diy solar

diy solar

Existing Distribution Panel in Trailer to Connect small solar system

kencoultas

i4ppf8Aav7SGaLazdG4umKVZp1l3H9I37GtIPpUDSuGpDBYKLryrQLAXpjNIYDpaiWYndGQ4G5nwbPr2gIFEcCBM5SekvkahYdnu1lwxGZDdUveJnCqtQr7gxfeiPDnhEwMn9ddrMt4KhwapzxEizVw

The trailer has a Progressive Dynamics PD5000 distribution panel (see above pic), and I’d like to use this panel with the solar components. Currently, on the DC + connections (shown on the picture above on the left, there are two large gauge wires going in. I believe one is from the battery, and one is from the PD9200 Converter. (see pic below)

9B1Qmapk2ivec3vDqJn3eVcd3CriXOpAYJVQ7SHuOFBQCTVz_YYVMhvZtK8K_oVy-M648pzCmJcKK4bmMQ993Do-iO8APLRl-cVQ2Ntp7Issl2rfh9NVlepXWEYVXOXFM2mpa_qi75A4uYm6OJubGWY

As best I can tell, the white negative DC wires from the battery and the converter are feeding in here. (see picture below)
0LA48nhqBBI2ItQMKnPxIOFXRyA0-Oejvls7V6E_1daog2j54uyj5XG_gNF_Tom0wiaJ9uTbimPqS4dcapra8uMCaguXK-VPho4Pg4hRFRMSammqpI_7iamHLbyomQnpRsITGPgbZl5uE2njAX3Kn-0

Can I wire my charge controller (in the places the arrows are pointing in the above pics^^) directly to my distribution panel in one of the following ways?
A) connecting the wire into the terminals shown above: for the positive, squeezing two wires into one terminal or port, since for the positive both terminals have wires in them, and for the negative, placing a wire into any empty port.
B) disconnect the converter, since I want to unplug completely anyway, and use the DC output wires from the converter to wire into my charge controller in the battery output connections.
C) would some wagos be good options to add a 3rd positive wire from the charge controller into the distribution panel?
MDhdazHuiUG_otMzG7yHFvix67dYvAJzQl3q_obNXsDPxtIRDeOtyfk960n4qtpv7CxNWdleLKZrYvciojzRM0c8Li63CHSrKhEIkwKC7Ebz0zL59tfEFcFLowMrhGBbwpP7RplcWKM82CTkx3JPr7M

Problem: The existing power distribution panel is using what seems like very large gauge wire , and my charge controller looks like this: the ports seem too small to get any good wire gauge into them, maybe 10 awg at best. Does anyone have experience with this brand or a type of charge controller that looks like this, and have any advice? I’ve seen the same exact one under a few different names.

(Pic of converter below–i won't be using this, so can I just take these two wired and connect them to my battery outs of the charge controller)
TvYomXNq2PD9B4DLOLM9o_OKF2VlYFaVwhXCDqRbWau18CasnFz2Hak3Nj3SsMaRz4cBfrjZATFD9BJh2YRwLEHi6JgL5s5d-oARKmEVE0fi_4YpMojagtAerq5jp6b0cigsP5h9DWZ1r0-WY9eV4AE

How much solar panel do you have? 10AWG can probably handle it. How is your DC fuse panel loaded? If you can come up with a spare slot, you could feed the charge controller positive back through a spare fuse and tie the negative to the buss. Leave the converter in case you find shore power or a generator.

I've decided to wire the charge controller straight to the battery. I'm moving the battery location inside the trailer, which means I'll be running a new wire between my panel and the battery. Is there any need to fuse this connection between the battery and the panel? My though was the panel itself performed that function. Thanks for your help!

A fuse is there to protect the wire. If you get a short in the wire going to say your light, the fuse on that circuit will blow and the wire is protected. This covers everything on the load side of the panel. The wire between the panel and the battery also needs protection, you probably had a 30A DC circuit breaker on the frame out by the old battery location. If a short occurs, the CB trips and saves the day.

I have 3 batteries in parallel and have MRBF fuses on each of the positive terminals. If my battery positive comes loose from the panel and hits the frame, or if a negative lands on the positive terminal, my MRBF fuse will blow and save the wire.

Back