diy solar

diy solar

Experience with Daly BMS

Cycling JBD is not necessary. Attain the full charge voltage cell value or trigger over voltage protection, and it will sync to 100%.

There is nothing to be gained cycling. The benefit comes from triggering 100% when it's actually at 100%.
After fully charging the battery, how could I trigger over voltage protection to sync it?

After fully charging the battery, how could I trigger over voltage protection to sync it?

It's an either situation. You don't have to trigger over-voltage protection (OVP) to sync, but if you do, it will trigger 100%.

There is a "fully charged" voltage or something in the JBD settings. If cells get above that level, it will sync there to.

If you really want to force OVP, simply charge to a higher voltage to trigger a single cell to exceed limit.

It's an either situation. You don't have to trigger over-voltage protection (OVP) to sync, but if you do, it will trigger 100%.

There is a "fully charged" voltage or something in the JBD settings. If cells get above that level, it will sync there to.

If you really want to force OVP, simply charge to a higher voltage to trigger a single cell to exceed limit.

What I really want to do is correct the stated BMS capacity. It reads 560ah when it should read 1216ah. I don't think I have the right equipment to set it because when the the charger stops indicating a full pack, the cells are at 3.58-3.6v. Overvoltage is set to 3.65v and overvoltage release is set to 3.5v.

What I really want to do is correct the stated BMS capacity. It reads 560ah when it should read 1216ah. I don't think I have the right equipment to set it because when the the charger stops indicating a full pack, the cells are at 3.58-3.6v. Overvoltage is set to 3.65v and overvoltage release is set to 3.5v.

Can you provide screenshots of your settings?

Can you provide screenshots of your settings?
First page and second page of settings from the Overkill app:

nF35EE5.png

f2x6AMI.png

You have your battery set to 560Ah. That's why it reads that.

Total and cycle battery capacities should be set to the total capacity of the battery bank, i.e., 1216000

Change cell full voltage to 3500
Change balance start voltage to 3400
Delta to balance to 20
DISable Bal. only when charging.

1705886632909.png

You have your battery set to 560Ah. That's why it reads that.

Total and cycle battery capacities should be set to the total capacity of the battery bank, i.e., 1216000

Change cell full voltage to 3500
Change balance start voltage to 3400
Delta to balance to 20
DISable Bal. only when charging.

View attachment 190531
I set the suggested values, but Total and cycle battery capacity values doesn't stick. I wrote to the BMS with the correct values, but after closing the app and reopening, the old and incorrect values are read from the BMS. That has been my struggle. Any ideas outside of explicitly setting them? I also tried the xiaoxaing app and the behavior is the same.

I set the suggested values, but Total and cycle battery capacity values doesn't stick. I wrote to the BMS with the correct values, but after closing the app and reopening, the old and incorrect values are read from the BMS. That has been my struggle. Any ideas outside of explicitly setting them? I also tried the xiaoxaing app and the behavior is the same.

You try it with the Overkill JBD BMS tools on PC using a UART to USB adapter?

how do you have four cell and 1216AH
There are 4 cells and each one is 304ah.

You try it with the Overkill JBD BMS tools on PC using a UART to USB adapter?

I'll need to try that, but will need to order parts. Maybe the desktop app works better? It seems like a firmware problem but it could be either one.

I bet you if I buy a 3rd BMS and a DALY, it will all work fine. Right now when I disconnect the charger, the JBD switches off power so all the devices pulling from the battery get their load surprisingly dropped. My diesel heater is running off it and its bad to just drop the load on that kind of equipment because it needs to cool off first before shutting down. It starts smoking lol. Is there a setting for not dropping the load when the charger is done and it is disconnected?

There are 4 cells and each one is 304ah.

I'll need to try that, but will need to order parts. Maybe the desktop app works better? It seems like a firmware problem but it could be either one.

I bet you if I buy a 3rd BMS and a DALY, it will all work fine. Right now when I disconnect the charger, the JBD switches off power so all the devices pulling from the battery get their load surprisingly dropped. My diesel heater is running off it and its bad to just drop the load on that kind of equipment because it needs to cool off first before shutting down. It starts smoking lol. Is there a setting for not dropping the load when the charger is done and it is disconnected?
If you have four 3.2v cells in series to achieve a 12v battery than you have a 304ah battery. Am I missing something here?

If you have four 3.2v cells in series to achieve a 12v battery than you have a 304ah battery. Am I missing something here?
ah, well that is good to know I did the math wrong. The BMS doesn't report 304ah either, it reads 560ah. I can draw about 3.07 kWh's from the inverter that is connected to the pack from full capacity to BMS shutdown. Does that sound like 304ah?

ah, well that is good to know I did the math wrong. The BMS doesn't report 304ah either, it reads 560ah. I can draw about 3.07 kWh's from the inverter that is connected to the pack from full capacity to BMS shutdown. Does that sound like 304ah?
Sounds about right for capacity. I know you were saying the BMS would reset when you tried to set the capacity to 1216AH, but have you tried to set it to 304? Maybe it might save the setting.

I saw that earlier and my brain went:

That bms must use miliamp hours.

Sounds about right for capacity. I know you were saying the BMS would reset when you tried to set the capacity to 1216AH, but have you tried to set it to 304? Maybe it might save the setting.
I plan to do that and will report back. It will be an interesting experiment, but right now I need to use the pack and writing to the BMS has historically cut the power output.

Daly brand is junk.

Thought mine worked ok too until the weather got cold. ?
There is a setting for changing allowing discharge at lower temps.

I had my truck camper in the back shed last winter and battery appeared dead in the cold. Brought it into the heated shop overnight and magically fixed itself. Checking the settings I saw low temp discharge was set at 15°C. It is set much lower now.

Back