diy solar

diy solar

Female newbie questions

Sorry, my internet was slow and you got more replies while I was typing. Anyways, Home Depot carries the Champion 2000w Dual-Fuel inverter generators that run gas OR propane for about $600 after tax.

CARB compliant, etc etc.
Just as an FYI, I've gone with this (dual fuel is the way to go).

I've used this (not as good, certainly not as clean power) for 5 years. Much louder, but also easily able to handle a 15,000 BTU air conditioner as commonly installed in campers. It works, it's reliable, but it is LOUD. It was also able to be delivered in two days (4 days before a hurricane in south Florida).

Last edited:
To Jenna, my cousin is in southwest PA and lives alone. I got her this Kerosene heater for power outages. Since she doesn't use it often, I also got her the ultra clean fuel in a 2 gallon jug at Walmart. There are zero fumes and it has kept her warm several times when the power was out.
I've used a kerosene heater, and I'd strongly recommend a big buddy heater (propane). Your sense of smell will thank you.

Get the hose to be able to use a bigger tank.

I have two of the 30 lb tanks I keep filled, but the 20 lb tanks for grills work just fine.

I've used a kerosene heater,///

Besides the smell - which kerosene smells like petroleum based products like paint, Kerosene heaters will leave a slight film all over the house plus produces carbon dioxide, nitrogen dioxide and Sulphur dioxide ... NOW none of those are going to hurt you if you just keep a window open but I would take Propane over kerosene any day

For daily use, it's too expensive...but if you just want to squirrel away a gallon or two for an overnight emergency, Klean Heat burns in a kerosene heater with no smell at all.

Klean-Heat

For daily use, it's too expensive...but if you just want to squirrel away a gallon or two for an overnight emergency, Klean Heat burns in a kerosene heater with no smell at all.

Klean-Heat
Except when lighting or extinguishing a kerosene heater, it isn't burning the fuel, it's filling up the tank. Always wear gloves that are impervious to kerosene, and ALWAYS do it outside. A properly adjust kerosene heater produces almost no smell when burning, but it's easier to just use propane. Certainly one less thing to worry about when she has already purchased a dual fuel generator. I've used both, a kerosene heater and a propane heater (and even used the fuel you linked to). I 100% recommend propane.

That kerosene smell lingers for months if you are dumb enough (like me) to use leather gloves when filling the tank while it is 20 degrees below zero.

Could I run my frig with the HF 2000 inverter ? It's on sale now - $30 bucks off
Please don't. The HF inverters are all Modified Sine inverters and will beat the hell out of the fridge's compressor. It may be cheap now but factor in the cost of all the new fridge's that you'll have to buy while using it.

Wait, do you mean their 2000w 12v inverter or their 2000w inverter generator? If you're talking about the generator then yes, you're good to go.

Last edited:
You would most likely be better with a generator. Panels and heaters can gobble up a lot of power. Let's see what others say.

P.S. can you post link to the Rich/Bluetti/Delta solution?
I agree. Get a Honda 2200i or WEN 56380i pure signwave dual fuel generator. Quiet as a mouse, and work great using a barbecue propane tank with the dual fuel option.
That will provide more power longer, and cost much less. If you just want to learn solar and want to pay more, than check out some of Will's 12V and 24V All in one builds.
I have the Honda, and I bought my son the WEN. They both work great.

I have plenty of Harbor Freight and I will continue to buy it. The HF stuff I buy is not for every day use. If for every day use, I will get something a little better.

The HF stuff I buy is not for every day use. If for every day use, I will get something a little better.
HF stuff is one of two things: junk, not even a toy; or fairly decent.
I’m very selective on what I buy there.

Probably if you selected well and item(s) were worth buying once they are probably good enough for everyday use. Sockets are superb for the cost, for example. As part of vocation I’ve ‘tested’ some items quite extensively lol

Back