seems like all the threaded conduit bodies are rigid. Can I use those with EMT tubing and RT fittings or are is there spacific type of conduit bodies I should be using with EMT for a rain tight run?

Also are there any good sites online that stock and sell conduit parts or stock parts particularly for solar installs?
If shopping at big box store the rain tight combo is to screw rain tight fittings into those RGD bodies like you said.

There are specialty EMT conduit fittings that you can order too, which have rain tight compression fittings baked into the body of the fitting. You aren’t going to find these at the big box. There will be one less failure point I guess.

All the ones I was coming across were listed for rigid & IMC. Example here.
Those set screws are for convenient EMT install, but obviously would not be rain tight.

Here is an example of one of those specialty EMT fittings, it’s not a wet location one though, more of a visual reference / pointer to a product line that has specialty EMT stuff

The LB you linked to will work This is the type of fitting you need to look for. Usually they have a blue mark of some type so the inspector knows it's not a standard compression fitting

Can these blue fittings pass inspection if they’re installed into PVC junction boxes where the holes were made with a step bit? The gasket looks like it will seal it up well enough.

Back