diy solar

diy solar

Feeding LV6048 with only 120v

TheCoachStone

In this video
Will says you can feed an LV6048 with only 120v if needed. I cannot find this in the manual. How does one do this?

In this video
Will says you can feed an LV6048 with only 120v if needed. I cannot find this in the manual. How does one do this?
Not sure what you are asking. Please specify the use case. Not familiar with the video referenced.

I didn't think that was possible.
But I will agree with you that he definitely says it in the video.
Maybe he can elaborate.
@Will Prowse

He says something like “you can feed it with 240v or 120v.” I’m just not sure how since it has a 4 wire input.
Oh, it sounds like the unit can be configured for single 120V input or split phase. Is that possible with this inverter? The manual doesn’t support it. I think that unit is designed for split phase, they make a 6500 48 (6548) that is single 120V input and output. If you own one already, try plugging one phase into L1 and add a matched neutral and apply power. If it needs 240 to operate it will not power up or power down.

Last edited:
I have MPP 6048's

During a storm, Utility out for days, needed to charge up the batteries, but no solar, and my generator (at that time) was 120 V only output.
Connected the Generator following the manual - with a jumper between L1 and L2 inputs. Generator only, no Grid.
batteries charged.
It worked with this model.
Edit: shown on page 7 of the manual, phase angle L1-L2 is set to zero in Setting 28.
I only used this method once, during a storm, just to get through. I never needed to do again, as the need never came up again, and now I have a 120/240 8kW generator set up with a proper MTS switch. All that to say, I am not recommending the zero phase angle between L1 and L2, just pointing out that this model supports this - if you need it. Do not connect to utiltiy/120-240 with this setting. Read the manual carefully.

Attachments

• LV6048 split phase manual-20201120.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 6
Last edited:
I have MPP 6048's

During a storm, Utility out for days, needed to charge up the batteries, but no solar, and my generator (at that time) was 120 V only output.
Connected the Generator following the manual - with a jumper between L1 and L2 inputs. Generator only, no Grid.
batteries charged.
It worked with this model.
Edit: shown on page 7 of the manual, phase angle L1-L2 is set to zero in Setting 28.
I only used this method once, during a storm, just to get through. I never needed to do again, as the need never came up again, and now I have a 120/240 8kW generator set up with a proper MTS switch. All that to say, I am not recommending the zero phase angle between L1 and L2, just pointing out that this model supports this - if you need it. Do not connect to utiltiy/120-240 with this setting. Read the manual carefully.
Good tip, would have never thought. If there is a will, there’s a way…

He says something like “you can feed it with 240v or 120v.” I’m just not sure how since it has a 4 wire input.
I'm using it in this mode. Jump L1/L2 on both the input and output.
You won't get the full 6000 watts in this mode, as the largest 120V input that I'm aware of is a 30amp twistlock, but it does work.

On page 37 of the manual the diagram shows L1 and L2 jumped together for single phase operation. However, it is rather vague on how this accomplished and if there is any setting it should be at.

Attachments

• LV6048 single phase.jpg
    LV6048 single phase.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 1
See the manual page I posted, page 7 to see the three different settings the inverter can be set.
You can see that the L1-L2 can be tied together, then you set this up in program 28 see page 19 of the attached manual.
I am not sure about setting up one of these as EU style 240 - it seems to me these are not designed for that application, since the inverter can be 120 to N (with both L1 and L2 tied together) but I don't see an option for 240 to N.
MPP make other inverters that are specifically for EU style grid.

Attachments

• LV6048 split phase manual-20201120.pdf
    3.8 MB · Views: 1
Back