diy solar

diy solar

Enphase Ensemble or Sol-Ark with HomeGrid batts?

Famtraveler24

Struggling with the cost of the Enphase system when compared to what I would get from using 2 Sol Ark 12k inverters with 30kw of batteries from HomeGrid (or other).

Any advice? I just don't want to overpay.

My roofline is almost always in the sun, so do I really need microinverters?

Thx.

Struggling with the cost of the Enphase system when compared to what I would get from using 2 Sol Ark 12k inverters with 30kw of batteries from HomeGrid (or other).

Any advice? I just don't want to overpay.

My roofline is almost always in the sun, so do I really need microinverters?

Thx.

One of the pros I hear about microinverters is if one fails, you still have the other ones operating. If the main inverter fails on a DC to DC setup, you are without power until repaired or replaced.

But since you are looking at having two main inverters, that shouldn’t be a big concern.

There are optimizers for DC to DC if shading is ever a problem.

I've seen a few videos where people test the shading thing, and it seems that the partial shading isn't really that big of a selling point for me personally when you're talking microinverters. If you have multiple strings in your array, you are more-or-less protecting yourself against shading issues, nothing is entirely shade proof, I mean, shade is shade no matter what type of equipment you have in place (microinverters isn't going to make the shade go away). It seems a lot of the guys selling solar use microinverters as a selling point that if one dies, you still have some power, and the point of shading as a real issue (when I don't think it is). But really, I think its they don't want to sell or install or support a string inverter. Again, I could be wrong but this seems to be what I am seeing from my point of view. If you look at a John Deere tractor, the salesperson will tell you the steering linkage is a bad design on the Kubota. The Kubota salesperson will point out that JD has a proprietary hitch and pin connectors on the bucket. Same thing happening with the string inverter salesperson versus the microinverter salesperson. For me, I didn't want microinverters outside in the elements, where they heat up, could be stolen (I have a ground mount), or crushed by a tree. I don't have any personal direct experience with microinverters, but I assumed you have to run AC power from your array, to your main service panel which I have questions about (length of wire, gauge, bury depth, conduit). I like the idea of thin PV wire carrying higher voltage but lower amps to my inverter on the wall in my secured and air/humidity controlled basement or power house.

Last edited:
Back