diy solar

diy solar

Finally, the start of my 25kw Ground Mount grid-tie system

Try to get 19 strand if you can, it's easier to crimp on MC connectors if you're doing it yourself. There are a range of strands available, from 7 up to higher numbers. 7 strand is too stiff and hard to get a good crimp.

I'm seeing about .50 a foot on ebay and shorter reels (500' or less). I sent out a message to a seller to see if they could supply two 2500' reels. I'm not expecting much of an inspiring answer, but worth a shot.

He got back to me and said the price advertised is the price regardless of larger quantities. I mentioned the price some other vendors are providing and he said that is below his cost.

I guess now, I just need to pick a place that has 1000' or larger spools and more than 7strand. So far.... that's none. LOL

Got the 12 ground screws that CED had in stock installed today. Went really well. I had a couple that refused with about an inch or two left, but I'm quite certain they will be good enough. I'm very glad I didn't get the longer screws because I think it would have been a consistent issue. Not much to look at, but here is a picture. CED should hopefully have the rest in 1-2 weeks. I'm REALLY hoping that is the case because then I should be able to get the rest of them installed. Then that pretty much allows me to do however much I feel like through winter, especially if I get the rest of the ditch dug. At that point I could pretty much assemble to completion through winter.

Attachments

• IMG_20211211_140957.jpg
    IMG_20211211_140957.jpg
    219.2 KB · Views: 16
Any thoughts on the following MC4 Connector?

I would need 6 sets of them to connect to the panels (two for each series, 6 series total). What I am not sure of is if they will play well with the MC4 connectors on the Hyundai panels I'm getting. Any takes?

Any takes on the crimper they have? https://thepowerstore.com/mc4-crimp-tool.html

Any thoughts on the following MC4 Connector?

I would need 6 sets of them to connect to the panels (two for each series, 6 series total). What I am not sure of is if they will play well with the MC4 connectors on the Hyundai panels I'm getting. Any takes?

Any takes on the crimper they have? https://thepowerstore.com/mc4-crimp-tool.html
I don't know anything about Staubli.. I tend to stick with either an Amphenol or Tyco connectors so I don't have to worry about cheaply made garbage.

You'll have to look up Staubli.. make sure its not some Chinese company.

Also, when make your connections, smear some dielectric grease on the o-rings and metal connection points for good measure.

Renvu has both Tyco and Amphenol connectors for cheaper than the Staubli link you posted.

Thanks! I might get some of the smaller parts from Renvu then.

Did you guys have to put your wire that ran along the ground mount framework in conduit? If so, how did you "exit" the conduit to go to the panels? Was it something like this?

What did you do for wire management on the backside where the extra PV cable wasn't in conduit? Some sort of clips, zip ties, etc....?

Staubli holds the patent on mc4 connectors, probably the most reliable manufacturer.

I did not use conduit on my framework, I zip tied it to the frame. They make cable clips that attach to frame of the panels and hold the wire. I got these on Amazon.

Last edited:
Should I run into compatibility issues between the Staubli MC4 connectors and those on the panels. Looking at the datasheet, it says: MC4 compatible.

Any comments on the crimpers or do ya'll think I should look for something better?

Did you guys have to put your wire that ran along the ground mount framework in conduit? If so, how did you "exit" the conduit to go to the panels? Was it something like this?

What did you do for wire management on the backside where the extra PV cable wasn't in conduit? Some sort of clips, zip ties, etc....?

I tucked my wire into the corners of the framework with zip ties. Since I used IronRidge XR1000 rails, there's a T shaped groove that holds the wires.

As for the sideways runs, I used open PVC counduit. No seals, no special wire compressions, just end the conduit and let the wires come out.. I did use 90's turned down where I though water could possibly get in.

The conduit is just there to prevent a squirrel from chewing on it or something..

They do sell clips for the wires that clamp to the panel frame.

Any comments on the crimpers or do ya'll think I should look for something better?

That's exactly what I used, only I think mine are either Ideal or Kline or something.

I also dipped my wire into dielectric grease before crimping.. Do everything you can to stop corrosion...

Should I run into compatibility issues between the Staubli MC4 connectors and those on the panels. Looking at the datasheet, it says: MC4 compatible.

MC4 is MC4..

There might be an issue if you purchase the tool that makes disconnecting them easy.. Some of the MC4 connectors have a wider retaining clip, but it doesn't make a difference when connecting them.

MC4 = MC4, that's what I thought as well. Ya never know though.

I just took a look at another local install from a guy that lives up the road a bit. He went with 30 degrees, iron ridge w ground screws, and micro inverters. I didn't measure hit front edge, but it may have been closer to 4ft. It was pretty high.

He didn't have any conduit that ran along the racking. Everything was zip tied and near the rails for the panels there were the little wire holders that fit in the rail channels.

He did have a mesh net on the bottom side of the panels, which I really hope I don't have to do. That would be a pia, not look good, and hinder my bifacial production. I assume the netting was to keep animals away from the wiring.

I only took a couple photos of the system I looked at as I didn't want to sit there and snap photos all day. I literally just knocked on his door a few weeks ago and introduced myself when I saw he was installing a ground mount system.

IMG_20211212_132926.jpgIMG_20211212_132913.jpg

I used waterproof conduit boxes with gland nuts like those.
If cables feed in bottom holes on boxes, then doesn't need to be water tight gland nuts because drip-proof.

I cut pre-made MC cables to make pigtails, had those come out of boxes on arrays, ran rigid conduit from there surface-mount and underground to combiner. I spliced MC pigtails to THHN/THWN with wire nuts, now using Ideal set-screw nuts. Along the frame, MC cable exposed.

Back