diy solar

diy solar

Everybody... use safe conditions working...

Leather gloves are proper protection to prevent puncture of electrically insulating rubber gloves worn underneath.
Leather absorbs water, isn't a good dielectric. It shouldn't be relied on for insulation when working with hazardous voltages.

My first PV array had screw terminals, so I had to carefully hold insulated handle of screwdriver while inserting wires.
Touch-safe MC3 or MC4 completely solves that. Just ensure current has been interrupted before disconnecting, and make sure approximately zero volts between connectors before connecting. A DMM will read voltage at first, then that decays toward zero as capacitance of floating wires charges up. Don't want to complete circuit to a load and have current start flowing. In the case of paralleling PV strings, I use the DMM to make sure little voltage between them before mating connectors, closing touch-safe fuse holders, or closing breaker.

Covering PV panels serves to drop current near zero so that's a way to avoid make/break with current flow. However, voltage can still be near full voltage and current available is still enough to be lethal.
all sounds like good advice. I’ll wear rubber insulated gloves instead. not paralleling any strings so no concerns there. 2x 3s strings each going to their own controller. controller output will parallel on bus bars. i have 15a fuse for the hot lead on each string, im going to terminate them into breakers (for a disconnect). the output of the controllers will go through a gfdi breaker before it lands on the bus bars. I’ll have a disconnect either way (cut the panels or cut the whole solar charging system from the house circuit.

Gloves aren't a good idea around rotating machinery. Different kind of injury.
I agree. I used to be a machinist in my younger years and we couldn't wear gloves or even rings around the equip.

The old timers who didn't heed the warnings were always missing some fingers.

Better to take the appropriate safety efforts for the type of Hazzard at hand.

Hope he heals up well and without any infection from that wound.

I'm typically wearing Nitrile gloves when I'm doing anything in the garage or in my RV trailer. It keeps my hands clean primarily, helps with grip and as a bonus should help reduce my conductivity.

One of my favorites: 1984, pulling fish tape down through panel using Kleins. Right hand slipped off Kleins and hand/arm rapidly flung backwards until that motion was stopped when index fingernail hit the corner of a surface mounted 4" square box. Not one of the nice rounded corner boxes, but the welded square corner types. Result was fingernail that looked like I had held a Phillips screwdriver tip against my fingernail and hit the handle of the screwdriver with a sledge hammer. Fortunately the bone in my finger kept the fingernail from penetrating all the way through my finger.

shit happens lol. couple months ago I put my pocket knife through my thumb. went out the nail, through the mousepad, and into the table

I've been pretty lucky, been working around tools and mechanics since I was a little kid (68 now) and never got more than a scratch.

However.... I was given one of those pocket multi-tool knives for Christmas one year. I don't know what it is about that knife, but if I just look at it I get a cut. It's now in my emergency/camping kit as a defensive weapon. If I can open it it without slicing a finger off.

All,
Personal Protection Device/Equipment (PPD/PPE) is your last defense. You need to have an Engineering Control.
Visual open disconnect or use your meter to ensure no load or back-feed.
PPE/PPD may be different for different tasks. Always check your PPD/PPE. Do Not abuse your PPE/PPD.
Sadly, about 11 days ago, my company just lost a 28 years old lineman due to electrical contact. This is serious stuff.
PS: If you have pre-existing condition (cardio-issue), a small electrical contact can be fatal.

Different kinds of tools, different kinds of accidents:

You should never allow any spot on your body to be grounded.

Well at least only one bloody aftermath picture. But Oh can I relate! Chain saw cut down to the knee cap. And hey my knee cap looks like a piece of white plastic. Knife cuts, sliced fingers, arms, legs, ... from shape metal, metal debris flakes in my eyes, damaged tendons, hot slag burns including to the inner ear channel, almost loosing a finger due to my wedding band catching on a ledge, dc arc shorting through wedding band, … I guess that’s why I can relate to Tim The Tool Man and being on a first name basis at the local ER. For me, the bulk of these “accidents“ I had PPE on. Gust of wind swirled metal flakes into my eye. The hot slag bounced perfectly off something behind me and perfectly flew around a full face welding mask into my ear. Scrap metal and metal plate can be as sharp as a razor and slice oh so quickly through leather. Because of the two incidents with the wedding ring, for my safety I don’t wear it anymore. Just too dangerous. So yes I do have all my fingers, hands,… because I use PPE but STUFF still happens. DIY lifers have the blacken finger nails, bent fingers, scares, … to show for our lifetime of working hands. Be safe, use PPE, but keep the first aid box near.

Last edited:
Ugh.... ya jinxed me, this just happened.. in fact I can still smell the flesh......

Seeing as we're having a "swingin injury contest"..... LOL

Never underestimate the power of Gabapentin (a nerve pain medication similar to Oxy but not a scheduled narcotic, started it yesterday due to Ulnar Nerve Entrapment and upcoming surgery)... and a Summer day in Arizona with the SCC maxed out.... the med did as it's intended... i didn't feel a think as I reached behind the SCC and BB's to plug a fan into the outlet. I guess I should have looked at the SCC first..... if I had had a cold or sinus congestion and been unable to smell it, (cus that's what alerted me, not the pain... well I may be exagerating a wee bit, I didn't feel anything, just noticed it when I pulled my arm out) I reckon you'd find me in a pile of ashes by now cus I felt NOTHING!!!! Note, this was from my arm being pressed against the side of the CASE (blue) not heatsink (black).

Those of you who know I use to work in law enforcement can skip the "I THOUUUUUGHT I SMMMMELLED BACON" comments.... my dog beat you too it... LOL ?

Play safe kids... and remember, just cus you have sense, doesn't mean you have feeling, or is it the other way around. :unsure:

1625856440084.png

1625856657539.png

Last edited:
Ugh.... ya jinxed me, this just happened.. in fact I can still smell the flesh......

Seeing as we're having a "swingin injury contest"..... LOL

Never underestimate the power of Gabapentin (a nerve pain medication similar to Oxy but not a scheduled narcotic, started it yesterday due to Ulnar Nerve Entrapment and upcoming surgery)... and a Summer day in Arizona with the SCC maxed out.... the med did as it's intended... i didn't feel a think as I reached behind the SCC and BB's to plug a fan into the outlet. I guess I should have looked at the SCC first..... if I had had a cold or sinus congestion and been unable to smell it, (cus that's what alerted me, not the pain... well I may be exagerating a wee bit, I didn't feel anything, just noticed it when I pulled my arm out) I reckon you'd find me in a pile of ashes by now cus I felt NOTHING!!!! Note, this was from my arm being pressed against the side of the CASE (blue) not heatsink (black).

Those of you who know I use to work in law enforcement can skip the "I THOUUUUUGHT I SMMMMELLED BACON" comments.... my dog beat you too it... LOL ?

Play safe kids... and remember, just cus you have sense, doesn't mean you have feeling, or is it the other way around. :unsure:

View attachment 55590

View attachment 55592
Oh thats terrible. Hope it heals quickly for you and remember that burns like that can get infected easily. So keep it clean and use antibiotic ointment on it daily like newsprint.

Oh thats terrible. Hope it heals quickly for you and remember that burns like that can get infected easily. So keep it clean and use antibiotic ointment on it daily like newsprint.
Thanks... I have this personal injury stuff down to an art.... it's why I post my stuff in the humor section, not the safety section... ;)

I have a matching one on the other side from a gen muffler after I did a carb rebuild, so it seems appropriate to have a matching SCC one..... but are you sure the ink from the newsprint won't come off the pages, sink into the burn and cause it issues? :unsure: ;)

I'm more urinated off by the loss of the tan than the inevitable scar... I worked hard on that tan... ?

Jen

Last edited:
may arm heal quick and surgery go well. and tan restored.

wear PPE people ☺️

sending healthy vibes out to y’all builders

a few months ago, i unwired an old AC fan that was broken. first AC box i’d opened up on my own.

donned magid rubber gloves with manufacturing date in last six months, and then magid leather protective glove for rubber. verified circuit live with DMM, turn branch off at breaker, verify circuit cold with extinguished lights and also DMM ;) open up box and unscrew and unplug wires leading to fan. quintuple check i didn’t do something dumb like connect hot to neutral.

managed to keep all my skin and flesh that time ?

this is how i felt:

1625859228962.jpeg

1625859251833.jpeg1625859259651.jpeg

I have more injuries than I can count from working on pool equipment. I've been shocked a bunch by 120v and 240v, had my saturated wet hands ripped open on sharp ABS and metal, and been shocked underwater.

I slipped on some slick coping tile last year and tore my fingers, knees, and face open when they smashed into the stupid, sharp, pebbletech cement. I almost lost consciousness from that one, and it's something that PPE wouldn't have done anything to prevent.

Plus, PPE is f**king hot to wear in the summer sun (it also messes up my ability to work with small PCB boards and wiring terminals) and not many people I work with wear much, if any.

Thanks... I have this personal injury stuff down to an art.... it's why I post my stuff in the humor section, not the safety section... ;)

I have a matching one on the other side from a gen muffler after I did a carb rebuild, so it seems appropriate to have a matching SCC one..... but are you sure the ink from the newsprint won't come off the pages, sink into the burn and cause it issues? :unsure: ;)

I'm more urinated off by the loss of the tan than the inevitable scar... I worked hard on that tan... ?

Jen
Ha, sorry about that. I just caught that my typing of neosporin got zuto corrected to newsprint. Its actually difficult for me as it is typing having severe arthritis in my hands. I would like to know what genius invented auto correct anyhow. Its caused me more typos than any spelling errors I have ever made. :)

Back