diy solar

diy solar

Finally, the start of my 25kw Ground Mount grid-tie system

My first system, I ran PVC surface mounted along outside wall of garage, then underground to a concrete wall where I put an indoor breaker panel in a shed, then surface mount along that two three ground mounts. Inspector passed it and I got PG&E hookup. Took a couple tries to get correct net metering time of use meter; one request was processed as standard time of use meter and PG&E guy observed that was incorrect because I had PV.

(I installed and had working prior to PG&E request, but with human meter reader they observed and threatened to disconnect if not approved. I even put a motion sensor at gate to shut off inverter so they likely wouldn't see meter spinning backwards, but they knew.)

After I expanded to another array, that inspector said the PVC could only be vertical from box to underground, not use for horizontal surface-mounted runs. Hose clamps holding conduit to array frame. And he commented on my having putting a shed around the panel because it wasn't a rainproof panel. He also didn't like my catawampus struts supporting 18' rails, expanding the size of what were originally pole mounts with 9' rails. (bolted to concrete where that was, rather than legs in all the right places.

I removed shed (really a 19" rack with walls and roof) put a 3R panel on the garage just before underground run, redid all the runs with rigid, used unistrut to hold conduit to metal structure, think I may have put in for a new permit with some additional panels? Anyway I think it was done right that time, and new inspector passed it.

Another system I did on a coworker's shake roof, with unistrut. EMC (I think) down to disconnects by panel & meter. Drilled hole in concrete walkway and drove in ground rod. Inspector asked how deep the rod was, I said all the way (We probably spent an hour or two pounding it). Guess they often have people drive it in part way and cut off.

I think inspectors look for the usual shortcuts. Grounding not properly done, improper materials.
Also professional looking and clean. When I did a panel at my sister's hours and mounted yard lights under the eaves with EMC to boxes, so all wires in metal, inspector liked that.

Alrighty. Inspection results are in. Overall great IMO, minus sorta one exception.

He wants wire gauges on my 1 line drawing - easy
I need a ground rod at each physical array - pretty easy/fast
I need to enclose under the array so no one or thing can get to the wires - fawk - just what I was afraig of.

I think I can do a net under the panels or I can put a lightweight fence around the base of the ground mount to make sure it go up to the panels and encapsulate the area where wires would be accessible. He mentioned some people use chicken wire or orange construction fencing. lol. He told me the article in the NEC book is quite vague and for me to interpret it how I think. lol. NEC-690.33.(B) Doing a quick google search did not yield this specific section, but when I get more time I'll try to locate the pdf version I have and see what it says. If anyone has the latest verion, feel free to take a pic of that section ;)

The gnd rods, ok. The oneline, ? The 3rd item I would want to see a specific code requirement for. A lot of people especially on farms leave the arrays open specifically for their chickens and such. I've seen others that basically use the space as a shed. If anything there should be a height requirement, below this block access. But overall with all the work you've done and considering you built a power plant! Excellent job.

Yeah, the first two items are easy and not a big deal.

In the 2014 code book it states this:

(B) Guarding. The connectors shall be constructed and
installed so as to guard against inadvertent contact with live
parts by persons.

WTF, that is about as vague as one can get. It is literally just referring to connectors. My friend is grabbing a 2020 book from the office to see if this has changed. I can not find this excerpt online for the 2020 book.

And that is already taken care of by MC connectors and boxes requiring tools to access. Actually, it addresses "connectors" only. As in, exposed terminals of SCC or PV junction box.

Dangling wires people could pull on could be the problem inspector is thinking of.

Ask the inspector if cable tying plastic construction fence to underside of array, extending to cover all MC wires up until they enter junction boxes would be good. That lets you have easy access to mow weeds that otherwise grow up between panels.

Yeah, the code is real vague and any exposed "connections" I have are MC4 and everything else needs tools to access. To me, I've already satisfied this.

I could redo the wiring organizing on the back of the panels as to keep all wiring within the middle of the array (between the front and back vertical posts). This way I could probably run a "net" along the bottom, only between the posts, of the panels to "protect" the wiring. This would probably yield in a cleaner install and have less netting behind my beautiful bifacial panel. Then the question begs, how large can the holes in "said net" be? lol.

If there were exposed electrical contacts, standard test probes are used to see if a finger could reach.
The system already complies with that, requiring a tool to access.

Normally, romex is used only where inaccessible. Somebody said if you have an attic ladder not just a hatch accessed by portable ladder, the wires in attic need to be further back from hole.

You have plastic cables all over the array. Preventing people from dangling from them might be the idea. Don't know what if any formal requirements there are. That's why I suggest posing the question of construction fencing (or chicken wire) cable tied to the unused mounting holes, such that all wires are behind the fencing. And everything underneath remains a walkable area.

Finished the ground rods and got the one line adjusted to the system since it changed a little and added in the wire sizes.

I just need to figure out this stupid fence thing. The 2020 book says the exact same thing as the 2014 book.

690.33.(B) Guarding. The connectors shall be constructed and
installed so as to guard against inadvertent contact with live
parts by persons.

Live Parts. Energized conductive components.

2017 Code Language:

110.27(A)(4) Live Parts Guarded Against Accidental Contact.

By elevation above the floor or other working surface as follows:

a. A minimum of 2.5 m (8 ft) for 50 volts to 300 volts between ungrounded conductors

b. A minimum of 2.6 m (8 ft 6 in.) for 301 volts to 600 volts between ungrounded conductors

c. A minimum of 2.62 m (8 ft 7 in.) for 601 volts to 1000 volts between ungrounded conductors.

Guarded. Covered, shielded, fenced, enclosed, or other-
wise protected by means of suitable covers, casings, barri-
ers, rails, screens, mats, or platforms to remove the likeli-
hood of approach or contact by persons or objects to a point
of danger.

I think he would have been better of citing this:

690.31.(A) Wiring Systems. All raceway and cable wiring meth-
ods included in this Code, other wiring systems and fittings
specifically listed for use on PV arrays, and wiring as part
of a listed system shall be permitted. Where wiring devices
with integral enclosures are used, sufficient length of cable
shall be provided to facilitate replacement.
Where PV source and output circuits operating at maxi-
mum system voltages greater than 30 volts are installed in
readily accessible locations, circuit conductors shall be
guarded or installed in a raceway.
Informational Note: Photovoltaic modules operate at el-
evated temperatures when exposed to high ambient tem-
peratures and to bright sunlight. These temperatures rou-
tinely exceed 70°C (l58°P) in many locations. Module
interconnection conductors are available with insulation
rated for wet locations and a temperature rating of 90°C
( 194°F) or greater.

So it seems this does mean that any wires under the panels need to be "guarded". Now the best way to go about this. My back horizontal rail is pretty much 8'7" off the ground. If I move my wires that are on the lower part of the racking to the middle of the racking in between the the rack rails that parallel the ground then I could get away with ONLY "guarding" this section because there would be no wire below and any wire that is above the high side rail would be 8'7" or higher.

Alrighty. Any ideas for suitable material that won't break the bank and won't F*** up my bifacial panels' benefits?? So far the best I've come up with is some sort of plastic mesh fencing in black or white.

Last edited:
What live parts are not covered by a suitable guard or cover? You're using MC4 connectors which are a suitable guard and they are waterproof. You need tools to disconnect them. I would discuss this with the inspector and point out that you do not have any exposed live parts.

I'm just south of you in ID. Our inspector is requiring the same of our ground mount array. The guideline our inspector gave us is '6 foot chain link fence or equivalent'. We are opting for a simple 6' cattle fence around the array to satisfy the requirement. Seems the inspectors have all gone to the same school. I don't think you are going to find an easy out.

I posted in another thread about utilities here starting to install off-grid solar PV and battery systems for more remote properties instead of attempting to keep the long transmission grid wires in play. The photo of one such array in that story was interesting:

44e76a47eec17849628b0ffb07017e55

Another array also has fencing, which looks like they've just used an existing fence for one border.

c807e149670e2ba853bffc5fe783b294

None of the ground mount arrays on farms around here have surround fencing.

I called the inspector and asked if he would be ok with mesh/fencing with about 1" holes on the bottom of the panels where the wiring is below 8'7". I certainly don't want to buy anything or start moving wires if he wants something completely differently and won't allow that. I can't put anything that won't allow a bunch of light to pass through. I hope to hear back today, but it will more likely be tomorrow. It is definintely in the code book, so more or less just whatever their training or county is likely wanting them to do.

I got my hands on a copy of 2017 NEC. It says absolutely nothing about requiring a fence for 1000v and less.

110.27 Guarding of Live Parts.
(A) Live Parts Guarded Against Accidental Contact. Except as
elsewhere required or permitted by this Code, live parts of elec‐
trical equipment operating at 50 to 1000 volts, nominal shall be
guarded against accidental contact by approved enclosures or
by any of the following means:
(1)
(2)
• (3)
(4)
By location in a room, vault, or similar enclosure that is
accessible only to qualified persons.
By permanent, substantial partitions or screens arranged
so that only qualified persons have access to the space
within reach of the live parts. Any openings in such parti‐
tions or screens shall be sized and located so that persons
are not likely to come into accidental contact with the live
parts or to bring conducting objects into contact with
them.
By location on a balcony, gallery, or platform elevated and
arranged so as to exclude unqualified persons.
By elevation above the floor or other working surface as
follows:
a. A minimum of 2.5 m (8 ft) for 50 volts to 300 volts
between ungrounded conductors
b. A minimum of 2.6 m (8 ft 6 in.) for 301 volts to
600 volts between ungrounded conductors
c. A minimum of 2.62 m (8 ft 7 in.) for 601 volts to
1000 volts between ungrounded conductors

690.31.(A) Wiring Systems. All raceway and cable wiring meth-
ods included in this Code, other wiring systems and fittings
specifically listed for use on PV arrays, and wiring as part
of a listed system shall be permitted. Where wiring devices
with integral enclosures are used, sufficient length of cable
shall be provided to facilitate replacement.
Where PV source and output circuits operating at maxi-
mum system voltages greater than 30 volts are installed in
readily accessible locations, circuit conductors shall be
guarded or installed in a raceway.
Informational Note: Photovoltaic modules operate at el-
evated temperatures when exposed to high ambient tem-
peratures and to bright sunlight. These temperatures rou-
tinely exceed 70°C (l58°P) in many locations. Module
interconnection conductors are available with insulation
rated for wet locations and a temperature rating of 90°C
( 194°F) or greater.

Guarded. Covered, shielded, fenced, enclosed, or other-
wise protected by means of suitable covers, casings, barri-
ers, rails, screens, mats, or platforms to remove the likeli-
hood of approach or contact by persons or objects to a point
of danger.

ONLY when you get over 1000V does it start talking about fencing requirements. All excerpts from the NEC book

I put an electric fence around mine to keep the horses from scratching themselves on the panels and chewing on the wires. I'd try to get away with plastic snow fence and then take it all down after the inspection. If the inspector insists on something more than plastic snow fence, it's pretty cheap to run a 5 wire electric fence line around the whole thing, you can use steel T posts to support the wires. You almost wouldn't see it and it won't interfere with your bifacials. And keeping with the spirit of a solar array, get a solar powered fence charger to take care of any small children that wander in.

@MarkSolar Would you use T-Posts to hold up the snow fence or something else? I've not really had to deal with fencing much. With the price of that, it may be worth it to just throw it up for a bit and then tear it down.

Back